The inside of my FD

patzx12

Reaction score
06 GSA 17k miles.
this is what it looks like inside the FD.
All looks well but I can feel some play in the small pinion gear, it also feels whiney when I spin it.
I will be removing this once I machine up a special tool for removing the castle nut.

Attachments

• DSC00807.jpg
    DSC00807.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 11,011
  • DSC00806.jpg
    DSC00806.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10,873
  • DSC00798.jpg
    DSC00798.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 10,938
  • DSC00803.jpg
    DSC00803.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 10,836
Very interesting! any problems getting it apart this far?

Very interesting indeed :thumb2
Why have you stripped it down? What parts are you replacing?

Cheers

Lee

I would be intrested to know how you split the unit apart and rebuild just for future reference!

Nice work Pat.

Any notable signs of wear eg lip seal scoring, crownwheel/pinion meshing wear marks, bearing play ?

Are you refitting the original shim(s) after replacing seals and/or bearings, or do you need to completely reshim things to set the crownwheel/pinion meshing ?

How difficult was it to get the rear disk carrier off the splines ? (any heat required ??)

I reckon you could make a few quid once you have made the required tooling, by repairing FD units by return of post. There was a lack of dealer support on this component, they seem to replace rather than repair these items and there is no shortage of concerned owners who have experienced FD problems (myself included).

No problem stripping the unit, I am an engineer but it is still an easy job.
Quite easy to pull off the disc carrier I made up a puller but you can buy bearing pullers.
I heated up the aluminium housing with a heat gun before knocking out the bearing.
Non of the bearings are worn but I will be replacing anyway. I think the problem with mine is the small pinion bearings.
ADVICE:
-Never power wash the rear of the bike.
-If you are changing the oil, give the pinion shaft a wiggle and see if there is any play. Change the RH seal at the same time it,s an easy job just remove the snap ring and remove the seal with a screwdriver or screw in some self tapping screws it pulls out easily.

Attachments

• DSC00801.jpg
    DSC00801.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 10,673
I look forward to the rebuild report.:thumb2

Any chance of knowing prices for the replacement parts required ??

Since you have the whole assembly apart,can you see or find any way the rear drive assembly breaths/vents itself??

That's over and above something I would tackle myself ...... but very interesting. I'll heed your advice about the power washer. This is the second time I've seen this advice this week.

Finally got the pinion shaft out it put up quite a fight but I boshed it.
I had to make up the special tools. Don’t try this at home, this is not a DIY job. The pinion nut and sleeve is so tight it you tried it in a home workshop the nut would stay tight and the workshop would turn.
Remember my FD was showing only mild symptoms of failure but none the less it was banjaxed.
The FD was perfect inside but for the small needle roller on the end of the pinion shaft.
This is the last part to come out of the FD, no wonder BMW throw them away rather than rebuilding them.
If I continued to ride the bike the bearing would have disintegrated and released the needles into the gears OUCH.

Attachments

• DSC00850.jpg
    DSC00850.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 10,156
  • DSC00848.jpg
    DSC00848.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10,143
  • DSC00854.jpg
    DSC00854.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 10,159
  • DSC00853.jpg
    DSC00853.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12,432
That's over and above something I would tackle myself ...... but very interesting. I'll heed your advice about the power washer. This is the second time I've seen this advice this week.

Hi, it's just my opinion but why subject the seals to high pressure force of any kind.

When I used to ride enduros we never pressure washed around any of the bearings even though they were replaced regularly and were easier and cheaper than this. Good pics and write up.:thumb2

good thread this,well done sir for getting it apart,i bet you were quite pleased to see the obvious wear after all that effort,to be proved right is what i mean.
do bmw dealers really not rebuild this pinion bearing,surley a chance to bill more labour than a straight swop?

just thought you must have to replace pinion as well as needle roller?
how much that then?

Wow - good job :thumb2
You most certainly are an engineer.

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild.

Well done getting that apart, must have been unbelievably tight and what a state that pinion roller bearing is in!

Brilliant project, but I think best left to the professionals if not got the same level of technical know how.
Just to add when heating something up to help it split, make sure you don't heat it too much as it might change the material properties a bit, I believe you can get Temple crayons/sticks that melt onto to the job once top temperature is reached. Just thought your better to know.

Looking forward to seeing the rebiuld pics, looks like good job done.

Hello ,

congratulations, nice job you did , especially the making of the tool :thumb2

Well , I guess the wear of the pignon and the needle roller did not only occured to your bike , but to most of the GS 12 , we just simply ignore that fact ,because we have no possibility to check that, unless we open the FD .

I am sure if I open mine FD with similar milage , I will discover the same issue.... :mad:

A+ Pogo

Back
Top Bottom