Klanky's GOTC Rideout?

Klanky

Reaction score
After recieving various threats from fellow SS members, I have reluctantly agreed (against my will and better judgement..) to try and organise 'a bit of a rideout' on Saturday of the GOTC.

The purpose of this post is to find out if there is any genuine interest in doing the route I have in mind.

Bearing in mind there will be a few people at GOTC who have never travelled to the North of Scotland before, I thought it would be a good idea to try and do an all-day ride taking in some of the best scenery - along with some quieter roads - to give them an idea of just how good it can be up here.

Here's the idea:

Off from Ullapool 09:30
Heading North to Ledmore Junction and then heading East down Strath Oykel for Lairg.
Strath Oykel is a fantastic single track road in very good condition with virtually no traffic..as the tourists tend to stick to the coast road. Plenty of superb views and photie opportunities.

At Lairg we turn North into the remote wilds of inland Sutherland, passing through Altnaharra and coming out on the spectacular North coast at the Kyle of Tongue. We will stop somewhere around here for something to eat/coffee.

Travelling West on the North Coast, we go round Loch Erriboll stopping off for photies where we wish and eventually regrouping in Durness at the car park and toilets.

From here we will head past the ferry point for Cape Wrath (see here for details of the Tossers Amphibious assault on Cape Wrath) and South on more fantastic roads towards Kylesku where we will regroup again so those who have been stopping for photies can catch up.
The roads on this section go from good quality single track to good quality 'proper' road with cracking bends and very little traffic.........:augie

Depending on time/weather interest/apathy we will go to the junction at Loch Assynt and either take the short route home or go down to Lochinver to take an absolute treat of a tiny narrow road back to Ullapool.

The whole thang will take around six hours at a steady pace and allowing for food/comfort breaks. So back for 16:30ish. I did the whole route today and it's a longish day but not a very taxing 180 miles.

I'll not take more than 12 people on this. Please only say you'd like to go if you mean it. Providing there is at least one person who wants to go - I'll do it. If nobody puts their name down on here then I'll just stay in Ullapool and get pished.

First 12 get priority.

Don't ask feckwit questions about where we can get pies or what oil to drink before setting off or fuel stops...we can sort all the crap later.

I just want to know if anyone is genuinely interested.

Over to you......

They be a further 2 ride outs so we don't have huge groups hogging up the roads :thumb2

Myself will take one and Garfud t'other :thumb2

That's two of us then.:D

Trip on...

plus two maybe three depends who i come up with but certainly two:)

enjoyed the north west run south from durness last time can't wait to do it again:drool

Yes for me. Cheers Klanky:bounce1

That's Saturday sorted.

I fancy going to John O Groats on Sunday, just to say I have been there.

Not been to this part of the country before and am really looking forward to it.....

Dave

Never been around that part of the country before.

Count me in. :thumb2

GS John
Go anywhere K +1
A.N. Other (tbc by Go Anywhere)
David Lee
Freeloader
Arsey
chasr
loftyboy
Doyle

(2 places left).

GS John
Go anywhere K +1
David Lee
Freeloader
Arsey
chasr
loftyboy
Doyle
Nakambale

(one place left):thumb2

Shipmate,
Count me in, if there is still a place:thumb2

Regards

Kevin

GS John
Go anywhere K +1
David Lee
Freeloader
Arsey
chasr
loftyboy
Doyle
Nakambale
JKM

Sorry folks, no more spaces left. Unless Goanywheres' mate cannot make it.

Just to clarify, the reason for me limiting places to a dozen is because a lot of the roads are single track with passing places - I want to keep the group manageable where possible. Big groups don't mix with roads like these.

To those of you who are on the trip, I'll get back to you all later with a more detailed plan on potential fuel stops, eats and where to regroup en route if we get split up.

It should be good.:thumb2

To those of you who are on the trip, I'll get back to you all later with a more detailed plan on potential fuel stops, eats and where to regroup en route if we get split up.

It should be good.:thumb2

Thought it was 180 miles ish ?

Will some need to refuel in that short distance ?

:augie

Thought it was 180 miles ish ?

Will some need to refuel in that short distance ?

:augie

I was thinking of heading over on my HP2 but now you come to mentuion it maybe not the best place for a 11 litre tank:(

Is there anywhere I can see the fuel stations around that area as I don't have my Garmin software out here with me:nenau

I was thinking of heading over on my HP2 but now you come to mentuion it maybe not the best place for a 11 litre tank:(

Is there anywhere I can see the fuel stations around that area as I don't have my Garmin software out here with me:nenau

More than you'd think.

Oop North you've got the following (heading from the North coast down the West side):

Bettyhill
Kyle of Tongue
Durness
Scourie
Lochinver
Ullapool
Lairg (in the middle)

Heading Sooth from Ulllapool

One in between Ullapool and Gairloch (can't remember name of village).
Gairloch
Applecross
Loch Carron

Around 30-40 miles in between fuel stations on average.

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom