Hyperpro springs

Handling much improved,the stiffer front end reduces dive when braking.

I've got the 50mm lowering kit and the only negative point is reduced clearance when the bikes fully loaded for touring. When the bike is being pushed hard through the twisties, I grounded my side stand and centre stand on both sides, and had to raise the centre stand home position by reducing the height of the bump stop rubber.

Best £200 Ive spent on the bike :)

Great feedback Thomo.
Do you go offroad much? (Problems with off-road clearance?)
I note you prevous post that height lowering is achived by increased sag.. but a full 5cm seems a lot for a bike to sag.. did you not achive ANY decrease in resting height? (would be nice for getting the leg over to be easier!!!)

Jonny, I have not taken the GS off road yet, we'll not intentionally :blast
The progressive springs return the bike to the original height when unloaded, so they won't help to get you onto the bike, but once you weight is on the bike, the sag kicks in. The main advantage of this is that both the stands do not require modification (other than for clearance when cornering - this will depend on your load and how far you lean the bike :D:D)

Jonny, I have not taken the GS off road yet, we'll not intentionally :blast
The progressive springs return the bike to the original height when unloaded, so they won't help to get you onto the bike, but once you weight is on the bike, the sag kicks in. The main advantage of this is that both the stands do not require modification (other than for clearance when cornering - this will depend on your load and how far you lean the bike :D:D)

Cool. Since I'm only 64kg in weight, I have trouble on all big bikes with getting the sag to kick in, despite dialling preload etc to as soft as possible. Any thoughts on how many kilos of force are needed for the sag to kick enough to get the 25mm?
Hope that makes sense.. Just trying to ensure I get a proper drop in height.

Cool. Since I'm only 64kg in weight, I have trouble on all big bikes with getting the sag to kick in, despite dialling preload etc to as soft as possible. Any thoughts on how many kilos of force are needed for the sag to kick enough to get the 25mm?
Hope that makes sense.. Just trying to ensure I get a proper drop in height.

Sounds like you need pies... lots of them..

I'm unsure how much load is required, have you tried dropping the forks through the yokes, you can lower the front end a further 12-15mm :)

Sounds like you need pies... lots of them..

I'm unsure how much load is required, have you tried dropping the forks through the yokes, you can lower the front end a further 12-15mm :)

Ha, yes, stacking on some pounds would be one way to do it! Can Anyone else with hyperpro springs comment On whether the sag kicks in easily even if rider is lighter than average?

Jonno
Give a Hyperpro UK stockist such as Calsport on 084560 10986 a call or strap a bag of cement on :comfort

Can Anyone else with hyperpro springs comment On whether the sag kicks in easily even if rider is lighter than average?

Sag doesn't "kick in". It's purely the weight of bike and rider which compress the spring. If you're a racing snake, then you should ask Hyperpro for a weaker spring as your all up weight will be less than the average.

I weigh 80-83kg, and with the suspension on its softest the bike wallows a bit in the twisties though is good and soft on the motorway. It'd ground out two-up though, so I wind on four or five turns of pre-load for that. I use even more if two-up with luggage...

Thanks for the instructions Dave Ett! :beerjug: :thumb2 :thumb2

We fitted the kit yesterday to CrazyCaz's bike and apart from a seized bolt at the chain guide it was a doddle.
I highly recommend getting a long T55 socket so that you can access the lower shock bolt without taking the chaing guard and guide off. (We've ordered one now :rolleyes: )

Also, we paid Motorworks for the spring compressor and once we figured it out :blast it was also a doddle. :eek We took some pics, so we need to get our thubmbs out and post them up here for future refernce.
The gist of it is that you only need to compress the spring a little bit and then poke the circlip out of the groove using a few small screwdrivers through the tiny gaps in the compression tool. :rob
It costs £70 with £60 refunded upon return. Recommended. :thumb2

Good thing we had thomo57 to help, well, it was going well until he showed up, and he only left once I gave him a beer. ;) Thanks for coming by, mate. :cool:

Anyhoo, off for a test ride now! :JB

Last edited:
Cheers Joker, any time :), my technical heckling support is readily available although pre-booking may be required at peak times!

It comes in three options-
  • Free Package - general piss taking and embarrassing photo's posted to your Facebook wall.

• Hot Drink Package (nice coffee or tea required - no instant crap) - sample comment 'ooh you don't want to do that' whilst shaking head dissapprovingly!

• Premium Package (free beer/spirits required to be served) Sample comment 'stop fecking about, and just hit it harder - the bigger the doubt - the bigger the clout' or 'what torque setting! bollox!, just tighten it up till it strips, then back it off half a turn, job done'

:beerjug:

Yeah, that's the one, glad I splurged for the Premium Package.

Re the springs, took her bike for a quick run around a few local roundabouts and I'm very impressed. Maybe even so impressed that I might have to get a kit for my own bike. Hmmmm..!

Just a quick word of thanks, fitted the Hyperpro rear spring to the F800GS this evening, took a couple of hours on my own. :)

Working out how to use the Hyperpro spring tool was fun hence the time.

But I would struggled to have done it without Dave Etts great pictures and instructions which worked a treat. So many thanks for tipping the balance and giving me the confidence to crack on.

Fork springs tomorrow.

If Dave if you need some Karma, a bucket loads from me today. And the beers are on me. :beerjug:

Just bought the Hyperpro kit and attempted to fit the rear spring yesterday. It appears that the tighter coils that the wider gapped coils that are meant to seat downwards will not fit over the sleeve that covers the lower end of the suspension body where the piston shaft is If you know what I mean. The only way the coil will fit is upside down or with the tighter/smaller gapped coils downwards. Does it make a difference which way the coil is fitted anyway I ask myself. Help please :)

You've probably already done a double check so it may be worth a triple check - the distance through the centre of the coil (ie the diameter of the inner aperture) should be even all the way down. If it isn't i'd contact HP to confirm...

Albeit my HP shock spring is on the bike i've just checked the original and that is even all the way through the middle. As i recall from mine it was a fairly snug fit - maybe some GT85 or similar?

If HP OK the diameter difference then i can't imagine on a shock spring it will make a difference which way up the coil is, though tight coils are generally top and HP recommend this.

Best,

S

Well, no reply from HP regarding the upside down rear shock coil, but it seems to do the job.
Yesterday I changed the fork springs and oil as well and took my F8 for a test ride with the complete 20mm HP lowering kit on. My impressions: On road the ride is now smoother, the front forks absorb the humps and bumps better than the original WP set up that in comparison I would describe as a couple of "2by4s". Really, the difference is quite notioceble though I did not find it quite as overwhelming as some have described. The slightly lower setting of 20mil is just enough for me to feel more at ease when manoeuvring the 200kg bulk at a stand still. Off road is where the HP kit got me beaming with satisfaction. The suspension now does a decent job on handling the rough stuff. I feel I am no longer bouncing around as if on a wooden cart (or a Harley :D) on cobble stones. I feel confident, I know I won't struggle to handle my machine over the steps, ruts and loose stuff . I find that I am opening up the throttle and getting more speed in which of course adds to the enjoyment of it all. At times it felt like being on my KTM! Well done HP, good value for money. Wish I had done this before my trip to Morocco. Cheers to Dave Ett for his posts and pics on here.:beer:

Thanks Dave - this has been very helpful, but I have one small problem, being an amateur at this sort of thing. I have got the lower bolt out of my existing spring OK and the top bolt, but how do you get the shock out of the rubber mounting at the top please?

just bought the combi kit for my 800gsa. Can't seem to get it booked in to any dealers before the end of August, so I'm thinking of giving this a go myself.. I hope I don't regret this!

Cheers for the post Dave.

so, rear done today... Took *a lot* longer than I thought, mainly because I hit the same problem that NRG mentioned above...

The plastic sleeve that covers the lower end of the shock took a lot of persuasion to slide into the looser coiled end of the new spring. After I'd managed that, pushing the metal collar into that plastic sleeve was *impossible*. Not only that, but it too a serious amount of effort to then remove the plastic sleeve from inside the new spring. My fingers are so sore!!

So, in the end, I took NRG's solution and placed the spring 'upside down' with the tighter coiled end in the lower position. That way, everything 'just works' even though it seems to be against all advice and guidance. I will also contact HP and see if there is either a) a problem with the springs or b) any detriment to having the spring upside down

Anyway, all back together now and it seems to have delivered exactly what I needed. It's the 50mm kit and even with just the rear spring changed, the height is already *much* more confidence inspiring. I'd been getting used to the full height of the 800gsa with the low seat option, but this is a world apart. I'll look forward to putting the comfort seat back on once I've done the front too.

Last issue having done the rear, is the side-stand. I bought a second hand shortened stand from someone on here in preparation for the lower height, but with only the rear done so far, the original stand actually seems to be better than it was before. I always felt the lean was too much before, especially with boxes loaded up, but now it seems ideal. Maybe that will change when the front is done.. Either way, I'll report back.

Wish me luck for tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom