Why you should always stop for a stranded fellow biker...

brassmonkey001

I should change this
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
There I was heading for home along the A50 when I espied what at first glance appeared to be a R100GS PD stopped on the opposite carraigeway. Now my first thought was to see if I could assist in any way then I thought 'Well, I'm heading in the opposite direction, I have almost no tools and nothing in the way of spares except a few fuses and electrical connectors, and I'm in quite a hurry to get home. There's not a lot I can do to help, someone else going the same way will stop and help out I expect.'
But then I thought 'They might only be in need of a fuse or connector or maybe a drop of fuel to get them to the next garage. And it might be a fellow Tosser so I really should make the extra effort to help.'

So I went up to the next roundabout a few miles up the road and turned back to see if I could help.
By the time I had arrived a recovery van had arrived and was loading the bike onto a trailer. It turns out they had been there for three hours and only one other bike had stopped although plenty had gone past. It wasn't a BMW either but a Moto Guzzi but the looks are quite similar at a glance.
As it transpired they had a inner tube failure with no obvious sign of a puncture so there was little I could do except get the camera out.

DSC00361.jpg

So I could do nothing to help out but it was well worth stopping anyway as it turned out to be a superb opportunity for some gentle ribbing.

DSC00360.jpg

Over to you. :D

:)Well done as you say if you dont stop you never know if you can help . Someone did for me recently in wales couldnt help but supplied a cuppa and a chat while waiting for recovery

Oh dear, poor old Tarquin. :blast

PS is it just the angle , or is he no longer a mullet-headed-twat??

He looks like a much more normal twat there.....which would be a shame!! :D

what a result

proper ying and yang

In Germany last week one of the guys on our trip bought me a coffee as I didnt have change for the machine.

About an hour later I was repairing his puncture

:thumb

A short story about Bob and the Bushman.

Well done that man:thumb2, have stopped many times myself for fellow riders and also had others stop for me in times of need. Came home the other night and found this in my garage...

262.jpg

a BSA Bushman. My friend Chris, who is also my ex brother inlaw and nephew Kester ( both keen bikers) had come across Bob and his Bushman broken down at the side of the road, Kester pushed Bobs bike back to my place then they took Bob 17 miles home to Bude in their car. Bob came and picked the bike up in his 4x4 the next day and told me many stories of his travels in Oz.
268.jpg

Bob was very grateful and I was glad to have helped in a small way. Well done Chis and Kester:clap:clap.

Oh dear, poor old Tarquin. :blast

PS is it just the angle , or is he no longer a mullet-headed-twat??

He looks like a much more normal twat there.....which would be a shame!! :D

He lost the mullet quite a while back, now he sports a mohawk cut.
As I pulled up and clocked the hair I thought "Surely not?" and lo, it surely was. :D

You never know what you can do to help, so stop if you can! :)

It was a hot afternoon, a Friday in July two year ago, I was riding my old sidecar:
A car had stopped buy the road, and the driver and the passenger was waving to me with an empty bottle of Coke. I had no idea want they wanted, but I stopped.
They screamed; ''-do you have water?''
The engine was hot and dry, so just normal drinking water would help so they could drive to a petrol station.
I had a lot of water! I always have in hot weather, specially when I'm on my way to find a suitable place to put up my tent and make me a cup of tea.
And they was sooo happy!
It was nice to help! :comfort:clap

August same summer; me, my sidecar and my tent - again.
I saw a Harley Davidson was laying in the grass in a driveway, and the rider was looking at it - he seemed to have a problem but he did not try to stop me.
I stopped, and he told me his friends are coming back soon - no need to use my tools.
Well, his friends arrived, but they did not have a 16'' spanner.
I asked if he still do not need anything in my tool box?
I dug deep down in my sidecar and gave him my 16'' and an adjustable type, they worked on the rear wheel for a while, (the nuts and screws was loose) - and soon I was riding my sidecar again and felt I have done something nice for a biker! :thumb2

Next time I it could be me who need some help... :comfort

:) Liv.

Poor chap! All these years I'd thought the 'what oil' question was just gentle ribbing too, but I think we should all stop it now.

Clearly it's upset the poor mite more than we'd imagined. He's gone from "RTFM" :rtfm to "RMFT"*

I think we went too far - sorry Tarks :eek: :(

*"Read My (Fluffy Bunny) T-shirt

Perhaps we should start a thread "Which inner tube should I use?":augie:D

You can hear it now "i'm not being rescued by you, you dayglo wearing twat!":augie

Dear oh lord what pish poor planning and preventative maintenance - bet that was the inner tube that's been sitting in that bike while it rotted in the breakers before Tarks bought it 3 year ago :augie

And all those bikes that rode past... reckon they clocked who it was and rode on :D

Dear oh lord what pish poor planning and preventative maintenance - bet that was the inner tube that's been sitting in that bike while it rotted in the breakers before Tarks bought it 3 year ago :augie

And all those bikes that rode past... reckon they clocked who it was and rode on :D

Actually, no. It was the newest part on the bike apparently. :blast

Back
Top Bottom