Wee-kend - potential job

bakerlonglegs

Relative numpty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Morning all,

If (a big 'if' at the moment) I can get it through the MOT in time, I have an up-coming job to do on my g/s - change the steering head bearings. To be honest, they weren't that great when I rebuilt the old girl, and there is a slight notchy-ness now.

TBH it's a not a job I'm looking forward to, I've got no idea how to get the bearing bits out of the frame and off the bottom of the steering pivot-thing (technical term :thumb2 ). But I'd like to have a go at them under the watchful eyes of the airhead gurus at the wee-kend.

So, what do you reckon - do-able at the wee-kend? Do we need special tools to do it?

From my limited experience, i think a welder would be handy to have around:thumb2

Riiiiiiiight. The bike is now MOT'ed but the reactions so far suggest that this may be a bigger job than a weekend's worth :eek:

Think I'll leave it for a little winter project :thumb2

Riiiiiiiight. The bike is now MOT'ed but the reactions so far suggest that this may be a bigger job than a weekend's worth :eek:

Think I'll leave it for a little winter project :thumb2

No!!!!

This is the whole point of the weekend. There is plenty of time. Arrive Friday and we have 48 hours of workshop time. We have the tools, the equipment and the expertise.

I am creating extra work space so we should be able to work on at least 4 bikes at any one time. The whole left hand side of the workshop will be work bays with plenty of tools available.

Just let me know any tools or special equipment needed and I'll make sure we have it allready.

Sid

Can I book my carbs off the 80G/S for a rebuild, they'll be loose as I'll bring them down in my luggage on the RS.

Do we need to order parts directly with Sherlock's ?

Can I book my carbs off the 80G/S for a rebuild, they'll be loose as I'll bring them down in my luggage on the RS.

Do we need to order parts directly with Sherlock's ?

Yes.

Order any bits direct from Sherlocks and pay for them direct but tell them "Sid to collect". This will save you the postage and allow me to collect a few days before event. I'll sort out all bits and have them ready in the workshop with owners name's on them.

Any last minute bits can also be arranged but obviously better for all concerned if we are a little bit organised

Hope this helps. :)

Sid

I'm thinking...

that I might try and sort my oil weeping woes at the wee-kend rather than an eleventh-hour fix like last years steering head bearings.
If there's workshop space/time available that is.
Or I'll just top up and keep riding otherwise.
650 has no MoT so I can't take the Airhead off the road at the moment.

Workshop space for 80/7, new rings and pushrod tubes.

Got the 80/7 tested and taxed today, its been sorn for the past 3 years only because I've been running other bikes. We plan to enter the Moto Piston Rally in October with it (see below). The rings need replacing as its using a bit of oil and smoking, and the pushrod tubes need replacing as one has a rust hole, but can't complain shes done 160 thousand miles. I have a set of pistons and barrels from a spare engine with lower mileage so may do a swap. Anyway had hoped to get this done before the Wee-Kend but now looks unlikely, I already have most of the parts just waiting for gudgeon pins and pushrod tube fitment tool.
As I'm only an hour away I could arrive mid morning to make an early start, and so make way for others in the workshop later if that's ok with you Sid?

DSCN4427.jpg

Legal and ready to go.

DSCN4428.jpg

Another one for the collection, yes its a complete set.

DSCN4421.jpg

The pushrod tube hole temporary repair, jubilee clip with a shred of gasket covers the hole.

Looking forward to the Wee-kend :thumb2.

Thanks to England Kev :bow
We have the special tool for removing and installing the pushrod tubes :thumb
Just make sure you've got the bottom rubber seals as well ....

Will my internal bearing puller thingy be of use to anybody this weekend.
BluePoint things with slide hammer type wotsit job, Proff will no what i mean.
Just say and i will pop um in a box...
Lyn.
PS: thinking about all the trouble last year removing front wheel bearings.

Back
Top Bottom