...LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE...

JALFREZI

Reaction score
Having just put down the phone down, the realisation hit me that l had just booked the Level 2 Tour. l had phoned M-M with the intention of booking the road only trip, but with 6 months to go there was plenty of time to practice or so l thought .
Anyway the nice lady on the phone (Rosie) assured me that everything would be OK and l would be fine mmmm...we'll see.

DAY 1, MONDAY 24TH NOVEMBER 2008
6 months on and the only practice was a weekend in Wales with a very patient Simon Pavey(nice bloke). l was now in Bill's Lancruiser pulling into the Hotel La Menara car park in Marrakech where we will be staying for the first night. Met up with Tim and Wayne who with Bill were there to make sure we didn't get lost or worse. Me, Gary, Dave, Tony, and Chris who arrived later that day were the paying customers.
Nick015.jpg

Nick013-1.jpg

Nick014.jpg

We checked over our bikes to make sure all was OK , all we needed now was lunch and insurance so Bill took us to a company he had used before with a cafe next door, perfect.
Back to the hotel sorted out our luggage for the next day, met for a briefing and then a short walk to spend an evening in the the main square Djemaa el-Fna.
Fantastic place lots going on and very busy with locals and tourists. Tim was leading the way and took us to a place he had eaten before were he knew the food would be good and it was.

Nick015a.jpg

Nick015b.jpg

This was some of the tastiest food l was to have on the whole trip, plenty for everyone and really cheap.
Nick016.jpg

Nick015c.jpg

Tony looks less comfortable with his new best friend.

DAY 2, TUESDAY 25TH NOVEMBER
MARRAKECH TO QUARZAZATE
Up early for breakfast and then out to the bikes. Stocked up with plenty of water and nibbles from the petrol station on the corner and filled up the Camelbak. We headed out of Marrakech and out towards Tiz-N-Tichka. Having not been on the bike for a couple of weeks it was good to be riding again.
Nick020.jpg

After a couple of hours we stopped for coffee
Nick021.jpg

We were heading up towards the mountains now and Bill had promised some good twisty roads and they were brilliant mile after mile. The Tkc's did well on tarmac better than they had a right to.

Nick021a.jpg

Nick023.jpg

The intention was to stop for lunch but it was bitterly cold so we all took pictures and decided to push on. Beginning to see how impressive the scenery is.

Nick024.jpg

We continued for a few more miles and left the tarmac for the first time on the trip. Have to confess riding down a narrow trail over big rocks was a steep learning curve for me, made an absolute cods of it but got down in the end. All credit to the others they made a good job of it.

Nick027.jpg

Nick028.jpg

Dropped down into a village for hot coffee, fresh bread and omelette.

Nick029.jpg

Nick030.jpg

Probably the best omelette l've tasted. Nice friendly people and proper toilets.

Nick032.jpg

Nick033.jpg

Nick034.jpg

Nick035.jpg

Nick036.jpg

This was probably one of the best piste's of the tour and we are all getting a bit more confident.

Nick037.jpg

Nick038.jpg

Dave's turn for the character building experience.

Nick039.jpg

Nick040.jpg

It doesn't get much better than this.

Nick041.jpg

Nick042.jpg

My turn

Nick043.jpg

EOS 1 for holiday snaps :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's HUGE :eek::eek: :ymca

It stayed on the back of his bike for the whole trip as well......when he wasn't using it I mean :blast
There was more than a slight look of panic when he threw his 800 into a river, as you'll probably see 'cos I'm sure Nick will post that one too :thumb2
Nice one Nick, keep it coming :clap
:popcorn

It stayed on the back of his bike for the whole trip as well......when he wasn't using it I mean :blast
There was more than a slight look of panic when he threw his 800 into a river, as you'll probably see 'cos I'm sure Nick will post that one too :thumb2
Nice one Nick, keep it coming :clap

That body and L lens probably cost MORE than his girly 800 :D

Riding through water with at least 4 camera's pointing at you, waiting for you to fall has got to be one worst experiences.
Most of us got through one way or another as Dave did here.

Nick044.jpg

Tony's turn, does he.......

Nick045.jpg

No, but nearly did. Full marks for style.

Nick046.jpg

This was a great piste. I would like to have ridden that again after a weeks more experience but great fun on the first day, despite dropping the bike on numerous occasions.

Nick047.jpg

Tim makes it look so easy.

Nick049.jpg

Nick050.jpg

Stopped for coffee at Ait-Benhaddou. What a view.

Nick051.jpg

Nick052.jpg

Chris cooling down after a hot day

Nick053.jpg

Waiting for food, but glad to see that Bill, Wayne and Tim had got their priorities right on the beer front. Looks like Chris had found himself an overly familiar waiter probably not one of their busiest nights.
It will be another early start tomorrow, can't wait.

