British forces part 2

Mate,thats a load of bollocks. my lads got 10 days left of a 6 month tour of Iraq ,CANT WAIT TO GET HOME . not quite like the vidio,he recons its the shitend of the world.if only they could do what they show in the vid

I think it was just all put together to give an outline of what its about in general. Showing that yes while there is action and hard times there is also a fun side and plus points to being in the forces. My son is also in, has already done 2 yrs and unfortunatly he heads off to Afghan later this yr I do believe which will be a worrytime for me too.
I am sorry if you took unkindly to the vid I just thought it was a positive thing to share plus I like the music :)
Regards
Lb.

Just watched the video and must agree that it is quite good and shows both sides of the Army.

Better than the old 'Frank' adverts they used to show all the time.

Dave.

21yrs, 9 months and 12 days service so far, but who's counting! :mcgun

38k! not a chance over here mate. I take it you went virtually straight in from leaving school all those yrs ago? You are same age as me, well a few mths older and there are a few out there that I went to school that are nearly up to their 22 yrs. Must be a little bit of a daunting thought being let loose into civvy st after having done all that time in.
Good luck with whatever it is that you do in civvy st :thumb

Now, from someone who joined (in part) because of the frank ads.
Thats a pretty slick video, in fact wouldnt be suprised if it was a pro job by the media gurus.
How an anyone say they havent done at least some of the stuff depicted?

Yes the army can sometimes be a bit A#se but at the end of the day you only get the good bits if you take the sh#t as well.

Loads of guys who get offered adv training or sports courses cant be bothered , when I helped run the ski team at my last unit I had to beg guys to come away on 2 weeks skiing in Austria, cost to them- 200 euros, all in except beer money.

so no its not all adv trg and abseiling out of choppers, but then, if you want to I'm sure the paras need some volunteers!!

And as to wanting to come home from tour, I like to think I'm keen, but everyone thinks Iraq's a dump and cant wait to get back!

well produced video, def looks like a recruiting one though. Can't grubble about my time in, theres sights I would never have seen if I hadn't been in (like a nurse in a bikini with an M16 in the Embassy pool in Baghdad :eek:) but also I've seen some horrific sights I'll take to my grave (caught my room mate knocking one out while watching Grange Hill :blast ) Joining up can be an eye opener to the ill informed though, but without the ill informed I'd have done a lot more tours :thumb

24 years.....

Good recruiting vid..........

Ive just finished 22 years man service and 2 years boy service, and I can honestly say I loved it. It got a bit crap towards the end, but I think thats because I just wanted to move on.

And now....

Ive got the best job in the world.....

Stay at home Dad!!:thumb2

Good recruiting vid..........

Ive just finished 22 years man service and 2 years boy service, and I can honestly say I loved it. It got a bit crap towards the end, but I think thats because I just wanted to move on.

And now....

Ive got the best job in the world.....

Couldn't agree with you more. I left 8 years ago now having done the same service as you. Happy I left when I did, It seems all work and no play these days.

26 years man and boy.

I've been out 8 years now and have seen what civvie street can offer... and it's shite!

Yes of course the video is a slick piece of PR recruitment and doesn't reflect the grim life of being on operations (I'm from the generation that spent weeks living in those underground bunkers dotted around the hills of South Armagh). But everything else makes up for it. I don't regret any of it and heartily reccommend serving with the armed forces even if you only do the minimum time. It will give you experiences both good and bad that you will cherish forever.

However my son has served in Afghanistan so I understand the anguish of a worried father, following every news bulliten hoping for a glimpse of your son on the TV whilst secretely praying he's got a nasty infection in his toe and is on light duties (relatively) safe behind the base walls.

I only did 10 years in the RN and other attachments but had a ball, the hard and not so hard times. Then for the last 10 years Ive been working in civi street with a boss who I really could do time for if you know wot I meen. Its the best education you can get as a young person:thumb

Nick did his time in NI, not a nice place back then and has regretted comin out ever since, tried to get back in when he was 27 and civvies said no too old then they raised the age cut off to 34 just recently, typical now as he is almost 42 :(. However, my nipper who is out in germany servin said some guy has just got back in and is 42 :nenau

They are desperate for manpower, tell nick to join the TA, then 6mth later put in for FTRS, go on a tour, come back and ssay he wants to rejoin, sorted

I've never looked in here before; never knew it existed. Can someone please tell me if there's still a British presence in Nienburg, north of Hanover? I was out there in the late 1960s - 1st Field Squadron Royal Engineers, 24147160, later rose to the dizzy heights of LCpl. Also was attached to 79 Railway Squadron RCT at Moenchengladbach near Rheindalen. About fifteen years ago, whilst on holiday in Holland, I took the family back to Moenchengladbach, the old unit was much smarter than I remembered it, even had women in the RCT, unheard of in my day. I think even 'RCT' has changed now.

My son is now 26 and in the RAF; just returned from Khandahar in Afghanistan. :)

Yep, Rickshaws, Cabs and Taxis is now the Really Large Corps (or royal logistics corp)

MG is supposed to be a top posting, and no we dont have a presnce at nienburg

Thanks, Our barracks was called the 'Mudre Kasserne' or 'Murder Camp' as it was used by the SS during the War. I will never forget those strange toilets, the ones with a ledge which needed to be covered with bog paper first. Strange.:eek: 17 Base Vehicle Depot RAOC was the main camp, and the place where all of the staff cars, armoured cars, etc were assembled before being auctioned off.

Took this from my bebo,my nipper used to play it sometimes and I love the music who ever it is and just goes to show what the forces is all about:

http://bebo.com/watch/1325257300

What is the point of that video? - the newsreels from 60/70's Vietnam probably sum up what the forces and war is really about.

Back
Top Bottom