Road Rides

PW Cymru

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just to give people a few options for road rides and to keep the numbers down, don't want to frighten the Gog's do we.

Tarka's doing his back road "No hi-vis" run-out which will no doubt be excellent and probably well attended. Tarka's already posted so if your going on that run please post in Tarka's thread.

So to try and thin the numbers down Sgt Bilco will be leading a run to the coast and so will I, but in opposite directions so we don't catch up with one another. Lets Call them North Run (Bimble lots of photo's and wee breaks) and South run (As Bilc's see's fit)

Would appreciate if you could post up your choice:-

a) North run

b) South run

Bimble sounds good to me, I likes a bimble in places new to me, so I'll be up for the North Run I reckon.

Got hi-vis though, sorry!

Just to wet your appetites boys and girls. It wll be a great road run with just about every type of road:thumb It`s about 180 miles and will take around 6 hours.

Outside the Hand Hotel at 10 sharp with a full tank of fuel please. Be warned that I don`t think there is fuel in Llangollen.

Attachments

• GSer route 001.jpg
    GSer route 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 323
  • GSer route 007.jpg
    GSer route 007.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 318
  • GSer route 009.jpg
    GSer route 009.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 302
  • GSer route 014.jpg
    GSer route 014.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 320
  • GSer route 016.jpg
    GSer route 016.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 318
Just to wet your appetites boys and girls. It wll be a great road run with just about every type of road:thumb It`s about 180 miles and will take around 6 hours.

Outside the Hand Hotel at 10 sharp with a full tank of fuel please. Be warned that I don`t think there is fuel in Llangollen.

You're right, the last garage got replaced with a block of apartments, so refuel before arriving at the town.

You're right, the last garage got replaced with a block of apartments, so refuel before arriving at the town.

Where is the nearest petrol station coming from the east along the A5?

There's a big BP garage on the A5 at Chirk, about 8 miles east of Llangollen, junction with the B5070.

There is a fuel station in Machynlleth which is about half way round the route so we`ll stop there for top ups!

For obvious reasons, it`s easier for everyone to have a full tank on departure from Llangollen:thumb

In the light of Tarka now not doing his ride, I`ll just make a few requests for this one:

It`s quite a long route but is a superb ride with all the best bits of Wales.
9-45 sharp at the Hand for pre flight briefing and depart at 10.
There will be a lot of single track but no offroad unless you count riding through sheep shit as green laning.
Oh, and there is gates.
If there is enough folk, we`ll do two rides led by myself and PW Cymru.
We will be sticking to the route and will have a nice lunch half way round.
Usual drop off system will be used.

We have to have some proper organisation otherwise any ride will be feckin chaos and some will miss the best bits of the roads and scenery.

For those not familiar with the second man drop off:-

..................................................​

*****Here are some useful tips for those joining the rides*****

• Try to arrive with a full tank..

• The road ride will be leaving the Hand Hotel car park at 10:00 sharp, give yourself enough time to be ready to leave at 10:00.

On the road.
Please give everyone enough space and be prepared for the unexpected as not everyone will know the route/roads.

The Second Man Drop Off System

This requires a Leader, a Tail ender, and the Riders.

• The Leader,- is familiar with the route, and follows it. He should carry a mobile in case of problems on route. He will point out to the first person behind him where to wait to be best positioned to mark each junction.

• The Tail ender, - is ideally familiar with the route also, but doesn’t have to be. They will stay at the back for the entire ride and will be pointed out at the beginning of the ride. (They may wear a fluro vest to make them more prominent). The tail ender is exactly that, everyone else stays in front of them, once the junction marker sees the Tail ender, approaching they should move off.

• The Riders – if at any point the route deviates i.e. you take a turn off, the first of the Riders behind the Leader, will stop to mark the way
    at the junction in a place prominent to the rest of the following group.

• Once the Tail ender, has arrived, the junction marker can then move off.

• If any of the Riders decides to drop off the back of the group (behind the tail ender), they must inform the Tail ender, what's going on.

A few safety points
  • Do not ride above your ability/limits to try and keep up. There will be a bike waiting for you at the next junction. There will be regular stops for a breather/fag break during which you can catch up safely. (Just because we have pulled over for a couple of minutes it doesn’t mean we are having a fag break though! if the Leaders helmet is still on, he isn’t planning on stopping)

• Do not get pushed along by a faster bike behind you. Move over and let them through. Slower riders, beware you may be holding up a faster rider and move over, let them past.

• Ride at a pace that is within your ability.

• Its not a race and you wont get left behind. Just because you cant see the bike in front doesn’t mean you’re going to get left behind. Take it steady, someone will be waiting somewhere.

• If everyone follows these simple ideas we can all enjoy a cracking ride, and have a great time in the evening.

<p align="center">**************************************************************
* The organiser accepts no responsibility for the actions of the participants. *

The participants accept that they are attending by their own free will and in
the knowledge that they are at all times responsible for their own actions,
and their own safety.
</p>

Adapted from a Ride Out Etiquette written by Abel

Any clues as to what the route will be and estimated end time please? :)

The route is a cracker and basically goes out toward the coast and back over the mountains. That`s all I`m gonna say:augie

If we get away on time, the estimate is 6/7 hours with a few breaks so bcak at the Hand for 5pm:thumb

There will be 3 of us joining you, 2 x R1150 GSA SE & 1 x R1150GS. Hopefully, the weather will be kind. Looking forward to it. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom