Datatool System 3 alarm removal

jez kearns

I'm currently stuck in Nouakchott in Mauritania with a 2001 1150gs with a system 3 alarm which has given up the ghost and immobilised the bike. Every time I try to reset the alarm it seems to blow the fuse so I can start the bike once, but it the does for the fuse and when i turn the engine off the alarm won't disarm and the engine won't restart unless i put a new fuse in and i have now used all my spares. Right now i just want shot of the thing and rely on a big lock for security.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ALARM

if you can disarm it , turn ignition on and press and hold the disarm button again until it beeps. this will put it into service mode which wont imobilise the bike or set the alarm. remove the fuse and the alarm battery will eventually go flat over a day or 3.
if you can get to the box wrap it up in a rag or something as the beeping will annoy the hell out of you till you can have it removed.
for fecks sake dont arm it again or your back to square 1.

Disconnect the +ve feed to the alarm, open the alarm and bridge terminals 1&2, bridge terminals 5&6.

Al :thumb

Disconnect the +ve feed to the alarm, open the alarm and bridge terminals 1&2, bridge terminals 5&6.

Al,
Will this effectively totally disable the alarm/immobiliser as if it was not fitted? I'm still struggling with this intermittent starting fault (only does it when bike is warm after a ride) as described here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1482389#post1482389. I've replaced the battery, starter motor and solenoid, starter relay and stripped and cleaned the starter button. Also checked continuity in wiring as far as possible.
I'd like to remove the alarm (Datatool System 3) to eliminate it but assume it's not a "5 minute job" so if this has the same effect I'd like to try that.
I assume the positive feed is via the alarm fuse? And forgive me if it's a daft question, but do I leave the fuse out after bridging or does it have to be replaced?
Many thanks,
Mick.

I had the datatool on mine....what a nightmare system!...Easy to remove it took me all of 20 mins to trace and remove it. Theres the obvious poer connections....

Indicator which is onthe right hand connector under the tank --- your see it attached. Simpy remove

Starter motor one which you remove and join the spade ends back together completing the original circuit.

ignition one which is obvious - simply disconnect

All i did was trave them all and bridge any agps or rejoin the orginal wires. It all depends how t was installed of course but it wasnt too difficult and the bike started first time afterwards. Take your time and pull the wires apart in the alarm loom then it all becomes obvious with a little patience.

Good luck

open the alarm

Jez, To do this you need a T10 Security Torx key, unless you can break the pip in the middle and use an ordinary Torx key or even a screwdriver

Al, Got the cover off (using a security key :) )and bridged 1 & 2, motor spins over. Can I leave 5 & 6 un-bridged and reassemble to still allow ignition immobilization?

Thanks,
Mick

Hi Foggy,
Thanks for the reply. I now have the bike in service mode with the fuse removed and have turned off the ignition. Unfortunately the ignition is still immobilised. Do I have to wait for the alarm battery to drain before the ignition wil come back to life and i can start the bike?

Your better off finding somewhere to settle for a night and chilling out slowly tracing the wires and removing it completely in my opinion. Just takes a bit of time but its easy honestly.... Put it this way i was in the same position as you but stuck at home and thought sod it I have nothing to lose as the bike wont run anway..... I was surprised how easy it was!.... If i can do it in 25mins and start the bike how long for a pro to do it?

1st sign of mine failing was the indicators not working when i activated the alarm.... Sorry I cant answer youre question as I just took it out

I put up with one day with the system 3 alarm, my wiring skills are not brilliant but £50 for a leky guy to come out & rip the POS thing out. Only took him about 20 minutes to do a really neat job on it. Although all the wires for the alarm loom are black if you followed it back to the splice area on my bike it became easy to see which wires had been snipped & bypassed through the alarm.

I put up with one day with the system 3 alarm, my wiring skills are not brilliant but £50 for a leky guy to come out & rip the POS thing out. Only took him about 20 minutes to do a really neat job on it. Although all the wires for the alarm loom are black if you followed it back to the splice area on my bike it became easy to see which wires had been snipped & bypassed through the alarm.

Worryingly easy isnt it! 20 mins and had mine removed and bike running again

Disabling system 3 alarm

Hi Al,
I've managed to get the alarm apart with a hacksaw and a screwdriver. There are a row of terminals along the top where the wires come into the alarm, a group of six and a group of eight. I'm guessing that I should be bridging the 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th in the group of 6 i.e the top left corner and not the group of 8.

There are also 6 terminals in the bottom right corner ( at 5 0'clock if the wires entering the alarm are at 12 o'clock). I'm guessing that I leave these alone, they seem to run to the siren.

Just wanted to be sure before i started rummaging around.
Cheers,
Jez.

Hi Al,
I've managed to get the alarm apart with a hacksaw and a screwdriver. There are a row of terminals along the top where the wires come into the alarm, a group of six and a group of eight. I'm guessing that I should be bridging the 1st and 2nd and 5th and 6th in the group of 6 i.e the top left corner and not the group of 8.

There are also 6 terminals in the bottom right corner ( at 5 0'clock if the wires entering the alarm are at 12 o'clock). I'm guessing that I leave these alone, they seem to run to the siren.

Just wanted to be sure before i started rummaging around.
Cheers,
Jez.

DO NOT SHORT ANY WIRES ON THE ALARM - YOU'LL TAKE OUT THE BIKES LOOM AND WON'T BE GOING ANYWHERE.

No need to open the alarm, just follow each alarm wire back to where it joins the loom.
Take a note of the colour where an alarm wire joins, and find the other other end of the same colour, they won't be very far from each other. Remove the black alarm wire and rejoin the same two colours back together.

If your stuck for any excess wire you can join the black alarm wires together going to the same coloured wire (If you don't understand that part, ignore it)

Repeat for the other black alarm wires and the alarm will be (h)armless :D

DO NOT SHORT ANY WIRES ON THE ALARM - YOU'LL TAKE OUT THE BIKES LOOM AND WON'T BE GOING ANYWHERE.

Err - it was Datatool that told me how to dissarm the thing :augie

There are 14 terminals along the top of the unit - a group of 6 and a group of 8.

Numbered from the left 1-14, bridge the following:

1&2 - Engine immobiliser
5&6 - Starter immobiliser

(by "bridge" - I mean add a shorting link across the terminals, leaving the original wires in place)

Also - disconnect the output to the sounder

The above causes no damage and means that you do not have to start ripping off sheathing to follow cables.

If you decide to send the alarm back for repair - simply mark all the cable ends and link the wires to 1/2, 5/6.

Al:thumb2

Err - it was Datatool that told me how to dissarm the thing :augie

Err, i've just had a bike collected to be taken to the salvage auctions after someone fried the loom trying to bypass the alarm. Written off, loom £489, 9 hours labour .

So just trying to emphasise not to be too cavalier pulling and joining the wires up. The old rule of "measure twice cut once" applies. :D

Err, i've just had a bike collected to be taken to the salvage auctions after someone fried the loom trying to bypass the alarm. Written off, loom £489, 9 hours labour .

So just trying to emphasise not to be too cavalier pulling and joining the wires up. The old rule of "measure twice cut once" applies. :D

Jesus! - Telling the guy exactly what terminals to bridge without fcuking about with the wiring loom - is cavalier? :nenau

Al :rolleyes:

Hope you're okay now Jez... :confused:
Just heard on BBC news that there's been a coup in Mauritania :eek:

Up and Running again

I've managed to regain control of the bike's engine and starter motor and we're back on the road. We've just heard about the coup when we arrived here in Bamako, Mali. Seems like we left the morning before the coup happened so I guess it's thanks to you good people and your help and advice that we managed to avoid it.
Thankfully the bike is 100% again as we did a 700km day yesterday and Mali seems much more stable and welcoming. The only down side is we were planning to come back through Mauritania in 3-4 week's time. We'll just have to keep an eye on how things develop.

Thanks again for all the help.
Jez.

Blackal your a star mate got me busa back on the road till weather picks up and i can spend time to remove it cause cant get the parts anymore as datatool has abandond us sys 3 users now :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom