Classic airheads and Norwegians invade Morocco

And on quite a nice black thing:rob
1227266285_LyRqi-XL.jpg

Ian modelling the latest Moroccan headgear...a miniature Mosque tower....

Beats a combover by a long way :thumb2

P1010792.jpg

(Ian and I were in the Landcruiser that day, while the guys rode a great piste down towards Tafraoute)

There are some lovely viewpoints along that route, and at this time of year, Morocco is a very pleasant green colour rather than the dusty brown that everyone imagines

IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6433.jpg

No side stand?
No problem :thumb2

P1000697.jpg

Getting down into the Granite mountains around Tafraoute, there are places where you can see right back up to the high Atlas range

P1000699.jpg

I've seen worse places to stop for a mars bar and a drink :D

IMG_6470.jpg

You should complete this thread:) The story didn't end here.....

I know :blast

If Ken could send me some of the video footage, it'd help a great deal.....but I will get around to picking it up again, I promise :thumb2

Great report, and heartening to see the airheads mixing it with the more modern machinery!

:blast I never did get around to finishing it :eek

I've been dumping a load of old stuff to DVD and Smugmug this week, and I swear, I WILL finish this RR :blast

The last, and possibly the best ever trip (in terms of extreme and thrills, riding standards etc).........it deserves to be finished :cool:

Hi,
very interested in the R100GS with twin front discs set up as I am aiming to beef up the brakes on my R100GS.
Can you give me some info on the conversion please.
Ian

Hi Ian,

I did a twin disc conversion on my 1989 GS and to do it the way it is shown in the photo with twin K valve calipers, is a lot of work! I contacted a guy on this forum who had already done it, it may have been the guy in the photo, I seem to remember he was in Ireland.

If I were you I would try a 4 pot K series caliper and floating disc first (as it is easy!) then if you feel you want more go for the whole hog. Motobins or motorworks used to do a pre - machined 16 valve caliper that bolted straight on, not sure if they are still available. The floating disc comes from ebc, they are very helpful.

I am pretty sure I did it this way round before I dived in and went to twin discs, the twin disc route is long winded as you need the correct caliper to machine for the left side, you need to have a disc made so the vent holes run the correct way and you need a good machinist to modify the right hand leg to fit on the left side. (that is how you get a caliper mounts on the left)
You can weld mounts onto the standard left leg, but it normally distorts!
You will also need the master cylinder off a Mystic, they had twin discs, and you will need to make up braided lines.
Finally an orange reflector for the left hand leg!!!!
As you can see it is a lot of work to do it properly with BMW genuine parts, but with GS's fetching the money they are now its worth it.

Have fun

Simon
Hi,
very interested in the R100GS with twin front discs set up as I am aiming to beef up the brakes on my R100GS.
Can you give me some info on the conversion please.
Ian

There are still hundreds of pics from this RR :blast

I WILL get around to it one day, I promise :beerjug:

I love reading other peoples ride reports, but I love the look of the 'classic' R100, R80 BMW. I may have to start saving for a project bike

Tomorrow is my last day in the current job, then I wil;l have some time.....I'll go back through the photos and see what I can come up with :beerjug:

So.....picking up smoothly from where I left off just yesterday :augie

We are doing our 'normal' route (not that there ever was really a 'normal' one....I don't think we EVER did a trip on the same circuit twice- what would be the fun in that?) backwards, because of the weather.

So leaving The Pasha's Palace, Tim lead and Gary rode backmarker from Olad Berhil, with Ian and myself in the Landcruiser towing the recovery trailer (read horsebox, heavily modified and a bit baggy around the seams :D).

From Olad Berhil, there's a straight road to Taroudant, which if you've done it two dozen times like we have, can be boring.
Part of the 'skill' (if there is in fact any) of running a trip though is to be able to separate yourself from your own feelings about a route, place, hotel or whatever, and remembering that the people you are taking there have NEVER seen it before....so you try and remember the wide eyed feeling of appreciation for the new that you found when doing that route for the first time.

In the same breath though, every time you do that route, you pick up a bit more knowledge about it, and the places you pass through, so you're able to tell the group a little of the history, or what to look out for that they will find interesting.

The N10 to Taroudant through the Souss valley is one of those roads......it's a main and ancient trade route/ highway for traffic from Agadir to Ouazazarte or Marrakech.

Alongside it are dozens of massive estates that grow a significant percentage of the citrus fruit that is exported to Europe...you can see acres of land laid out in grids stretching back to the foothills of the Haut Atlas, all filled with citrus trees (mainly Lemon, Lime and Oranges, I've never seen grapefruit there)
Taroudant is a bit like Marrakech was 30 years ago....it's classic pisé walled city (rammed earth, an ancient and still used building technique across wide areas of the planet) with soukhs, tiny twisty streets, the hustle and bustle but FAR less of the hassle that you'll get in Marra.

If you're touring Morocco and want to feel the cities and maybe do some shopping, Taroudant is a place I'd thoroughly recommend spending a day in.
It's the silver capital of Morocco, once recognised as being the source of some of the best filigree silverwork you can buy, and it still has many silversmith artisans working in the little back street shops, as well as some fine shops selling top of the range stuff.

We weren't there to shop though....fekk that, we were there to ride!

Just outside Taroudant, after a stop for cash, mars bars, sugary pop and for the smarter shoppers, dried fruit and nuts, the main group turned off onto some of the great pistes heading towards Tafraoute through the high plains and hills full of argane trees with the compulsory climbing goats.
Ian and I stayed on the main drag, passing through Ait-Baha. This is a road that could have been designed specifically for guys with big bollocks riding super motos on very sticky rubber, but it's also a beautiful and spectacular route.

For the bikes, the smaller pistes are a combination of fast gravel, compact mud, tight corners and half a dozen medium height hill/mountain ranges as you head away from the Atlas and down towards the granite Anti-Atlas ranges.

P1020833-1663x935.jpg

These are the sort of tracks that good riders can make spectacular progress on, as long as they are aware that at over any bump, there could be a sudden switchback, collapsed old culvert or laden donkey, or a frikkin camel :augie

P1020834-1663x935.jpg

image190.jpg

There are points on this piste set that you can look back North and see several ranges of hills, with the Haut Atlas and its snow capped peaks showing up in the far distance...it's a shame that a photo can never really capture the sheer scale of the place.

P1020836-1663x935.jpg

P1020837-1663x935.jpg

Back
Top Bottom