safety problem with 1150

bigbob

If you have a 1150 gs I strongly suggest you check your ignition switch wiring loom where it is cabled tied to the bike frame braking . On a recent trip to Spine two of the wires broke with the result of the bike cutting out and me failing of my bike :(.
If anyone has had this problem can you let me know rmh1710@hotmail.com
Regards Bob H

That has been known on this site for quite a while, various members have been caught out by it. Worse case is when it is intermittent.

I cut the tys a few years back to avoid this becoming a problem in the future, it was Steptoe (Gs Guru) who drew my attention to it on this site.

Still good to see it being mentioned agian, so that others can take remedial action now.:thumb2

It is a pretty well documented failure after a fairly high mileage Bob, some bikes left the factory with the wiring over zealously zip tied in the headstock area.
BMW sell a repair kit for the ignition loom.
Stewart

BMW sell a repair kit for the ignition loom.
Stewart

got a linky or part number by any chance ? (preferably for 1100 rather than 1150 :D ) - Got a problem on mine in that the brake light now comes on when I turn side or head lights on - Steptoe thought at the Worcester mobile workshop thang that overzealous cable tieing around the lower ignition loom may be a contributor.

Looks like I'm off to the garage with a pair of sidecutters this afternoon to have a peek. Many thanks for posting this - it's potentially very helpful indeed.

Kind regards,
Fin.

Me too....just thought I'd say. Have been a subscriver for just 5 weeks...best £12 I have ever spent.

So: cut all cable ties from the wires/headstock?

Just so I'm clear before I get the blade out..

so... i think i will cut the cable tie..... it's very tight.... bugger...... i now have an intermittent fail on the ignition switch.... it was the cable tie that was holding it together!..... still i guess its better to fail in a controlled environment.. (the garage)....

so is this little wire an easy fit? or a job for the experts...

so... i think i will cut the cable tie..... it's very tight.... bugger...... i now have an intermittent fail on the ignition switch.... it was the cable tie that was holding it together!..... still i guess its better to fail in a controlled environment.. (the garage)....

so is this little wire an easy fit? or a job for the experts...

Please tell me you're joking or I'll have a panic attack..

just ordered the ignition loom from Motorworks.... £48.00 delivered.

Any hints and tips ref fitting gratefully recieved..

Cheers

Please tell me you're joking or I'll have a panic attack..

Sorry no, not joking..... it has been working fine..... until an hour ago... cutting the cable tie has allowed the wire to move and the movement causes the ignition to cut out.... just ordered the replacement from Motorworks.. still it was broken and i guess could have gone at any time...

just ordered the ignition loom from Motorworks.... £48.00 delivered.

Any hints and tips ref fitting gratefully recieved..

Cheers

PM sent, plus don't always assume that some independent suppliers are cheaper than a genuine BMW dealer . :augie

thanks steptoe, replied to your PM.... now i am going to have phone the parts department at Bahnstormers to see how much cheaper......:blast

Again, thanks for your help!

Hi Lads thanks for the replies’ I just need to find out it was a one off problem as I have sent a email to GBCustomerSupport@bmwfin.com and they have told me they dont know of any problems’ will let them know they have a problem and see what they plan to do as this is potentially dangerous fault.

Hi Lads thanks for the replies’ I just need to find out it was a one off problem as I have sent a email to GBCustomerSupport@bmwfin.com and they have told me they dont know of any problems’ will let them know they have a problem and see what they plan to do as this is potentially dangerous fault.

Bigbob, you've missed the point. It's all down to physics, not bmw.

Bend a piece of wire enough times over a period of time and it breaks.

What do you suggest BMW uses as replacement for wire ?

While your on a mission firing off emails to all and sundry and causing much amusement in the BMW corporation, can you inform them that my tyres wear out, and it's dangerous, and what do they intend to do about this potentially dangerous fault.

Are you related to Motorbaker ??

Back
Top Bottom