National Defence Medal

Is that opinion based on personal experience Ned??

+1 to Pukmeister's comments!

Ned your statement is a gross generalisation and, in most cases based on my past and current experience, complete tosh. Yes we fight/sail/fly for the respect of our Oppos but that's far from the full story.

I don't have any medals despite having been full-time in the RN for well over 10 years now. Technically I did qualify for the QGSM however when I did some digging part of my qualifying time was when I was studying with the RN at Uni. Hence I've never applied as I could never wear it and look myself in the face with pride.

Now, that's just me and others may well have done differently. The fact is that this medal that can be bought simply devalues those that have been earned rather than purchased.

UK Armed Forces are known for their medals having real value. Long may this remain the case. :clap

Gotta disagree, you just look at some of the old WW2 vets on rememberance parade wearing theres, would you really stop these very proud men showing what they achieved.

If they have pride in themselves, they don't need to wear medals to prove it.

Remembrance Day is about remembering the fallen, it's not about displaying your own credentials.

Yes, served in the first gulf war, 4 times in the Former Yugoslavia (first time with the UN on Op Grapple 1 when it first kicked off) numerous tours of Northern Ireland and 2006 was mostly spent 'on the ground' in Baghdad as part of a small Brit attachment. Now just waiting for tour of Afghan for my last tour, served just over 20years so far. I wouldn't comment unless it was from experience;)

i ll stick with the ones ive got thanks:mmmm

:thumb :rob

DSC_0414.jpg

Yes, served in the first gulf war, 4 times in the Former Yugoslavia (first time with the UN on Op Grapple 1 when it first kicked off) numerous tours of Northern Ireland and 2006 was mostly spent 'on the ground' in Baghdad as part of a small Brit attachment. Now just waiting for tour of Afghan for my last tour, served just over 20years so far. I wouldn't comment unless it was from experience;)

Keep your head down mate, you're pretty close to that pension cheque.:thumb

My son receiving his OSM (Afghanistan) from you-know-who last year.

Attachments

• EdwardmedalA.JPG
    EdwardmedalA.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 160
We're all different...

I tend to fall in with Mike P on this, I had a crown above my capbadge From age 16 to age 55 with just a very small break for 3 years.

My days for medals are long over, on Rememberance Day I often see Police and TA personnel with rows of gongs on both sides of their chest, which,too me, looks almost comical, but to each his own thoughts and feelings.

The only thing I wear on RD is the new Vet's badge, and have to say I don't feel too comfortable with even it. :nenau

If they have pride in themselves, they don't need to wear medals to prove it.

Remembrance Day is about remembering the fallen, it's not about displaying your own credentials.

Why bother with medals at all then? if it's just for showing appreciation when those serving are in uniform then does that appreciation vanish when they leave the forces, does all the good and bad these people have gone through mean nothing except to those who went through it, let em wear their medals, they've earnt them, why shouldn't the young question what they mean, when told they might just have abit more respect for that 'funnily old bloke' living next door. Rememberance day isn't just about remembering the fallen, it's about remembering the suffering of those left behind as well. You should look at the faces of some of the WW2 vets on rememberance day, you'll realise they've suffered everyday since, would you want to be the one to tell them they shouldn't wear their medals.

Why bother with medals at all then? if it's just for showing appreciation when those serving are in uniform then does that appreciation vanish when they leave the forces, does all the good and bad these people have gone through mean nothing except to those who went through it, let em wear their medals, they've earnt them, why shouldn't the young question what they mean, when told they might just have abit more respect for that 'funnily old bloke' living next door. Rememberance day isn't just about remembering the fallen, it's about remembering the suffering of those left behind as well. You should look at the faces of some of the WW2 vets on rememberance day, you'll realise they've suffered everyday since, would you want to be the one to tell them they shouldn't wear their medals.
Still don't get it do you?

The whole point of Remembrance is to remember those who "made the ultimate sacrifice."

It's not for saying thank you to the living, there are other ways to do that and I'll add, places for those who wish to wear their medals and reminisce.

Most regiments and units have Associations. Almost all will have reunions where people can get together and swing the lamp.

Remembrance Day is unique in that it's when all the Walts appear bedecked in badges and medals to which they are not entitled (they wouldn't dare turn-up at a reunion because they'd be spotted in seconds)..

It used to be that medals worn on the right breast denoted that the wearer was the next of kin of someone killed in action. Today, the world and his wife can be seen wearing medals in this manner.

Sorry but things are getting out of hand.

I think I can understand why people want to wear medals at Remembrance Services and I can even stretch to an understanding as to the Walt phenomena but when all is said and done, no-one needs to wear medals to display their thanks and respect to the dead.

As to the point of medals?

Well there are those that are "time-served" and for just being there. Then there are those for particular acts. Among the family medals on my mum's wall are two gallantry awards. One of the recipients is still alive. He has the right to put the award after his name. He doesn't. He knows about that gallantry award, he doesn't need to tell everyone else about it.

But I do 'get it' I don't agree with having to buy medals, I also don't think that theres a need for relations to wear medals, I just can't understand why somene would say that those who've earn't something shouldn't be entitled to wear it whenever they want too, whether it's in uniform or not. I can understand those that don't feel the need to wear theres, I don't feel I'd be particularly comfortable wearing mine, I just wouldn't have a problem wih others wearing theirs. I do think rememberance day is about remembering those who've gone before, but also think that those left behind are still sufferig and if they want to wear there medals they've earn't the right, and if you've earn't the right to tell them not too thats fair enough.

[
My days for medals are long over, on Rememberance Day I often see Police and TA personnel with rows of gongs on both sides of their chest, which,too me, looks almost comical, but to each his own thoughts and feelings.

harry
Perhaps you are forgetting that many Police and T.A. were regulars and on ceremonial occassions when in uniform they are required to wear medals, also perhaps you haven't noticed the number of T.A. soldiers who are now being deployed overseas along with the regular army, as you say everyone to their own as regards view point but I don't think you can seperate the people that some may think 'deserve' to wear medals more than others.

[

Perhaps you are forgetting that many Police and T.A. were regulars and on ceremonial occassions when in uniform they are required to wear medals, also perhaps you haven't noticed the number of T.A. soldiers who are now being deployed overseas along with the regular army, as you say everyone to their own as regards view point but I don't think you can seperate the people that some may think 'deserve' to wear medals more than others.

Mika, you misunderstand me, the chests full of gongs on both sides were obviously not all their own, ie the were wearing their fathers as well.

I am better placed than most to fully appreciate the TA input, I trained many of them at No 1 PTS.

Still don't get it do you?

The whole point of Remembrance is to remember those who "made the ultimate sacrifice."

It's not for saying thank you to the living, there are other ways to do that and I'll add, places for those who wish to wear their medals and reminisce.

I don't think you get it fella. You are entitled to your opinion but if it weren't for the sacrifices those blokes DEAD and ALIVE made you may not even have that. Would you, on remembrance day or any other day for that matter, turn your back on a veteran because it wasn't his day...maybe he should've died, he'd have earnt his medal then!!!

My understanding of "remembrance" is to reflect on the actions of generations gone by and learn from them, hopefully never to repeat the mistakes while paying tribute to all those that fought for the "freedom" we enjoy today. Yes some paid the "ultimate sacrifice" but many others have suffered every day since.

I don't know anyone who wears a medal to "display their thanks and respect to the dead". But I do know plenty who wear them through pride and deserved justification. Why shouldn't they get the acknowledgement and a bit of praise.

Pukmeister said:

Navy Boy said:
+1 to Pukmeister's comments!

Ned your statement is a gross generalisation and, in most cases based on my past and current experience, complete tosh.

:augie

nedflanders said:
Yes, served in the first gulf war, 4 times in the Former Yugoslavia (first time with the UN on Op Grapple 1 when it first kicked off) numerous tours of Northern Ireland and 2006 was mostly spent 'on the ground' in Baghdad as part of a small Brit attachment. Now just waiting for tour of Afghan for my last tour, served just over 20years so far. I wouldn't comment unless it was from experience ;)

:blast :D:D:D:beerjug:

Just stumbled across this thread, wont add much other than that I`m with Ned on what he says.:thumb2

Mika, you misunderstand me, the chests full of gongs on both sides were obviously not all their own, ie the were wearing their fathers as well.

I am better placed than most to fully appreciate the TA input, I trained many of them at No 1 PTS

Harry, yes I did misunderstand your original post. Probably like yourself I think it is pathetic if people are standing displaying others efforts.

MIKA

I don't think you get it fella. You are entitled to your opinion but if it weren't for the sacrifices those blokes DEAD and ALIVE made you may not even have that.
What's your problem?

Where have I said anything that denies the sacrifices made?

Would you, on remembrance day or any other day for that matter, turn your back on a veteran because it wasn't his day...maybe he should've died, he'd have earnt his medal then!!!
You are a twat.

Last word?

Still stick by my original post, served 82-90 RE an then Police, never served in any theatre that earned me a medal, I only have the utmost respect for those that earn them. I could wear one on the left I guess, however, not sure an Iron Cross (1st Class) would go down to well especially here!!

Lets not belittle the sacrifices made by our boys, even if people dont agree with the politics behnd the modern conflicts
:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom