irish money

Not legal tender in UK, same as Scotlandshire notes.
Accepted at banks.
Bad luck!

Didnt realise there were so many thick Tossers out there.
STIRLING is legal tender everywhere in the UK.
End of story.
STIRLING is the monetary unit of the UK irrespective of where the notes are
printed.

End of story.
printed.

OI JPR.
When in a hole stop digging :augie
It's sterling on the money..
I know that being from Walsall you haven't seen many banknotes, but they're right, its STERLING on the money :):rob

End of story.
printed.

I think you'll find that you are wrong there. This has been debated and discussed many times here (North of Ireland). The words sterling don't mean anything across the water and the shops don't have to accept it.

You can call me a Tosser that's fine, but you don't know me well enough to call me thick :mad:

On a sensible note, all North Ireland issued bank notes, and Scottish ones are legal tender anywhere in the UK.

I find its really good to fill up with petrol and go in to pay with NI or Scots bank notes (especially the £1 ones) and wait for them to refuse to accept them, then walk out, and watch the staff getting all irate, well I have offered to pay with legal tender and they have refused it !!, I don't have to offer something else so they either take it of leave it, they always take it at the end of the day and its great if you want a bit of a argument with a jobs worth :)

I think you'll find that you are wrong there. This has been debated and discussed many times here (North of Ireland). The words sterling don't mean anything across the water and the shops don't have to accept it.

You can call me a Tosser that's fine, but you don't know me well enough to call me thick :mad:

Bloke can't even spell Sterling Mand' :D

I have £90 worth of NORTHEN BANK Sterling can I still use it in the south or just the North ?

Not sure how you spell this but here goes.

Mmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

(You know its that noise you make by sticking out your chin, putting your tongue behind your bottom lip and sounding like a plum....)

I believe banknotes issued by the Bank of england are the only legal tender in the UK & NI. Other banknotes may or may not be accepted when tendered.
Sterling is the currency name, that is all.
thank you.
bin (not that thick).

Scotland and Northern Ireland

link

Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are unusual, firstly because they are issued by retail banks, not central banks, and secondly, as they are not legal tender anywhere in the UK – not even in Scotland or Northern Ireland – they are in fact promissory notes. Indeed, no banknotes (even Bank of England notes) are now legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland.[28][14]

Seven retail banks have the authority of Parliament to issue sterling banknotes as currency.[29] Despite this, the notes are sometimes refused in England and Wales, and are not always accepted by banks and exchange bureaus outside of the United Kingdom. This is particularly true in the case of the Royal Bank of Scotland £1 note, which is the only £1 note to remain in circulation within the UK.[30]

In 2000, the European Central Bank indicated that, should the United Kingdom join the euro, Scottish banks (and, by extension, Northern Ireland banks) would have to cease banknote issue.[31] During the Financial crisis of 2007–2008, the future of private banknotes in the United Kingdom was uncertain. It has been suggested that the Banking Act 2009[32] would restrict the issue of banknotes by commercial banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland by removing many of the provisions of the Acts quoted above.[33] Banks would be forced to lodge sterling funds with the Bank of England to cover private note issue for a full week, rather than over a weekend, thereby losing four days' interest and making banknote production financially unviable. Following negotiations among the UK Treasury, the Bank of England and the Scottish banks, it was agreed that the funds would earn interest, allowing them to continue to issue their own notes.[34]

OI JPR.
When in a hole stop digging :augie
It's sterling on the money..
I know that being from Walsall you haven't seen many banknotes, but they're right, its STERLING on the money :):rob

How ya doing Proff
Had a right hangover since yesterday morning
Nothing gone right today
Cant focus Kant spel Feck it
Have another drink or go to bed?.
jpr

Try paying with one of these in Devon :rolleyes:
Bloody Carrot Crunchers..

Attachments

• £100 note.jpg
    £100 note.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 224
I believe banknotes issued by the Bank of England are the only legal tender in the UK & NI. Other banknotes may or may not be accepted when tendered.
Sterling is the currency name, that is all.
thank you.
bin (not that thick).

Sorry you are quite correct they are not legal tender however they are legal to be tendered in payment, there is a difference but I cant be bothered to go into to it, however they can be spent in any part of the UK.
Oh and whilst your at it Debit cards, Credit cards and cheques are also not legal tender.
No British bank note, including those issued by the Bank of England, are currently legal tender throughout the UK. Bank of England notes are legal tender, but only in England and Wales, not Scotland or Northern Ireland, and 1p pieces and 2p pieces are legal tender in amounts only up to 20 pence.
Strictly speaking the only LEGAL tender in the WHOLE of the UK is 1,2 and 5 coins.

By legal tender the person to whom being tendered cannot refuse to accept, however I believe that they can only refuse the transaction ie not actually sell you something, once the transaction is complete ie in the case of filling a tank with fuel or having eaten a meal, I don't believe that they can refuse them when offered in payment, obviously they can but if they then tried to sue in court for non payment they would lose as payment legal to be tendered had been offered and refused.

End of story.
printed.

Maybe so, but does n`t mean shop keeper have to except it, or you :rolleyes:

If the note says "i promise to pay the bearer on demand the sum of xxx pounds STIRLING"
then the note is legit in uk, take it to the bank, should be ok.

Where do CD cases fit into all this? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom