Common faults/improvement on Airhead GS's

OK...a recent posting about replacing exhaust valves at a certain mileage/age got me thinking about putting up this post as a sticky so we ( and future ) owners can refer to it when applicable. We read lots (mostly American - and OTT in many cases) about the common problems on these bikes but in this forum have a large amount of the UK airhead/GS owners, so lets pool our knowledge collectively :)

So, for example, could forum members ( and no theories/web links please, just facts that have happened to you ) who have actually had paralever shafts fail...where did you get the repair/cost/mileage/who etc etc

Same for valves or head re-builds; diode boards; gearboxes; alternator/rotors; wiring harnesses etc etc..you get the drift:thumb2

I put this up as I've never had a gearbox fail or even a rotor, yet many have !!

This will be an excellant record of UK gs's for members new and old to refer to in the future:thumb2

My rear shock recently sprung a leak - this was a replacement Hagon...it did four years of daily riding with heavy deliveries. Have got a new Hagon and it's functioning perfectly well (despite dire warnings on here to the contrary).
Hub end mount for the Hagon stripped its threads - replaced with a s/hand stud - no worries.
The heated grips gave up - due to corroded connectors beneath the tank and a corroded and antiquated handlebar switch. Rubbed em down with an emery board - they're fine again now.
Fork brace Allen bolts fused into the aluminium forks.. drilled 'em out and replaced with nuts and bolts.
General corrosion all round, but the old tank was left outside every night...so no surprise.
Petrol tank starting to wear near the seat and loads of red crap coming out of the insides.

Lost the screw?

I've never seen the accessory socket on a G/S.... we had nothing to plug in back then!

My hot tip for the day.....

When balancing the carbs and you have to remove the pesky little screw underneath the carbs.... slide a short piece of petrol pipe over the screw and leave it in place.

You will still be able to get access to the screw and after cracking the screw easily undo it by hand, once undone you can leave the screw in the pipe and you'll never lose it again!

Glynn

My previous R100GS - Little Gringo

Drive shaft started failing at 46k miles, replaced with new at some dodgy garage in Neasden before I knew better. Cost -- think was around £380 :eek:

Gearbox output shaft seal started leaking at 50k odd miles, stripped the gearbox in a basement and did the repairs myself - £170

Some info from way back then :augie

Front fork seals replaced also around 50k miles - cost was minimal but couple of hours work.

Rear bevel drive seal went also between 50k and 55k miles, had that replaced by Bracken at £70 me supplying the spares and bevel drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current R100GS standing in my garage

43000 miles - shaft failure - £280 from motoworks for reconditioned unit.

43500 miles - Right hand side front cam follower started cracking - they are £25 each and worth while replacing all four while you at it :mmmm

43 700 miles - gear lever tore off hanging on a small piece of metal. Think it was just a bad welding and now sorted properly by "The Chad" :D

My wife now owns this piece of shite bought from Maverick 2009 ish, 2012 hardley recognisable!Little Gringo my arse, more like Bloody Big Dingo!

Attachments

• DSCF9035.jpg
    DSCF9035.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,414
Gear lever return spring broke - apparently this happens a lot - had to buy a flange puller to get the gearbox all apart... easy fix after that. About 56,000

Crank went at 75K. Frequent oil changes and an easy life, good job my brother was riding it at the time, been able to blame him for the last 20yrs!

Earth strap battery disconnect a simple mod that has saved me untold flat battery problems where the battery earth strap attaches to the gearbox I have fitted a little bracket with a bolt and wing nut so I can disconnect the battery I don't ride the bike as often these days with the earth strap disconnect the battery stays good for months before the mod if I forgot to put a charger on once a month the battery went flat and if left a little longer became unrecoverable

About the little nuts and washers that locate the rocker covers which are a bastard to fit if you, like me, have big old arthritiky fingers. My technique is to stick the washer on to the nut, then stick the nut on to the end of a hacksaw blade with grease. Then you can hold the washer and nut flat on the end of the stud and start it off by twiddling it with a pick or thin screwdriver. Saves a lot of cursing!

Replaced headlamp relay

Relay was playing up. Thought it was the key/switch at first... headlamp occasionally stayed on. Battery draining even after I'd turned off the switch and checked the headlamp was off. Have replaced the headlamp relay now and touch wood all is cured...

Valeo woes and charging

Thought I'd blow some dust off this thread.

Had the Valeo magnets fall off a replacement (2004) motor off my 1991 R100GS a couple of weeks ago. Pain as it happened in Wales, camping. Also the bike was not charging (a new VR sorted that).

A previous R100GS I had wouldn't start - turned out the connector that dangles below the main loom under the tank had got damp/corroded and needed a good clean.

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 302
Had the Valeo magnets fall off a replacement (2004)

I had mine "fixed" by a guy in Germany. He drilled and bolted the magnets in place.
Don't ask me how he did it I was busy doing something else :blast

Attachments

• valeo.jpg
    valeo.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 283
^ This is now fitted to one of my airheads and still working fine. The other airhead has a Bosch starter which cranks very slowly (needs a service) but the bike stills starts easily.

Back
Top Bottom