Bike security on ferries.

drifter

Reaction score
Just sorted new insurance, ferry booked for tomorrow on route to the GOTC, some advice please. First time travelling with bike and have seen threads showing concern over securing bike on the ferry ref tie downds etc, do I need to bring my own or are those supplied by ferry sufficient to keep bike from falling? Hoping to get advice from those more worldly wise in the transport side, cheers, :beer:

If you are going on the Larne to Troon ferry don't worry as the guys do a great job of lashing it down:thumb2

The chicken curry is great by the way upstairs;)

See you at GOTC:cool:

Haven't been on a ferry recently, but when I did the support from the crew and the equipment available varied greatly from none at all to good help and ratchet tie downs.

Lot will depend on how long you're on the ferry for ie Plymouth / Santander or between Scottish islands and the weather expected.

Me, I'll always take a couple of ratchet tie downs, and a bungy to tie between the side stand and something secure to stop it flipping up and retracting.

If you search there was a thread a while back about side / main stand on ferries. 100 people 150 different ideas on what was best :eek:

My heavens guys, eh proof again of a great site, 5 mins from initial post and two replies, thanks for that guys, :beer:

There's always pletny of tie-downs - you might want to bring a rag so the cable doesn't score your seat.

I can never manage to open the wretched things though :blast

Eh up Drifter, depends who you are sailing with fella, Going from Poole to Cherbourg with Brittany spears.. (Ferries) I found sometimes they will use ratchet straps, other times a bit of rope! I stick my gloves under the strap/rope as a bit of protection, and I often insist on lashing my own bike down; just for piece of mind, if you leave it on the sidestand, leave it in gear.

P&O are not too bad, some of the guys out of Dover are bikers so know the score, and Sea France depends on the crew.. I stand and watch them lash the bike down, (If I'm not quick enough to do it myself) that way if they do something a bit iffy, you can point them in the error of their ways!

If you do the 'vomit comet' back from Cherbourg to 'Pompie' just make sure its well lashed down. ! Have a great time..:beerjug:

hull to zebbrugge only use rope, poor,,,,take your own straps

Stena Use ratchets...... last time was secure on the side stand.
IT trev, is right above the cloth though, or use a glove :)

Bike security on ferries

I go on wightlink ferries to and from the island 2-3 times a week and never had my bike stolen from the ferry yet!::mcgun
(sorry could not resist that one)

Did see a guy put a crooklock on his steering wheel when on the ferry once and he was on the raised mezz deck too :blast

Back
Top Bottom