Calum's Road - A Ride Of Two Halves

The End

So, there you have it, thank you for your patience whilst I rambled on. It was never meant to be this long and looking at the word count there are some 17,500 words :eek:

Some odd bit’s n bobs:

B&W piccies were taken on my trusty Nikon F3 28mm lens and Ilford HP5. I used a red filter for a lot of the Maroc shots which (unintentionally) gave some very bizarre effects when coupled with the red Maroc soil. Much Photoshop to salvage the shots and lesson learned!
I also lost 2 films which explains why there are few piccies from the end of the trip (a shame as I took some belters in the Picos).

Colour shots were a cheap point and shoot and my iPhone (the stitched piccies were off the phone)

The bike behaved faultlessly. It really put up with a lot on this trip and is now just shy of 50,000 miles. Only probs were a corroded power supply lead to my Quest and the hydraulic preload adjuster on my rear Wilbers blew (now fixed under warranty).

My kit did the job and some. Layers of Merino wool tops, Aerostitch heated fleece, Twat suit, army Gortex over jacket and Sidi Adventure boots with Merino wool socks – all of which meant that despite the weather I always kept warm, toasty and dry.

Oh, almost forgot, the kit ‘heroes’ – muffs and gaucho :clap

This trip has meant so much to me, and the others that were involved in it – those that made it all the way, those that set off to Maroc later and those that have yet too.

For me it shows what anybody can do when they put their mind to it. It’s a lesson well learned and it’s defo gonna be the beginning of a lot more big and bigger bike trips – this is just the start!

The experience of travelling with a bunch of peeps I didn’t know was an interesting one. There were times when I loved it and there were times, especially when some group ‘dynamics’ kicked off that I didn’t want to be there. But above everything it was an experience I wouldn’t want to change one little bit. I’d like to think that I’ve made some lifelong friends on this trip, a sounder bunch of guys you couldn’t hope to meet :bow

And, lastly, some thanks are due:

Firstly to ukGSer without which we would never have met up and got this trip together and secondly, without your generous support we wouldn’t have raised over £40,000 to go towards the building of Calum’s Rd in The Gambia.

Lastly, and by no means least, much thanks are due to Johnny McMaster (HRH) who, sadly got feck’d over by this site and is no longer here.
The whole trip was Johnny’s idea and even when he had to pull out due to lack of personal finances he carried on working behind the scenes to help sort the trip and carry on raising funds.
Something he is still doing.

To Johnny McMaster and Calum MacLeod :beerjug:

Andres

Andres
Really enjoyed your ride report, nice balance of words and piccies, quite the wordsmith aren't you. :clap:clap:clap
Looking forward to a good chin wag at the end of May.:thumb2

John.

You used filmstock? And HP5 too, I last used that over 30 years ago! How archaic... :D

That was a real treat to read. Some wonderful photies too, all of which make me wish I was doing the same trip right now (apart from the snowy bits :blast).

Spelling needs work...:hide

Andres, really enjoyed that RR, agree that sometimes its good to be on your own, but not alone, if you know what I mean !

Heading for Spain again myself on Mon, cant wait now after reading this !

Hats off to all who took part, just wish I could have been there myself, but wasnt to be :(

What you have done has improved many peoples lives :bow

Agree also about Johnny, he deserves a lot of credit for all his efforts :bow

Speak Soom

Neil 23

:beerjug:

I've dipped into this thread for the first time; what a cracking trip and a fantastic report! For you and Amanda, congratulations :)

And if you EVER need a riding partner, call me. You float along in the way I dream of. :thumb

two things.
1./ wot he said
and
2./ wot he said - about a riding partner; can i come too?! :bounce1

Thank you, it was a pleasure to read this. :clap

:mmmm
We're Not Worthy!

Attachments

• were-not-worthy.jpg
    were-not-worthy.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 318
Great stuff, i don't know how you manage to get comfortable on yer bike with bollocks the size of yours:clap

Well done, I really enjoyed reading all that:thumb2

Shep

Excellent report Andres :clap Enjoyed reading that :thumb2

..... a proper nights R&R never materialised – the nearest I got was being accosted by and extremely drunk Irish guy who decided to latch onto me and not let go..........you know the sort :rolleyes:

Funny, we had one of those on our leg of the trip too :augie

Despite all the nice bits of Portugal I have to admit I didn’t really warm to the place though.

I found them to be mostly surly, nay miserable and with none of the passion and enthusiasm that the Spaniards seem to have in spades.

Hm, I thought that too when I visited the place a few years back, must be all that Fado....

great reading and gives the rest of us hope that we one day might have the balls to tackle a trip like this:bow

thanks for sharing:):)

So, there you have it

Firstly to ukGSer without which we would never have met up and got this trip together and secondly, without your generous support we wouldn’t have raised over £40,000 to go towards the building of Calum’s Rd in The Gambia.

Lastly, and by no means least, much thanks are due to Johnny McMaster (HRH) who, sadly got feck’d over by this site and is no longer here.
The whole trip was Johnny’s idea and even when he had to pull out due to lack of personal finances he carried on working behind the scenes to help sort the trip and carry on raising funds.
Something he is still doing.

To Johnny McMaster and Calum MacLeod :beerjug:

Andres

well done :clap
but why is this not in the charity section?:nenau:nenau....

no, really,
it raises all that money, and gives thanks to the fact that it was ukgser that helped put it together, so why not???
:eek
:nenau

Irrelevant what section it appears in surely, the event has it's own section of the site and has had for a long time to help with organisation and communication.

These are ride reports so have their own section in the ride reports section, if they were in the charity section would potentially be missed so simpler as they are IMPO.

Back
Top Bottom