Hola From Ushuaia

Status
Not open for further replies.

the celt

Reaction score
...my country is Kiltartan Cross, My countrymen Ki
Hola lads and ladies,
I made it to Ushuaia, Argentina "Fin del mundo". the bike is going well the only problem a stone got stuck between shaft and rear brake but no damage, just a bit of a shock. Mick is about 8 days behind me as he attended a travel meeting in Viedma and is now travelling down with 5 other bikers. After picking the bikes up from BA airport we headed to Azul where we spent the night at Jorge moto shop where we met none other than that famous traveler "Mika" a true gentleman, the walls of the shop are covered with the names of travelers from all over the world even a "Miss Tiffany C". The welcome at Jorge moto shop was just the start of many I cannot thank him and his friends enought and Mika for advising a route south with time for whale watching, seals and pengiuns and just about every other kind of wild life. Ive just spent the last 3 days in the national park which was out of this world. Ive been traveling solo for the last 15days and no matter where I stop the Argentine people could not be more helpful, even at customs when I lost a form for the bike no problems just a 8hrs wait, Ive stayed in their homes, ate fresh fish just pulled for the river all for free they will not accept any money, I have never met a more friendly bunch of people in my life infact ive made more friends here in two weeks than after two years in london. I stopped off in a small fishing port on the way down and the local school teacher took me into his home feed and water me and next morning I met the school kids and the bike was the star all amazed that I was from Ireland and bike went so fast I doubled the speed. I have spoken english about four times in the last 15days which is great as my spanish is improving as the days go by, but also I get to see the real Argentina and not some package tourist deal. I am about to leave Ushuaia and head into Chile and then El Calafate for Christmas and maybe New Year. As I write this I am looking at snow capped mountains which are breath taking but the views are fantastic the true beauty of Argentina is its people I only hope I can repay them one day.
regards
jose
on the road

Good on yers. Those slieves are a big bigger than in Ireland - go steady and have a great time!

:)

Greg

IF you loved ARGENTINA, you will ADORE Chile ! Chile was Founded By An Irish Bloke ( O'Higgins )

YoYo said:
So the Chilians don't like Brits, then? :D

I actually think they do, since Argentina is a life-long enemy, and an enemy of my enemy is my friend, meas they like brits...

They also love Germans and Italians, since they make up most of the imported population.

Mike Werner said:
They also love Germans and Italians, since they make up most of the imported population. [/B]

Ah, yes, there was a big wave of those around 60 years ago... To Argentina and Brazil as well! :D

on the road sometimes

Thanks for the replies lads & ladies,
I thought I would be senting my next report from Chile but a problem has come up. After leaving Ushuaia and heading up the mountain road(a road I had sent Mick an email about warning him that there where roadworks on it and lots of lose gravel). I was about 80km into the road taking it easy and but not really giving the road the respect it was due, as in looking at the views around me and not the road. The wind picks up and im in the middle off a dust cloud the front wheel bites into the gravel I give a twist of the wrist to get back of gravel and front left side goes down, bike on its side no real problem but then heads for the side of road, down a 8ft ditch, nothing I could do but pray. Front end hits lip of ditch and throws me and bike over, bike lands on screen and dash and then me, and then lands on right side. The first thing I thought was wheres me GPS but it was still there, as for me bike that another story.
Again the Argentine locals where fantastic, we needed 8 to get bike in the back of a pickup and pick up the bits and bobs that had come off. The driver of the pickup then took me to Rio Grande found a place to fix bike and a place for me to stay, and again he would not take a penny from me, I tried to give him US$50 for his trouble but he would not accept it. That night I stayed at the guest house and the family made me dinner and a seat at the head of the table and kept asking me if I needed to go to hospital, but I refused as I have had broken ribs before and know what it feels like, and I was not really worried as I was not coughing up blood, but its painful when breathing and laughting.:D
The next morning it was round to inspect the bike my friend with the pickup came and got me and took me round to the workshop,
Rear sub frame bent, touratech pannier are shit, screen, headlight and all warning lights smashed, front oil cooler mounts bent and the bloody key had broke in the lock. But it looks like a real adventure bike now.
As for me lid BMW system4 done its job well chin stayed in place, alpinestars tech2 done there job, taureg gs suit done its job and a pair off richa deerskin gloves also faired well.
I pick the bike up from the workshop later today so will post the outcome.
The night of the accident as I was in bed and I had tears in my eyes not through the pain, but from the love that I had recieved once again from the Argentine people I really dont know how to repay them.
on the road sometimes
jose

