Side stand removal

Commadore

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the side stand from a 2006 R1200GS?

I am trying, but having removed the main bolt (switch and clip off the back as well) the stand still refuses to part company with the bike. Seems the bush is holding it in place but the bush doesn't want to budge either.

Am I missing the blindingly obvious?

Any suggestions?

:nenau

OK this is what I have found and it will hopefully make sense if i have managed to attach the piccy!

Disengage springs (1) with assembly/disassembly tool (No. 00 9 521) .

Remove circlip (5).

Remove washer (3).

Remove side-stand switch (2).

Remove screw (6).

Remove bushing (4).

Attachments

• K25_46034b.jpg
    K25_46034b.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 8,145
Has anyone removed the side stand from a 2006 R1200GS?

I am trying, but having removed the main bolt (switch and clip off the back as well) the stand still refuses to part company with the bike. Seems the bush is holding it in place but the bush doesn't want to budge either.

Am I missing the blindingly obvious?

Any suggestions?

:nenau

Just did mine last weekend to lubricate. For the R1200 GSA
On the backside is a small circlip that needs removal and then a flat washer. Then remove the Torx bolt (I see you already have)..next in the hole where the bolt was is a sleeve bushing. That comes out toward you like the way the bolt came out. You need some sort of hook (small) to pull it out. After the sleeve bushing is removed the side stand will come right down and off.

Upon installation which is reverse of removal...make sure the side stand switch is installed properly...the little tang (on the sidestand switch) fits in the "itty bitty hole" on the backside of the side stand.

Hope that helps. Oh and the torque on the Torx sidestand bolt is 56Nm.

Thank you all. Seems the little bush was the problem.......mine had gotten stuck.

Finally got the little blighter out and the job is done (replaced the bush with a new one)

Thanks again. :thumb2

Thank you all. Seems the little bush was the problem.......mine had gotten stuck.

Finally got the little blighter out and the job is done (replaced the bush with a new one)

Now ya gotta do the centerstand.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6913107#post6913107

Here's mine after a paint job and newly installed TT guard.

100_1441.jpg

100_1446.jpg

Yep and I know she's CLEAN !!! I like'm that way..:)

Looks great clean, nothing wrong with that...........provided it does get dirty every now and then :thumb2

My centre stand is already done - did that one first.

Hi,

Just got a 2006 GS in feb 2012 and I'm just about to replace the side stand bush. Tried to drift out the bush from the opposite side using a small drift from the threaded side using the small hole in the bush to bash against and it will not budge, must be well worn and out of centre, hence all the slack and movement in the side stand. How did you drift yours out? Been at it for 2 hours with little success :( Considering trying using a dremmel to see if I can split the bush from the inside?
Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Just got a 2006 GS in feb 2012 and I'm just about to replace the side stand bush. Tried to drift out the bush from the opposite side using a small drift from the threaded side using the small hole in the bush to bash against and it will not budge, must be well worn and out of centre, hence all the slack and movement in the side stand. How did you drift yours out? Been at it for 2 hours with little success :( Considering trying using a dremmel to see if I can split the bush from the inside?
Any help appreciated.

This is a blind bush removal tool that I found, when I receive it I'll post if it works.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/topdeal-uk/_i.html?_nkw=blind&submit=Search&_sid=1044040394

This is a blind bush removal tool that I found, when I receive it I'll post if it works.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/topdeal-uk/_i.html?_nkw=blind&submit=Search&_sid=1044040394

Just received the blind bush removal tool and one side of the collet snapped:mad:
The bush must be well out of concentricity as it would just not budge!
Now going to resort to splitting the bush from the inside, what a crap design BMW!
Here's looking forward to nn hours of dremmel grinding ahead:mad:

Just received the blind bush removal tool and one side of the collet snapped:mad:
The bush must be well out of concentricity as it would just not budge!
Now going to resort to splitting the bush from the inside, what a crap design BMW!
Here's looking forward to nn hours of dremmel grinding ahead:mad:

Four Hours later 2/3 of the way through the bush and ran out of tool bits:mad:
Trip to local DIY to source some more and another session should get the little bugger out!:)

Four Hours later 2/3 of the way through the bush and ran out of tool bits:mad:
Trip to local DIY to source some more and another session should get the little bugger out!:)

Another 3 hours tonight after work with the old dremel, could not get the parallel grinding bits got the conical ones, now just need to get into the bloody corner of the bush. Did I say this is a sheeeite design! When i get the new bush fitted I'll make sure the blighter is well greased!

Another 3 hours tonight after work with the old dremel, could not get the parallel grinding bits got the conical ones, now just need to get into the bloody corner of the bush. Did I say this is a sheeeite design! When i get the new bush fitted I'll make sure the blighter is well greased!

Finally, got the little bugger out :clap Discovered what looks like a phosphor bronze outer bearing that the bush sits in. The original steel bush had severe burring on its edges and the socket head screw had wear on it. Now sitting down for a well earned pint :beerjug:

Loose Side stand

Hi

Is it possible to replace the inner sleeve on the frame of my GS so that I can reduce the play in the stand? If not, is there another way of doing so? The Torx screw is torqued up!

Many thanks

Instead of a grinding burr use a coarse sanding burr with the rubber arbor. I used these to Dremel out the suspension bushes pressed into blind housings on my old Yamaha rear suspension link. Much smoother to operate and control, sanding through the wall thickness then collapsing it with a small screwdriver.

The bushes in the frame eye are sold by BMW, I replaced them on my side stand and it made bugger all difference, the stands are a sloppy fit as standard.

Hi, yes you can replace the frame bushing with part number Side stand bush FRA79105 x 2 from Motorworks just done mine on the weekend and has reduced the slack significantly.
Movement at the side stand is now within a more acceptable 5 mm over the entire length.

Mine improved dramatically after the frame and stand leg were powder coated. So some shim washers might solve sloppy side stand syndrome.

I know this is a very old thread but I've just had the same problem as many others getting the bush out on my (new to me) 2008 1200GS.

I tried:

• Using a pick to grab the hole in the bush (bush would not pull out)
  • Hammering in an easy-out and tugging on it (easy out just came out)
  • Drilling the bush (it just spun around)
  • Dremel with sanding drum, carbide burr, stone (hardly marked the bush)
  • Tapping the bush (also spun around)
  • Using a punch from the other side (couldn't get the punch onto anything, difficult to hammer from behind)
  • Using a cold chisel to try to cut through the bush (too tough)
  • Using an air saw on the bush (hardly made a mark)

In the end I bought some Dremel diamond burrs (advertised as suitable for carving stone). These managed to thin down the bush in a reasonable time (probably around 30 minutes). After that I used a punch to cut all the way though the bush in a line, which allowed me to use the punch to fold the sides inwards. Now there was enough space for me to be able to gently tap the sidestand clear of the bush and off the frame. Last bit was easy just to tap the bush out of the frame.

There's now a new design pivot that eliminates the bush altogether, but still requires the two collars. This should prevent the problem from occurring again.

/Simon

Back
Top Bottom