Twinshock Trials Bike - Collective views?

MRR = Malcolm Rathmell Replica (for the uninitiated) - still heavily involvd in Trials as the Sherco importer and he still lives on a farm, where he was born & bred in Yorkshire, near Harrogate

Here's Malcolm Rathmell in all his glory...............he's affectionately known in Trials circles as 'Rastus'

Just found this about him, some achievement!

Malcolm Rathmell (trials)
Joined Montesa in 1975 to develop the Cota 348. Won the Brtish Solo Championship in 75, 76, 79 and 81 on Montesa's. Won the Scottish Six Days in 1979. Was in the top ten, 75, 76, 77, 79 and 80 on a Cota. The Cota 348 he developed, is one of the most popular and sought after models produced. :)

My youngest son Martyn at Steetly quarry some 25 years ago :eek:

To this day he wishes he still had that 'bike :thumb
:beerjug:

PS ... He doesn't get his off road skills from me!

Attachments

• Martyn at Steetly c1985.jpg
    Martyn at Steetly c1985.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 414
Unfortunately the weather was that sh*te this afternoon that neither Tim's nor my camera came out with any decent pictures. The steady drizzle didn't bother us too much though, we were having too much fun with a 30 year old bike!
In the flesh it really is a pretty little bike, just like the ones I lusted after in my youth before the dark side took over (motocross :D)
Tim wheeled it out of the van, and it fired up first kick. The suspension needs a little work we think, the back end is stiff, and the front was solid! :eek
The engine is very sweet, and has the lazy old school style power. Slow revving but with loads of torque. The ergos were a bit strange at first, and the controls are so much different to more modern bikes, but we still managed to spend nearly 3 hours playing about.

1114350771_8t6MN-M.jpg

1114351766_zTmR8-M.jpg

1114352938_rTmMA-M.jpg

1114353965_svjmC-M.jpg

Mark

Ha! I've read that a common beginners mistake is to drop the inside shoulder which causes the bike to fall into the turn....and that's what I'm doing in the photos:blast

Ha! I've read that a common beginners mistake is to drop the inside shoulder which causes the bike to fall into the turn....and that's what I'm doing in the photos:blast

It is:D

You really need a flat cap:blast the enduro lid will hamper your progress and with the correct gearing, you should be able to leave that clutch lever alone on a Twinshock:augie

What did you think to Mark's Beta Rev3?

It is:D

You really need a flat cap:blast the enduro lid will hamper your progress and with the correct gearing, you should be able to leave that clutch lever alone on a Twinshock:augie

What did you think to Mark's Beta Rev3?

Yes, need a cap
Mark says the gearing is ok and I was keeping off the clutch more later in the day.....but only after falling off several times, getting my hand wedged in the railings and impaling myself on some branches:augie

Mark's bike was lovely to ride, great front suspension, mine was washing out so needs sorting, the Beta has pokey engine, brakes that work etc etc:D

Youll have to get to the classic dirt bike show at Telford in February, loads of suppliers there regarding rear shocks and forks, IN MOTION BULTACO do a lot of stuff for montesas as well as Bultos, they do have an on line shop. It can be found on E bay if you look for Bultaco bits.:thumb2

Ime doing up a Ossa 250 MAR, and have a set of Rock SHOX on the rear which seem good and adjustable.

Youll have to get to the classic dirt bike show at Telford in February, loads of suppliers there regarding rear shocks and forks, IN MOTION BULTACO do a lot of stuff for montesas as well as Bultos, they do have an on line shop. It can be found on E bay if you look for Bultaco bits.:thumb2

Yes, Johnny told me about the show so will go. I've seen the In Motion site and shall probably give them a call on Monday:thumb

Let's see some pics of your Ossa:)

Ill take some tommorow along with my 1964 Tiger cub trials and 1954 Francis Barnett Trials:thumb

Ange, me and Jake went to watch a trial today which Earthmover had entered.
1115347438_66BRe-XL.jpg

There were several twin shocks there.
1115333727_z6W9X-XL.jpg

One for JB, a tiny Yamaha Majesty.
1115318743_9tKYN-XL.jpg

I met an old boy there with a Montesa 349, a newer model than my 348. Gave me loads of info and all very friendly so here's a couple of photos of him.
1115352544_n76sX-XL.jpg

