safety problem with 1150

In fact cut all the cable ties that hold electrical wiring, they'll all eventually fail if left to flex at a single point.

One of the first things I did when I got my 1100 home after reading about it on here. You could see the acute angle the ignition switch loom was being forced to bend around. Hopefully it's bought me a little extra 'loom time'.

Hi Steptoe
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick 
The only reason I have sent email to BMW Is so they are aware that there is a problem and it my be worth them checking the loom when bikes come in for service. I would rather spend £24.00 on a new loom than having to spend £200:00 to replace the parts I have damaged plus almost getting run over by a truck in Spain

Hi Steptoe
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick 
The only reason I have sent email to BMW Is so they are aware that there is a problem and it my be worth them checking the loom when bikes come in for service. I would rather spend £24.00 on a new loom than having to spend £200:00 to replace the parts I have damaged plus almost getting run over by a truck in Spain

I would think/hope that the bmw mechanics who see and work on the bikes everyday would know already, plus bmw must know how many looms they sell and notice a pattern. But perhaps not.
Plus every bike ( and some cars) in the world will eventually suffer the same fate :nenau

More life threatening is [URL="http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93315"]THIS[/URL], but again, it's not BMW specific, it's the same for every vehicle using flexable brake hose. It's plain common sense. :D

all fixed now, easy job and a big thanks to Steptoe for the PM and tips on fitting... whole job start to finish 15 mins....... and that included the Tea and general faffing about....

:beerjug:

Right then, had the bike out yesterday (for the first time in over 30 days!!) and also took a couple of pics. I hope these look OK - it's the cable ties and also a pic of my brake lines. The cable ties look OK, can't see any cutting/fraying.

But the brake lines have me flummoxed - they feel like braided ones, but don't have the 'spiral' effect. So I'm not sure if the bike has been 'fixed' or not.

Any advice appreciated.

005-1.jpg

004-5.jpg

. . The cable ties look OK, can't see any cutting/fraying.

You won't see any, until they fail.

It's the cable ties holding the wire in a fixed position that causes the failure, as the wire can only flex at the same point every time. Which over a period of time leads to failure of the copper wiring inside the casing.

Cut off the cable ties and leave the wire loose, so the loom moves/flexes over it's entire length .

You won't see any, until they fail.

It's the cable ties holding the wire in a fixed position that causes the failure, as the wire can only flex at the same point every time. Which over a period of time leads to failure of the copper wiring inside the casing.

Cut off the cable ties and leave the wire loose, so the loom moves/flexes over it's entire length .

OK, will do.

Stay tuned :D

Ignition switch wiring loom

If you have a 1150 gs I strongly suggest you check your ignition switch wiring loom where it is cabled tied to the bike frame braking . On a recent trip to Spine two of the wires broke with the result of the bike cutting out and me failing of my bike :(.
If anyone has had this problem can you let me know rmh1710@hotmail.com
Regards Bob H

Yes had same problem with my R1150 GS after about 45000 miles. As already posted, cable tie too tight.
Regards
Bernie
www.stahlkoffer.com

The previous owner of my 1150gs cut some of the cable ties around the headstock, which allowed the cable from the right side handlebar switch unit to chafe against the underside of the fuel tank every time the bars moved, leading to a short circuit and complete wiring loom burn out. I know that the cable to the ignition switch won't shift the same amount as those on the handle bars, but, having experienced the cost and agro caused by the burn out, personally, I would proceed with extreme caution!!

Had the tank up today, which in itself is something of an achievement :D

The wires that looked OK from the front looked markedly different once I shone a light under the tank; cracked, brittle, and with some wiring showing through. Degradationf from the engine heat?

I'll be asking RGM to take a proper look tomorrow.

021-2.jpg

The wires that looked OK from the front looked markedly different once I shone a light under the tank; cracked, brittle, and with some wiring showing through. Degradationf from the engine heat?

That's only the outer sheath that's damaged - I wuoldn't worry about it as long as the insulation on the individual wires inside is undamaged.

Ignition failure

If you have a 1150 gs I strongly suggest you check your ignition switch wiring loom where it is cabled tied to the bike frame braking . On a recent trip to Spine two of the wires broke with the result of the bike cutting out and me failing of my bike :(.
If anyone has had this problem can you let me know rmh1710@hotmail.com
Regards Bob H

Yes I too suffered the same problem on the way to a GS rally in Wales last year. Ruined the whole weekend.
Bernie
(www.stahlkoffer.com)

same problem here to. started bike up, just to see if she would run and lights on dash went out, bike cut out. restarted no problem, moved handlebars cut out. red wire under ignition switch hanging on by one strand of copper wire. same again here to many ties on loom. resoldered wire problem solved:thumb

same problem here to. started bike up, just to see if she would run and lights on dash went out, bike cut out. restarted no problem, moved handlebars cut out. red wire under ignition switch hanging on by one strand of copper wire. same again here to many ties on loom. resoldered wire problem solved:thumb

what year ?

Back
Top Bottom