Nick055.jpg

Looks like Chris had found himself an overly familiar waiter probably not one of their busiest nights.
It will be another early start tomorrow, can't wait.

The Hotel La vallee in Ouzazarte :thumb2...they know us very well in there and look after us extremely well.

Tim, David Hale and I turned up there at 11 at night after a rather interesting night time descent from Askouan a few years back and within an hour, they'd rustled us up a very large kefta omelette and a bottle of wine....top guys and a good laugh:thumb

sorry, :topic

DAY 3, WEDNESDAY 26TH NOVEMBER
QUARZAZATE
Early start for breakfast on the terrace by the pool followed by inevitable fettling of the bikes after yesterdays eventful ride.
The plan today is to ride just outside of the town to where the desert film studio's are based. This will give us our first practice/play in the sand for a couple of hours and then head off on to the local piste's with a mix of surfaces for the rest of the day.

Nick057.jpg

By the time we get to the studio's it's time to strip off.

Nick057a.jpg

Nick058.jpg

GSA built for storming forts, Dave's artistic photo.

Nick059.jpg

Nick060.jpg

This is where we started seeing Chris in a different light. For someone who only passed his 9 months ago the he was a natural, makes yer sick.

Nick061.jpg

Normally Tim would lead but on this occasion we followed Wayne, think we'll stick with Tim.

Nick063.jpg

Nick064.jpg

Nick067.jpg

Stopped here for a drink break, rumours of rabid dogs living in the old film set did not worry us. But a local coming towards wanting money did so off we went.

Nick069.jpg

Nick071.jpg

Nick071a.jpg

Oh no, just when confidence arrives this happens, strange but 30 seconds earlier l was riding in completely the opposite direction.

Nick073.jpg

Back to Ait-benhaddou for lunch.

Nick074.jpg

After we had filled our faces there was time to play in the water. Don't worry readers l'm sure Tims bike will be ok.

Nick080.jpg

Nick082.jpg

Tony riding up from the river.
Note disappointed shop owner missing a 20mph sales opportunity.

Nick083.jpg

Rode out on tarmac for a while to find the next piste.
I'm sure it's somewhere out there.

Nick085.jpg

Nick086.jpg

These women must have been walking for miles with these branches on their backs as there was no vegitation around.
Decided against showing my wife this picture (better stop while i'm ahead as it's almost time for tea).

Nick087.jpg

Back on the piste's and the weather was on the turn and beginning to get cold.

Nick088.jpg

Nick089.jpg

I said it was getting colder, looks like character building time again.

Nick090.jpg

Nick091.jpg

At the briefing in Marrakech, Bill made sure that we understood the two most important rules.
Rule 1. Check that the rider is ok after a fall.
Rule 2. Take a picture.
I think that Bill must be very proud of the fact that we obeyed these rules even in these adverse conditions while he drove his Land Cruiser with climate control, heated seats etc etc etc.

Nick093.jpg

Rule 3
Check that Tony's camera is ok after a fall.

Nick094.jpg

This scenery never fails to impress me. As good as these photo's are they just do not do it justice.

Nick095.jpg

Nick096.jpg

Nick097.jpg

Stop for water and a smoke.

Nick098.jpg

Nick099.jpg

Nick101.jpg

We re-fueled in Boumalne-Dades and continued on to our hotel in Ait-Youl. By now the sun was going down it was bitterly cold but Bill had done us proud. He had reached the hotel earlier that afternoon (should explain, Bill goes on ahead carrying all our luggage, tools, spares etc in the 4x4 and books the hotels). I think that the hotel was closed for the winter but the owner had opened up just for us.
Bill had organised a log fire in the lounge and heaters on full in the bedrooms and to cap it all 3 bottles of red wine, excellent.

Having looked closely at the picture not sure what Tony was doing.

Nick102.jpg

Supping a glass of wine in front of the fire. What ever was happening l found amusing but didn't look like anyone else did.
Could have been when Gary was warming his cheeks (you had to be there) by the fire.
Please note huge camera No 2 belongs to Dave.

Nick103.jpg

DAY 5, FRIDAY 28TH NOVEMBER
AIT-YOUL TO TINERHIR
This was one of the days l was waiting for, heading up the Dades Gourge to Agoudal then pick up the Todra Gourge down to Tinererhir.

Nick104.jpg

While l was getting my gear on Tim noticed that my right fork was leaking. Optimistically we thought it could be due to the altitude, temperature etc and decide to ride on to the next stop.

Nick105.jpg

Nick106.jpg

Probably one of the most photographed roads in Morocco, but no less impressive when you are there.

Nick110.jpg

Nick111.jpg

No better place to stop for coffee.

Nick112.jpg

Chris practising being a shop assistant, make a change from milking cows.

Nick113.jpg

With the others on their way there was time to take more pictures of this stunning scenery.

Nick114.jpg

Nick115.jpg

Nick116.jpg

Nick118.jpg

Nick119.jpg

With oil now pissing out of my left fork as well things were not looking to hopeful with the brake discs and tyre covered in it.
Decision was made to let the others continue with Bill following me till the tarmac ended then turn around go back down and ride to Tinerhir by road and tomorrow either ride the KTM to Zagora , where there is a mechanic, or put it on the trailer.
We really needed to try and get new fork seals or the rest of my trip was in jeopardy. So l phoned (got a signal in the middle of nowhere) Ian and Alistair at Jim Aim Motorcycles to see if they could express fork seals to Zagora. Anyway to cut a long story short they were as usual very helpful and worked out the quickest way was for us to contact a dealer in Casablanca who had someone in the parts dept. that could speak English. They would ship the seals (only had one set) to Zagora where they would be waiting for us on the Sunday. A special mention to Bill who while we were on the move was talking to the UK and Casablanca on the phone to get all this sorted out for me. Thanks again.

Nick120.jpg

With Bill leading the way we continued down out of the Gorge, past last night’s hotel in Ait-Youl and turned left on to the N10 towards Tinerhir. We were just about to leave the outskirts of Boumalne Dades when a policeman pulls Bill over for speeding. As any travelling companion would do in a situation like this I left him to it, stopping about 300m further on. Bill had told me that Moroccan police often supplement their income from speeding fines but on this occasion he thought he was probably genuine so paid up grudgingly and went on his way.

On arriving in Tinerhir, we headed for the hotel near the centre of town. Now Bill had told me that l would really like this hotel so you can imagine my surprise when we parked by a dark doorway between two shops. Entering through a long murky corridor and up some steps, l thought that Bill had seriously misjudged my taste in hotels, but on turning left through a doorway we entered the courtyard of a beautifully refurbished Riad, definitely the best hotel we had stayed in yet. On numerous occasions on this trip l had been surprised by the lavish courtyards of fountains and palm trees, that were behind often very unassuming simple rustic doors.

We unloaded everyone’s luggage from the Landcruiser, left my bike in the car park and drove out of town towards the Todra Gorge. It had been some time since we last spoke to the others, so it was decided that we would drive up the Gorge to meet them. By the time we got to the beginning of the piste it had been dark for some time and there was no sign of the others not even headlights in the distance.
There was nothing to be gained by staying there, so we continued back down until we got a mobile signal and at last we were speaking to the others. There had been problems which meant that they had to abandon the piste and head back down Dades Gorge and follow the tarmac route that we had taken earlier.

These are their pictures (didn’t think it looked that bad).

Nick121.jpg

Nick122.jpg

Nick123.jpg

Well there is Chris's bike

Nick124.jpg

I admire his persistance, but without the bike it's not the same.

Nick125.jpg

It was not going to be a good day for Gary.

Nick126.jpg

Nick127.jpg

Nick128.jpg

DAY 6, SATURDAY 29TH NOVEMBER
TINERHIR- ZAGORA
Today is going to be fast piste's across the plains and mountain trails, but not for me. My bike was going on the trailer and l was going in the Landcruiser with Bill (no reflection on Bill) on tarmac roads to Zagora, not the day l had wanted.
Anyway walking into the restaurant for breakfast, Bill asked if l wanted to ride today, of course l would who wouldn't, well Gary actually said Bill. He wanted to rest up for the day in the Landcruiser and the rental Kalahari was going begging. I thought about this for one second and grabbed the keys and went back to my room to get changed. Hoorah.
With my rather sad looking, leaking KTM on the the trailer providing photo opportunities for the chuckeling BMW fraternity, l looked over my wheels for the day which now looked rather sad.
With one of its handlebar mirrors missing and a front left indicator dangling down and swaying in the morning breeze, l swung my leg over the seat, sat down and found out that without motocross boots on, l probably would have just fractured both my shins on engine bars. But lets not worry about that l was on two wheels (just) not four and riding again.

Nick129.jpg

Doesn't that view look great, I don't think l was the only one but sometimes you just stand and look. Must be my sensitive side.

Nick130.jpg

We stopped after an hour or so for water and cigarettes. Looks as though Wayne was after more than that, never realised he was left handed.

Nick131.jpg

I do like Tims bike.

