Meeting up

Summer

Reaction score
We are travellin up on the Friday morning from the isle of wight via A34, M4 towards Wales. After J17 (Swindon) there is a service station Leigh Dalamere (M4). Will anyone be meeting up here, if so will it be ok to tag on since we dont have a clue where we are going :confused: and it will be easier to follow someone who knows where they are going...oh, and we will look cool in a convoy :D

M4 J17 is actually Chippenham - unless you particularly like the M4, you may be better off leaving the M4 at J15 (Swindon East) - then A419/A417 towards Gloucester, A40 past Ross-on-Wye etc - that's the way I'm going anyway :)

Oh - and what sort of time will you be reaching the A34/M4 Junction 13?

Arghhh
Horrible route :(
Better to go, if using Lymington, A337 Cadnam, Salisbury.
Then up via Warminster towards Bristol, Cross over River on either bridge.
Usual meeting point is the services by Severn bridge IIRC..
After the Bridge, either up through Carleon, Ponty' Abergavenny, Talgarth.
or Monmouth Abergaveny...
90% of GS type roads:thumb2, very little tread squaring off m/way :(

Little Beemer,
I am heading up from South Devon on friday morning about 10.00 on the M5 to Juction 18a then on to M49 onto M4 West bound across the Severn bridge.
Satnav will take over the rest.:augie

If thats any help. regards Chris

You see, this is exactly why we need help :augie
Nick says he is happy for us to meet up with you all at the services by Severn Bridge, time permitting, he says there seems to be various different routes, we are happy to meet others before hand on the way all depending on what time others are settin off. We want to leave Friday mornin so if someone says meet at so and so at a set time we may well just back track from that, was thinkin of catching a ferry between 9 and 10am to Lymington. :bounce1

Right I will be at the services by the Severn Bridge for 12.30-13.00, how does this work out with your self & Nick regarding your ferry crossing and travel time ???

Chris

You see, this is exactly why we need help :augie
Nick says he is happy for us to meet up with you all at the services by Severn Bridge, time permitting, he says there seems to be various different routes, we are happy to meet others before hand on the way all depending on what time others are settin off. We want to leave Friday mornin so if someone says meet at so and so at a set time we may well just back track from that, was thinkin of catching a ferry between 9 and 10am to Lymington. :bounce1

Right I will be at the services by the Severn Bridge for 12.30-13.00, how does this work out with your self & Nick regarding your ferry crossing and travel time ???

Chris

I see a little convoy coming on :p

H, we're in Calne near Chippenham, three of us are heading up Friday. Your welcome to ride up with us, and then we can meet R1200gs ADV at the Seven bridge and head up from there.
Once past Abergaveny the roads are good fun, plus there's a nice café where we can stop for coffee on route.

If you're worried about the best route up to the M4 I can help you with that, if you like :thumb

R1200gs ADV, You up for this?

Val.

Yes sounds good to me, see what Little Beemer has to say.
Then we can confirm time for contact at bridge, I can not leave home before school run for my daughter, wifes working so I have to do that before I can leave, so not before 10.00. It will take me about 2 hours to get up to Bristol, so 12.30 is my best time allowing for any hold ups.

Chris.

Joining the group on route

Hi

Let me know your route as the group grows and i will try to catch up on route. Its my first GS meet so would be good to arrive with someone who i have at leaset known for a hour.
I live in Hereford so will catch you when you hit the welsh border somewhere

Yep all sounds good to us, we can work on which boat to catch now and meet you all as suggested, will look forward to seeing you again Val, and the rest of you of course. Val, Nick is suggesting that we meet you first on the M4 Services at Leigh Delamere, how is that, then carry up to meet R1200GS ADV (Chris) and anyone else who is there?
Weather is lookin fab for this wk so lets hope its the start of the good stuff, lookin forward to this :D

Great all systems go :bounce1
10 days to go (I'm not counting of cause :augie) and "Christ" we no what we are doing :clap

I wonder if the trip up for the Gathering of the Clans will be so easy :nenau

Chris

Not met you before Chris but hoping to get to the next event. I`m really starting to miss slagging bootnecks off :D

No naked bars eh!

