Common faults/improvement on Airhead GS's

R100RS 1978

Only had the bike for 6 months

50k miles

Gear box rebuilt with new bearings - water must have gotten in at some point.
Replaced exhaust valves
Piston Rings
New Clutch
High Voltage Regulator - Never had any problems starting even on short runs
Replaced a lot of seal around the bike as some were leaking and brittle
Speedo stopped working but repaired it myself

Lighter throttle springs

Hi

I have had lighter throttle springs fitted for some time. They are available from http://www.canbeseen.com/10

BingCarb1.jpg

Steve

Starter motor failed

Valeo starter motor jambed at 14000. Dropped its brushes which are glued! Had to be rescued out in the welsh hills beyond mobile connection. Very cross making. Replaced with the nippon denso item from Motorworks. Seems excellent and fits perfectly unlike a new valeo which I also tried. I wouldn't have one as a gift! Only lack of cash can explain why anyone replaces the nasty Valeo. Feeling much better thank you. This is good evidence for the poor quality of some BMW bike ideas like the poor lubrication of the early paralever. The service manual shows a suspicious molding for a grease point in the casting over the rear universal joint.

Mate i think you should get another one.

Despite what people say, theses bike are not super reliable, but I enjoyed mine whilst i owned it.

1995 GS PD Classic
15,000 Km Speedo
60,000 KM Output shaft bearing & rear seal Gear Box
65,000 Km Rear Shock & fork springs
70,000 charging rotar
70,000 Head gaskets
70,000 Carb rebuilt & Fuel Tap rebuild
70,000 Para Lever bearings
75,000 DRive shaft Rebuilt $A 250
80,000km Replace Heated grips
100,000 Rechrome forks (worn out)
110,000 Outshaft shaft bearing gear box
120,000 Head & Base gaskets Gasket
Plus lots of general wear items head stock bearings, wheel bearings fork seals

124,000 KM sold big mistake I miss it lots

Mate just get another one - they will become more and more rare. I have 3 and perhaps will sell one shortly. Cya

IMG_3518.jpg

The power take-off on my R100GS-PD is partially obscured by the side panel so that the panel has to be removed when connecting to the battery charger. I've now bent the end of the small bracket through 180degrees, which moves the socket to the right, so it now works properly.

The standard position for the power take off is on the bottom of the battery tray near the kickstart lever. I guess somebody moved yours.

Rob

That's interesting. I have no kickstart but it should be on the nearside? Well by altering the bracket as mentioned, the flip-up top is no longer obstructed.:thumb2

That's interesting Rob as I'd searched high and low to find a picture showing the position of the socket outlet, both in Haynes and on here, and failed to find one. Still I'll pretend I 'prefer' it on the offside. The bracket surprisingly stood up to being bent 180degrees as I'd expected it to fail.:thumb2

The power take-off on my R100GS-PD is partially obscured by the side panel.

The socket on my 1989 R100GS (bumblebee) is in the same position as Paul's, its close to the side panel but isn't obscured.

I always thought that was the factory position . . Interesting :nenau.

Bob.

Same

on my 89 R80 - although it is shagged and i dont use it - wired a new one up to the bars with an in-line fuse.

PD and the bumble bee are opposite side and as suggested are just below battery tray

The battery tray mounted aux socket was in the same position right through from the 81 g/s. I'm not sure but the power point may have been an optional extra when new. I suppose if you ordered it they may have fitted a battery tray with the bracket attached. I've yet to have an Airhead GS without one.

Attachments

• Battery Tray.JPG
    Battery Tray.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,383
My 81 G/S doesn't have one or any sign of the bracket - it's a much smaller battery tray than the paralever one ^ and it sits right down close to the SA and tight to the airfilter so I'm not sure where it could go.

Gearbox output bearing failed around 10,000 km or less (estimated) on my 1982 G/S, rebuilt for the previous owner at great cost by one of the more arrogant outfits here in Paris. I haven't stripped it yet as I had a new 'box on the shelf rebuilt c/w useless but pretty kick-starter by someone who actually knows what he is doing. I bet the failed box either lacked the circlip conversion or wasn't assembled properly. But it was quite sudden: a funny noise coming up from central France, followed by a very unfunny noise, followed by leaving it in a farmer's yard for collection and getting on a train. On the bench, it is clear that the bearing is toast, with bits, presumably of ball cage, in the box itself. A job for the autumn...

PK

Back
Top Bottom