Nick132.jpg

Nick133-1.jpg

I think we all did a lot of looking that morning.

Nick134-1.jpg

Nick135-1.jpg

We were riding up the north side of the mountain that was still in shade, this meant that the heavily rutted tracks were iced over and covered in snow. I was finding it impossible to get any grip from the rear tyre which kept wanting to slide out to the right with just the slightest touch of throttle.

Lack of experience or strange bike or both l was just not making progress on this surface and was probably looking a bit pissed off when Tim rode back to find me (how does he make it look so easy?). He said that there was only another couple of kilometres to go and when l get to the top it will all be worth it, that man ever said a truer word.

Nick136-1.jpg

When we pulled up at this cafe a young couple with two small children came out to welcome us and they looked so happy. In about 20 minutes they had made us coffee, fresh hot bread and ommlettes absolutely delicious. Whether it was the arduous (for me) trip to the top, the mountain views or the family that had built this cafe themselves on top of a mountain or the peacefulness but this place was something special.

Nick138-1.jpg

Nick139-1.jpg

Nick140.jpg

What amazed me was that whatever direction you looked there were mountains as far as you could see. Perhaps l should get out more often.

Nick141.jpg

Nick142.jpg

Being south facing the piste down from the cafe was free of ice and snow, although easier l could never relax with loose gravel and rock on bends and a few hundred metre drop if you got it wrong.
I was even getting a bit of a soft spot for Gary's Kalahari especially on the slow technical bits.

The picture below is of Dave's GSA.

Nick143.jpg

Nick144.jpg

We finished the piste in Nekob and stopped there for coffee and fuel before moving on to pick up the N9 for Zagora, with still a long way to go that day before we got to stop for the night.
By the time we reached the hotel it had been dark for about two hours, with the last part being particulary difficult due to pedestrians, horse and carts, mopeds and bicycle without any lights the worst being small children running out to wave at the bikes going past completely unaware that you couldn't see them, very frightening.
The hotels seem to get better every night with this one having a spectacular courtyard with palm tree's, fountains a swimming pool and more importantly a outdoor bar with plenty of cold beers.

DAY 7, SUNDAY 30TH NOVEMBER
ZAGORA
After breakfast we all rode down to Mohamed's workshop as most of us needed something doing even it was just some fettling. I think Gary and Dave both had new rear tyres fitted, Tim was working on his electrics, Wayne had lost most of his front muguard so got a couple of the young lads there to screw what was left to the underside of his fairing. I think Tony's bike was the only one not requiring any work, although l could be wrong.

Nick147.jpg

Nick149.jpg

This was like a shrine to desert rallying with pictures of the riders and drivers who had stopped there for repairs.

Nick148.jpg

The good news for me was that the fork seals had arrived on the Saturday and were ready to be fitted, the only problem was that having arrived at 9am as requested, Mohamed was yet to arrive to do the work. In his absence the young lads started to strip the forks out of the yokes at which point l was beginning to get a bit concerned, but in all fairness they seemed to know what they were doing.
About an hour or so later the man himself arrived, giving instructions to the youngest for tea to be made for everyone. Then he disappeared into the darkness with both fork legs. Now the clever bit, how can he take one set of fork seals and make two sets out of them.

Nick150.jpg

Wayne thought this was very funny and to be honest l did as well.
So Rule 3 never lose your sense of humour.

Nick151.jpg

Apart from me and my bike everyone was ready to ride, Tim and Chris rode down to Mhamid to play in the sand dunes.

Nick153.jpg

All credit to him, Chris is a natural off-road biker, out of all of us he is the only one who has kept up with Tim.

Nick154.jpg

I know a lot of you will have already seen this photo of Tim before but it's brilliant.

Nick155.jpg

Nick156.jpg

Wayne, Dave, Gary and Tony went to ride through the palmery

Nick157.jpg

Nick159.jpg

You are never for away from some great scenery.

Nick160.jpg

Nick160.jpg

As Bill and l were still waiting for the bike to be finished it seemed a good time to go of and eat followed by a bit of tourist shopping.

When we got back the bike was finished. How he completed the work with only one set l don't know, but 6 months on and they are still not leaking.

For those of you who have a 950 or 990 Adventure, the general feeling was that l hadn't vented the forks often enough, allowing the pressure to build up and blowing the seals. So l have now fitted small valves in place of the venting screw on top of the forks which are a lot quicker to use by just pushing the rubber bulb on top.
But the advice l am now receiving is that dust and grit had got past the dust seal damaging the oil seal's. The only way to stop this is by fitting neoprene socks which cover the exposed dust seal housing and part of the fork slider therefore stopping the dust and grit more effectively so l am told.

Back
Top Bottom