I'm glad to hear that you've come through the episode more-or-less in one piece. I hope that the bike gets sorted quickly too!

Best

Greg

Jose,

All part of the "great adventure", something to look back on and laugh.

Meanwhile, glad you're OK(ish) and will live to ride again. Best wishes for the rest of your trip and hope all the "exciting moments" have happy endings.

Iain

jose - sorry to hear about your 'event'! but don't let it get in the way - i'm sure you'll be back on the road quick-sharp, and i'm looking forward (jealouly) to hearing about the rest of your trip... ;-)

pr0ne

OK Joe that's enough 'stunts' to check the friendliness of the Argentinians, glad the GPS is OK, you're walking and hopefully the bike is back together with a few creditable travel scars to see you on your way - looking forward to hearing how the Chileans measure up :D

Don Jose: gled to know you came out more or less all right...Would not be a real adventure whitouth a few events, wouldn't be?

Mike W. Well spotted, mate. Bernardo O'higgins, although born in Chile was from Irish ascents indeed. Probably no less interesting is the fact that he was helped by a certain English character, Lord Cochrane who comanded the Chilean navy at the time.
Who said Irish and English could not achieve something?

Thanks Lads,
I have just picked the bike up,
I am now back on the road Ye Ha:D
Heres a list off damage
handle bars bent
touratech biscuit tins and frame bent
Headlight gone awol
warning lights and dash gone awol
rear sub frame bent
41L tanks looks like its been to hell and back
mirrors, what mirrors?
indcators miss one
and other bits and bobs
but important things fixed:)
and you will not believe this but it was only 180 pesos
thats less than 50 quid, I love this place...
I am going to rest up for a few days to see if pain goes and then into Chile, but the main thing is me moto is going..... but this time very, very slowly;)
thanks again for all your replies
the celts on the road again and hopefully upright most of the time
cheers
jose

Yosi said:
Don Jose: gled to know you came out more or less all right...Would not be a real adventure whitouth a few events, wouldn't be?

Mike W. Well spotted, mate. Bernardo O'higgins, although born in Chile was from Irish ascents indeed. Probably no less interesting is the fact that he was helped by a certain English character, Lord Cochrane who comanded the Chilean navy at the time.
Who said Irish and English could not achieve something?

went To university THERE !

Blimey Jose great reports but don't know how you can ride with broken ribs, BIG RESPECT man, take it east and be safe

What about ye, Joe, glad to hear you're hanging in there, good man yerself. Yer a long way from Belfast, but sure they make boys out of tough oul' boots here :)

All the best for the rest of the trip

New (Real) Name

Hi All

Just a quickie, as it's Christmas Eve and the party at the campsite in Puerto Madryn awaits.

I heartily endorse everything that Joe has said regarding the Argentine people. They are almost impossibly welcoming and friendly. The HU meeting at Viedma was brilliant www.horizonsunlimited.com for those who don't know it.

I have also had a bit of an off in the deep loose stuff. Been resting up for a week now, my leg and foot are almost back to their normal size after the bike landed on them. Vern's panniers have their first battle scars and dents! The frame has twisted, but only a little and the lids still fit fine. A guy I was riding with crashed his F650GS Dakar and his T'tech pannier was trashed after being ripped from the frame. It took about two hours to beat it back into a shape which enabled it to be remounted. I know which I prefer.

Happy Christmas to one and all.

Mick (aka Squidbrain) :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom