Improve Road Visibility in City Navigator

how the hell do you get a screen grab of a gps unit? :bow

and why does it come out yellow if the unit's the normal salmon colour?

how the hell do you get a screen grab of a gps unit? :bow

and why does it come out yellow if the unit's the normal salmon colour?
Sorry Cookie, should have explained, screen grab is by 'Ximage' a small (3.6mb) Garmin program.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

You can change the start up splash screen on some units with it too.

I think displays of the original Garmin color devices were that color of yellow, my Street Pilot III was, why they are different now, I wouldn't know :nenau

This is on the 3 mile scale, old on the left - Map modified with .typ on the right, something not working right now, roads have become a little bloated and it doesen't look good on the GPS

Nothing is wrong.

I have choosen too broad road lines to look good on the 60Cx. You may have noticed that the more "important" red roads are wider.

One option could be to choose different colors instead of different line width. I'll look into this and come up with a .typ file that fits better with the small 60Cx screen.

I have now updated the hallwag.typ file so it also shows lakes, etc.

I used this tool to fix all details. You can use the tool yourself to make roads narrower/wider and/or change colors to whatever you prefer. :)
I tried your new .typ file, can you tell me if its radically different to normal mapping as ether i'm setting the registry wrong or your typ is quite close to normal garmin mapping?, a picture might help :eek:

I tried your new .typ file, can you tell me if its radically different to normal mapping as ether i'm setting the registry wrong or your typ is quite close to normal garmin mapping?, a picture might help :eek:

Same as the pictures in earlier posts. Only difference is that lakes, golf corses, urban area shadings etc are now visible. Roads are the same as before.

newtyp2.bmp

Well done HMR, we now have sea!

I'll have to play a little more with this, it did look quite good on the 276c

Excellent, thanks for the update, maps did really look odd without water before, now it's spot on again. :thumb2

I have the modified mapping loaded on the 276c now, it does look good both in day and night mode, thanks again, :thumb2

I have been playing around with the .TYP file and found that in order to view the maps on the unit(in my case a 60csx) at a lower zoom with out the roads filling the screen with a splodge of road colour I have set all roads and borders to 1px which makes the maps much more readable .Has any one else noticed that when scrolling at lower zooms the screen redraws are pityfully slow.?
Dave

I've just got this working on a 60c using City Nav v8. You have to change the Family ID in the typ file, in this case to 143.
Attached are the family IDs for many Garmin maps.

Attachments

• 02 - Might Work - Listing of MAP IDs.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 611
I have been playing around with the .TYP file and found that in order to view the maps on the unit(in my case a 60csx) at a lower zoom with out the roads filling the screen with a splodge of road colour I have set all roads and borders to 1px which makes the maps much more readable .Has any one else noticed that when scrolling at lower zooms the screen redraws are pityfully slow.?
Dave
Are you finding the modified maps significantly slower than standard maps to draw on the 60CSx? (I don't find it quick anyway) but it doesn’t seem to bother the 276c, at least I haven’t noticed. If I get time I’ll try it on the 60 tonight, if you can post up the .typ file you’re using, I could try it on mine,

I've just got this working on a 60c using City Nav v8. You have to change the Family ID in the typ file, in this case to 143.
Attached are the family IDs for many Garmin maps.
Gaz, whats this ‘change Family ID’s’ do, am I missing something?

Are you finding the modified maps significantly slower than standard maps to draw on the 60CSx? (I don't find it quick anyway) but it doesn’t seem to bother the 276c, at least I haven’t noticed. If I get time I’ll try it on the 60 tonight, if you can post up the .typ file you’re using, I could try it on mine,

Very much slower,I can speed up the redraw before adding the typ file by turning off the proximity alerts for the speed cams. I was so unhappy with the speed of the csx against my 60c that i thought there was something wrong with it so I went to the outdoor show and spoke to Garmin.I tried my card in one of their display 60csx's and it was as slow as mine.
The typ file i have modded gives the Mways blue and major A roads green so its nealy like my tomtom maps...How do I post the file??
Dave

Gaz, whats this ‘change Family ID’s’ do, am I missing something?

I tried the default typ file that HMR posted (thanks !), it had a family ID set to the City Nav 2008 NT map. It had no effect on the colours of my City Nav v8 mapset when I sent them to the unit (though did work on screen). But when I changed the family ID to the right value (using this), the maps displayed properly on the unit with modded colours:).
(The 60c is quite old and doesn't support NT maps in any case). Hope this makes sense. It's just a way of generalising the modification to other units and mapsets.

Very much slower,I can speed up the redraw before adding the typ file by turning off the proximity alerts for the speed cams. I was so unhappy with the speed of the csx against my 60c that i thought there was something wrong with it so I went to the outdoor show and spoke to Garmin.I tried my card in one of their display 60csx's and it was as slow as mine.
The typ file i have modded gives the Mways blue and major A roads green so its nealy like my tomtom maps...How do I post the file??
Dave
Ah ! like me, you cant post files unless your a played up member (I’ve sadly lapsed) anyway there were only certain files you can post, but you can always sent it to me direct to martin’dot’ebdon’at’ntlworld’dot’com

I tried the default typ file that HMR posted (thanks !), it had a family ID set to the City Nav 2008 NT map. It had no effect on the colours of my City Nav v8 mapset when I sent them to the unit (though did work on screen). But when I changed the family ID to the right value (using this), the maps displayed properly on the unit with modded colours:).
(The 60c is quite old and doesn't support NT maps in any case). Hope this makes sense. It's just a way of generalising the modification to other units and mapsets.
Ah! That’s clearer! Thanks :)

Ah ! like me, you cant post files unless your a played up member (I’ve sadly lapsed) anyway there were only certain files you can post, but you can always sent it to me direct to martin’dot’ebdon’at’ntlworld’dot’com

Ebbo/Navig8r, I'd like to see those colours as well if you don't mind. Can you mail it to

gazzarandall'at'gmail.com

thanks

ebbo/Gaz, file sent to your mail box
edit
you will see you can scroll out to 8miles without the screen being obscured by the roads to much
Dave

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom