Just back from Dakar

AberdeenAngus

Reaction score
Flew back home last night from Dakar having ridden down through Morocco, Mauritania & Senegal.
Absolutely no problem with Mauritania. The locals were helpfull in the extreme and there is a strong police presence on the roads.

Word has it that the problems are down to local bandits rather than terrorists and that Brits are the least attractive proposition as the world knows that the British government will not pay ransom.

There were a LOT of French people travelling in Mauritiania and they have had no sniff of a problem either.

Can confirm that it is absolutely impossible to get a visa at the border with Mauritania. We alreadys had them but asked the police chief out of interest.

Of all the countries we travelled through, Mauritania felt the safest.

Appologies to Roger, if you are reading this. I tried to send you updates by text but my phone crapped out on me !

If there were to be anyone on the road approaching Mauritiania and wondering whether to travel through - I would say go for it - you will not be dissapointed.

p.s. evening traffic on the outskirts of Dakar is a fekking nightmare

If anyone wants more, specific info, just PM me.

Pm'd the guys your message so at least one will see it :beerjug:

AA where did you pick your visa up from? :)

We had got ours previously from Paris but we met people on the road that had got theirs in Rabbat. They said you could get them in one day. Drop the forms in the morning & pick up visa in afternoon.

Hope you took some piccy's and will do a ride report,

Looking forward to it :)

We had got ours previously from Paris but we met people on the road that had got theirs in Rabbat. They said you could get them in one day. Drop the forms in the morning & pick up visa in afternoon.

Thanks for this, much appreciated. Might save us some time and money.:)

That´s if we were going to Mori which of course officially we aren´t if you know what I mean:D

We tried Madrid but they will only issue to Spanish Nationals. Paris was the next choice. This was done by the group organiser who lives in Spain.
I would suggest that first option should be the Mauritanian embassy in your home country.

Note that these applications were done by post, took ages and involved jumping through several hoops.

So, if you have plenty of time - go through the Embassy. If you are setting off soon, get them in Rabbat.

Back
Top Bottom