Have a good one. :thumb2

Yes sounds good to me, see what Little Beemer has to say.
Then we can confirm time for contact at bridge, I can not leave home before school run for my daughter, wifes working so I have to do that before I can leave, so not before 10.00. It will take me about 2 hours to get up to Bristol, so 12.30 is my best time allowing for any hold ups.

Chris.

How about a 12.30-13.00 meet at Aust services on the Old Severn crossing (M48) outside the main entrance, Then heading down the M4 to j25a A4042 to Abergavenny, along the A40 just past Crickhowell, then up the A479 (there's a nice little café where we can stop for a cuppa) to Talgarth, then picking up the A438 to Clyro and Baskerville Hall. ???

Would this fit in with your plans alimey?

Hi

Let me know your route as the group grows and i will try to catch up on route. Its my first GS meet so would be good to arrive with someone who i have at leaset known for a hour.
I live in Hereford so will catch you when you hit the welsh border somewhere

Geoff, Your well north of us here, much better off just heading out of Hereford on the A438 45 minutes I reccon :nenau But if you want a longer trip??? You'd be welcome I'm sure.

Yep all sounds good to us, we can work on which boat to catch now and meet you all as suggested, will look forward to seeing you again Val, and the rest of you of course. Val, Nick is suggesting that we meet you first on the M4 Services at Leigh Delamere, how is that, then carry up to meet R1200GS ADV (Chris) and anyone else who is there?
Weather is lookin fab for this wk so lets hope its the start of the good stuff, lookin forward to this :D

H, you'd need to get to Leigh Delamere by 11.30. There are better places to meet though, dependent on your intended route up. IE if your coming up through Marlborough or Devizes you'll be passing within spitting distance of our front door and would be welcome to meet here if you like 'along with any stragglers you pickup on you way'.

Val.

H, you'd need to get to Leigh Delamere by 11.30. There are better places to meet though, dependent on your intended route up. IE if your coming up through Marlborough or Devizes you'll be passing within spitting distance of our front door and would be welcome to meet here if you like 'along with any stragglers you pickup on you way'.

Val.

Val, we have just read your posting here, nick says we will have to sit down tonight when we get time to sort the route, he is worried that we wont get to you in time and hold you all up as we will be going through Salisbury (the carpark of the south). Also, by the time we get to you we will have to top up with fuel, we will need an easy landmark to meet you as dont forget we dont have gps on our bikes .....thats why we are comin up with you lot :augie:D
Nick has just said if you sort out where to meet Chris (R1200GS ADV) then we will sort out where to meet you and hopefully we can all tie in together then on the way??

Val, we have just read your posting here, nick says we will have to sit down tonight when we get time to sort the route, he is worried that we wont get to you in time and hold you all up as we will be going through Salisbury (the carpark of the south). Also, by the time we get to you we will have to top up with fuel, we will need an easy landmark to meet you as dont forget we dont have gps on our bikes .....thats why we are comin up with you lot :augie:D
Nick has just said if you sort out where to meet Chris (R1200GS ADV) then we will sort out where to meet you and hopefully we can all tie in together then on the way??

Try this.

Google maps, This is a route from Lymington to Calne 1hr 47min (so about two hours. Don't worry about Salisbury, you'll be coming through at about ten. You'll have no problems at that time, just follow the bypass round. :thumb2

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Hmm? well that link worked then :rolleyes:

Attachments

• iow-to-here-1.jpg
    iow-to-here-1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 241
Yep sussed that:augie
We will give it a bit more than 1 and half hours to get there. Tom Tom i aint...post it is me:D
But when we get to Carne where do we RV!!
I will come in the A4 road, Curzon St or the A3102. From that point on, well who knows.
Where would be good for you and of course it need to be EASY to find.?

12.30-13.00 to meet at Aust services on the Old Severn crossing (M48) outside the main entrance is fine by me. :thumb2

Chris

Back
Top Bottom