Off-road ride (Baskerville)

Gaz

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'll be leading an off-road run on the Saturday. It is the one that Robbie C was going to do but he is now riding to Croatia instead.

The run will be GS-friendly and they will get preference over other bikes.
I'd like it to be 10 bikes maximum.
It can be done by pogos but you will not find it challenging.
You will be riding on mud, grass, some ruts, a few small-ish rocks. There is room in one of the open areas to practice whatever you want e.g. uphills, downhills, slow speed stuff.

Ideally you want to be running TKCs or something at least as comparable if you are not on a GS.
Tourances will only be suitable if it has been dry for a few days beforehand.
I guarantee that Tourances are hopeless in mud, regardless of your experience level. So you use them at your own risk.

So, the ride is *not* for absolute novices. But, it also will be very straightforward for the more experienced rider.
It will help if you've at least been on a few tracks before and over a few bumps.
If you can control your bike when standing up and don't go to pieces when it starts to move around underneath you then you'll be fine :)
If the thought of dropping your bike terrifies you then don't go off-roading. It needs a different mentality to the polish-it-and-keep-it-shiny brigade.

A couple of experienced riders (IanB, JohnnyBoxer?) have expressed an interest and so there will always be plenty of people around to help you if you get into difficulty.
In true Timpo style, "The pace will be dictated by slowest rider, and as usual nobody gets left behind."

We will start at 10am on the Saturday morning. You won't need a huge amount of fuel, 70 miles will be enough. There is a Texaco garage at the junction of the A438 and the B4351 Hay road. You can probably see it form the entrance to Baskerville Hall.
Make sure you have some food and drink, we may be out for up to 5-6 hours. It's difficult to gauge because it all depends on how competent people are.

I may squeeze in some challenging tracks at the end of the day, depending on demand.

I'll be in the parking area in front of the hall in a yellow VW van, riding an XChallenge, wearing a blue enduro suit and some twat glasses, as seen below:cool:

Please post here if you are interested :)

Attachments

• 104_2013 (Small).jpg
    104_2013 (Small).jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 408
I'm definitely interested Gaz but will be on Tourance's as I don't do enough off road to justify TKC's. So if we had a few dry days I'm in but if it's been raining for the week before I'm going to have to pull out as I know exactly what you mean about Tourances and mud!

1150GS by the way, and yes I can pick it up repeatedly.

Bump!

Let's have some more response on this or you'll lose the opportunity altogether :)

I went and practised the route at the weekend and it was fine. I just bimbled around it non-stop and it took 3 hours, so we could turn round and do it backwards if needed.
It's about 50 miles, of which 1/3rd is pure off-road and a further 1/3rd is tiny roads often in poor condition.
It is definitely GS-able and the tracks get slightly more difficult as you go through the route. I also know of 2 small and tricky diversions/options if the group needs a bit more of a challenge.

There are ruts in parts but almost all of these can be avoided if you choose your line correctly, or follow me. There are 2 small fords, which are walkable if water freaks you out. Another 2 of the lanes are enclosed and are probably at the limit of what an average rider would like to do on a GS.

The pics show different parts of the route in various weathers. The last one is the optional tricky-on-a-GS climb.

Attachments

• Bask1 (Small).jpg
    Bask1 (Small).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Bask2 (Small).jpg
    Bask2 (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Bask3 (Small).jpg
    Bask3 (Small).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Bask4 (Small).jpg
    Bask4 (Small).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Bask6 (Small).jpg
    Bask6 (Small).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 263
Yeah, no probs.

Takers so far are:-

Gaz
JohnnyBoxer
Packer
AndyT
Petcul
bb1

Remember, the limit is 10.

Off Road Run

Hi Gaz,

I'm now not going to be able to make the weekend so I'm sorry to miss what look like a good fun on a GS. :blast

Eoin - no worries, it is a long way for you!

Fred - you're welcome. The 12 will be fine, Garry H and Robbie have done these lanes on big GS's loads of times. Garry of course never falls off (the git) :D

I'm hoping to get myself organised for this weekend so can you add me as a tentative. Should be able to confirm in the next few days.

And you're right - Garry is a git for never falling off :bow

Hello All,
I'll be leading an off-road run on the Saturday. It is the one that Robbie C was going to do but he is now riding to Croatia instead.

The run will be GS-friendly and they will get preference over other bikes.
I'd like it to be 10 bikes maximum.
It can be done by pogos but you will not find it challenging.
You will be riding on mud, grass, some ruts, a few small-ish rocks. There is room in one of the open areas to practice whatever you want e.g. uphills, downhills, slow speed stuff.

Ideally you want to be running TKCs or something at least as comparable if you are not on a GS.
Tourances will only be suitable if it has been dry for a few days beforehand.
I guarantee that Tourances are hopeless in mud, regardless of your experience level. So you use them at your own risk.

So, the ride is *not* for absolute novices. But, it also will be very straightforward for the more experienced rider.
It will help if you've at least been on a few tracks before and over a few bumps.
If you can control your bike when standing up and don't go to pieces when it starts to move around underneath you then you'll be fine :)
If the thought of dropping your bike terrifies you then don't go off-roading. It needs a different mentality to the polish-it-and-keep-it-shiny brigade.

A couple of experienced riders (IanB, JohnnyBoxer?) have expressed an interest and so there will always be plenty of people around to help you if you get into difficulty.
In true Timpo style, "The pace will be dictated by slowest rider, and as usual nobody gets left behind."

We will start at 10am on the Saturday morning. You won't need a huge amount of fuel, 70 miles will be enough. There is a Texaco garage at the junction of the A438 and the B4351 Hay road. You can probably see it form the entrance to Baskerville Hall.
Make sure you have some food and drink, we may be out for up to 5-6 hours. It's difficult to gauge because it all depends on how competent people are.

I may squeeze in some challenging tracks at the end of the day, depending on demand.

I'll be in the parking area in front of the hall in a yellow VW van, riding an XChallenge, wearing a blue enduro suit and some twat glasses, as seen below:cool:

Please post here if you are interested :)
Can I book a spot on the off road run? Have done both the BMW offroad schools and hope to get some off road experience and practice on my 1200ADV got some part worn TKC tyres and have done a little offroading is this OK?
Cheers Simon

Can I book in on the wee Dakar please :thumb

I'll be riding up in the morning unless I can get an evening pass to camp.

Riders now are:-

Gaz
JohnnyBoxer
Packer
AndyT
Petcul
Matkat
Mav
Fenrir
Flipfly

1 more and that's it! (unless IanB is attending in which case the ride is now full)

Wooohooo :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Cheers Gaz, looking forward to this :thumb

Wifey says I can stay on the Friday night too :hug

2 up

Eoin - no worries, it is a long way for you!

Fred - you're welcome. The 12 will be fine, Garry H and Robbie have done these lanes on big GS's loads of times. Garry of course never falls off (the git) :D

Yes I Know:augie done them a few times on my own on the 1200, and with Gary and Robbie. May be 2 up but should be no problem:augie:blast:thumb:eek:

I'd be up for the off road if there's space Gaz - about time I broke a bit more off the bike :augie

Back
Top Bottom