E-mail from Heather thought I'd share

Deleted acc oony

THE HEROES ARRIVE!

On the 31st January after some 4,700 kilometres our heroic motor-bikers arrived. The day had started in great excitement, they had phoned ahead to tell us that they were on the Senegalese border. The news spread like wildfire and the "bush telegraph" which is now helped by mobile phones(!) worked its wonders. For the last 27 kilometres of their journey the bikers were given the warmest of Gambian welcomes and by the time they reached Horse and Donkey in the dark and completely exhausted, I think they had realised just how important this road was to the people of our area!

Many toasts were drunk to absent friends, sadly not everyone who had fundraised was able to make the trip, some were physically unable to make it due to the inclement weather conditions when they left, for others, the economic recession had bitten too hard and though they had bravely managed to raise money for the building of the road, they didn't have enough to pay their own way on the trip. This reflects the incredible spirit of selflessness of the Calum's Road Motor-bikers.

Both the community in and around Calum's Road and all of us at Horse and Donkey feel privileged and humbled by what a group of men who were complete strangers have done for us. They have managed to raise in excess of £40,000 for the building of the road and are helping to make Stella's Dream come true.

HUGE thanks and hugs to each and every one of you who took part in the fundraising and planning of this incredible event, you are ALL heroes and I hope that you will take comfort in the knowledge that through your efforts, the lives of a great many people will be transformed for the better. We hope to meet you all in May and as soon as the road is complete and we have organised the official opening, we shall be sending out the invitations! Thank you all so much!

Post script. As if receiving help from the motor-bikers was not enough, we have also received help from a Dutch road building company called Ballast Nedam. We originally approached them for help and advice with the culverts for this road and they have given us so much help with surveying and suggestions and plans for the road. It is hard for me to describe just how much having such willing expertise means to me and it is hoped that work on the road will begin in the next three weeks, subject to approval from The National Roads Authority. Saying "Thank you" seems completely inadequate for the help we have received. I just hope that one day in some way, we can return the incredible kindness and generosity that we have received from this company.

To view pictures of the Motor-biker's arrival, please visit the GHDT website 'Calum's Road' page link.

They have managed to raise in excess of £40,000 for the building of the road and are helping to make Stella's Dream come true.

The total's over £40,000 now, then?

Not bad... :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom