Winter Gloves.

Keith Chapman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My current Hien Gerricke gore-tex winter gloves are begining to die, damp fingers this morning:mad:
I dont want to go for handlebar muffs cos I would need a set for each bike.
so what is your fav warm, waterproof winter glove.:confused:

sorted!

Bought better, thicker, more expensive gloves year in year out for twenty or so years.

Sorted the problem last year once and for all.
Got myself some Gerbings electrically heated, high quality leather gloves.
Any amount of fluffy bulk will never equal (hold a candle to...doh) introducing outside heat. Combined with hot grips (glove elements do not run over palms) you step off the bike with WARM HANDS whatever the weather. Fantastic feeling.

Hien Gerricke 2 finger mits (pathan, I think there called) just £20 water proof and warm, out today in leeds and no need for heated grips! had them for 3 or 4 years still going strong

At the risk of repeating this handy advice from Canada

Gloves should be matched to the dexterity requirements for comfort and safety. The digits all have their own natural thermal delivery systems:- blood.

Purchase an electric vest, they suggest...

The evidence is overwhelming, as is the data .

Conclusions:-

"The application of heat to the torso region of the body
can keep the fingers and toes at a comfortable temperature
(22–25°C) for 2.5-3 h during exposure to -15°C
air. The local effects of cold on bare hands can be
overcome, provided that there is sufficient heat supplied
to the torso."

Influence of localized auxiliary heating on hand comfort during cold exposure

Dragan Brajkovic, Michel B. Ducharme, and John Frim
Human Protection and Performance, Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

J Appl Physiol 85: 2054-2065, 1998;
8750-7587/98 $5.00
Vol. 85, Issue 6, 2054-2065, December 1998

data.

Re: sorted!

alan hopkins said:
Bought better, thicker, more expensive gloves year in year out for twenty or so years.

Sorted the problem last year once and for all.
Got myself some Gerbings electrically heated, high quality leather gloves.
Any amount of fluffy bulk will never equal (hold a candle to...doh) introducing outside heat. Combined with hot grips (glove elements do not run over palms) you step off the bike with WARM HANDS whatever the weather. Fantastic feeling.

Alan
How have you got them wired up ? Got any pics ??

Re: Re: sorted!

Gecko said:
Alan
How have you got them wired up ? Got any pics ??

Got no pix but easy.
You get supplied a 'Y' piece of wire about a metre long with mini jack plugs that I put on with my jacket (hold wire between fingers and put on jacket) leaving a short tail of wire hanging out bottom of jacket and tails hanging out from sleeves. I thought of stitching or velcroing this in semi permenantly but never got round to it, it's no hassle.

So as you get on bike you plug gloves in to tails sticking out of sleeves then plug tail into trailing lead wired to battery (inline fuse) that exits just under seat.

The system is really designed for the whole suit which you wear under leathers and plug the gloves and socks into sleeves and legs so you only have one connection to bike but with the heated vest, hot grips and heated gloves I rode about last year at zero degree temperatures for as long as I wanted completely warm.

I take the point above about torso keeping hands warm via blood supply but I recall many rides where you are still warm but hands frozon. This setup works in reverse putting heat exactly where you are coldest So you ride around without feeling like a cordura michelin man. No restriction in movement making it more comfortable and therefore safer.

Takes less time to actually do than totype this and is no hassle compared to the hours of toasty hands you get winter riding.

Nearest comparison I can think of is getting into a bed in a cold room with an electric blanket. Confuses the senses but feels brilliant!

gloves

Alpinestars make some some bloddy good kit, try their ST or WR range. I've had a pair of their goretex fabric gloves for about 2 years. Very warm and 100% waterproof so far. Bought in Andorra for about £35, so probably about £40-£50 in UK.

Thanx Hops,
I will have to investigate the goretex alpinestar gloves.

Electric gloves are no good because I use different bikes and would need to have each bike wired for winter riding.

Just got a pair of BMW Comfortemp gloves (£90). Scientific reseach carried out by me as follows: Pillion wearing a BMW glove on one hand and a year old Hein Gericke Pathan on the other - sticks both arms out in the wind as much as possible - the BMW hand was warmer.
And the Hein Gericke Pathan has twice won Ride Magazines recommended for being warmest glove.
I wore them in the monsoon this weekend for 3 hours and they didn't let any water in.
I think I'm trying to justify the high cost to myself !!
Only down side is thick palms mean less feel.

Three fingered. They were OK for a while, but became unwaterproof v quickly (a few months).

Thanx Hops,
I will have to investigate the goretex alpinestar gloves.

Electric gloves are no good because I use different bikes and would need to have each bike wired for winter riding.

Both of my bikes are wired up for heated gear. A extra cable for the second bike would cost about £10 and take 10 minutes extra to install.

Gloves should be matched to the dexterity requirements for comfort and safety. The digits all have their own natural thermal delivery systems:- blood.

Purchase an electric vest, they suggest...

The evidence is overwhelming, as is the data .

Conclusions:-

"The application of heat to the torso region of the body
can keep the fingers and toes at a comfortable temperature
(22–25°C) for 2.5-3 h during exposure to -15°C
air. The local effects of cold on bare hands can be
overcome, provided that there is sufficient heat supplied
to the torso."

Influence of localized auxiliary heating on hand comfort during cold exposure

Dragan Brajkovic, Michel B. Ducharme, and John Frim
Human Protection and Performance, Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

J Appl Physiol 85: 2054-2065, 1998;
8750-7587/98 $5.00
Vol. 85, Issue 6, 2054-2065, December 1998

data.

My blood is no bloody good. I definitely need gloves as well as a jacket.

I wonder if he’s finished after nearly 18 years?

CLEAR !!!!!

3d96077ad1d34e78c6398038a853ef58.jpg

I’ve got a pulse.The thread is back with us.....:)

Back
Top Bottom