1115326227_Pyin4-XL.jpg

He then insisted I have a play on his bike to see how the suspension 'should' feel so with ATGATT in mind.....:D
1115313598_GzU47-XL.jpg

A very useful ride and now have a good idea of how to set mine up:thumb
1115303150_3C5cC-XL.jpg

Ange, me and Jake went to watch a trial today which Earthmover had entered.
1115347438_66BRe-XL.jpg

There were several twin shocks there.
1115333727_z6W9X-XL.jpg

One for JB, a tiny Yamaha Majesty.
1115318743_9tKYN-XL.jpg

I met an old boy there with a Montesa 349, a newer model than my 348. Gave me loads of info and all very friendly so here's a couple of photos of him.
1115352544_n76sX-XL.jpg

1115326227_Pyin4-XL.jpg

He then insisted I have a play on his bike to see how the suspension 'should' feel so with ATGATT in mind.....:D
1115313598_GzU47-XL.jpg

A very useful ride and now have a good idea of how to set mine up:thumb
1115303150_3C5cC-XL.jpg

Brill:thumb

You look more at home in that gear, than yesterday:bounce1

Did you enjoy it:nenau

Tiny Majesty Yam:rolleyes:......................it's a 250cc at least or maybe 320/340cc

I'll put some photos from the trial of Earthmover in this twin shock thread. Mark had been having a great trial but the only photos I have are from later in the day when things got very slippy:D
1115345143_V48XT-XL.jpg

3:blast
1115336131_pk5G5-XL.jpg

:clap
1115340636_3cAjB-XL.jpg

These flippin youngsters:mad::D
1115331374_3HHGP-XL.jpg

Fair do's, if I had a flat cap I'd take it off to him:clap
1115328812_twFAm-XL.jpg

Brill:thumb

You look more at home in that gear, than yesterday:bounce1

Did you enjoy it:nenau

Tiny Majesty Yam:rolleyes:......................it's a 250cc at least or maybe 320/340cc

Yes it was great fun, it's been years since I last went to a trial.

Very laid back and friendly, the rider's pre ride brief in it's entirety was "I've set the course fairly easy now go and have a good time" spot on:thumb

The Yam looked tiny, perhaps it was just the big geezer on it;)

the only photos I have are from later in the day when things got very slippy:D

To be fair, that section in the first pic took 3 marks off me each lap, but the second I'd cleaned twice before your camera appeared.
The third pic kinda sums up the day though, good to see you and Ange there. Look forward to the Mont's debut. :augie
Mark

Last edited:
I love it! But then I would love it, this was my first bike:

ty80.jpg

i had a old ty 250 i learn to ride on to and got a side stand made up for the bike and use to take it along the hill road near my house and frashed :D it till i sold it and got a motor cross bike

Right then some pictures of my Ossa and Tiger Cub!!!!!!!!, sorry they are a bit late but ive had trouble trying to upload.

First off then my 1974 Ossa 250 MAR,(Mick Andrews Replica).

First two before (as purchased in January 2010)
Second two show the bike part way through restoration

Attachments

• DSCN0315res.jpg
    DSCN0315res.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN0316res.jpg
    DSCN0316res.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCN1437res.jpg
    DSCN1437res.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCN1438res.jpg
    DSCN1438res.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 447
And now my 1964 Triumph Tiger Cub trials which i have owned for several years and has been an ongoing restoration and ride:thumb

Attachments

• DSCN0319res.jpg
    DSCN0319res.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN0321res.jpg
    DSCN0321res.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 486
And finally my 1954 Francis Barnett Trials, fitted with a 197 villiers 7E engine, started off as a road bike which i have been converting into a trials.

Attachments

• DSCN1441res.jpg
    DSCN1441res.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 539
Nice bikes Ferret, a Francis Barnett 197 was the first bike I rode as a kid around the fields but it was in road trim:)

Nice bikes Ferret, a Francis Barnett 197 was the first bike I rode as a kid around the fields but it was in road trim:)

I had one a1955 Falcon with the Villiers 8E (4 gears) had Alloy guards and semi-knobblies may even have been a Trials version . . but it was a very long time ago!

Back
Top Bottom