Simple, NO COST servo removal of 1150 IABS system

Just completed servosectomy as per Daves brilliant instrucrions. my bike is an 1150 Rockster, made up a small bracket to slightly move front connector to make fit of braided hoses better. brakes are OK but on reassebly I've lost the speedo. has any one else had a problem like this or do I just take it all to bits again and start carefully examining the wiring?

The speedo is cable driven on the GS. :D

What you should have done is much simpler with no wire cutting.
Just undo the small electrical part of the servo (4 screws) and leave that part plugged into the servo/abs plug. :D

Speedo problems

So I've reconnected all the wires in the loom and got the servo abs unit out of the bin removed the electrical box off the end and plugged it back in. Now I've got all my brake warnings flashing my speedo back but have lost my brake lights again. Any ideas?

Brake lights

You may have to fit some hydraulic brake lamp switches in the hydraulic brake lines, or fit electro mechanical switches on the levers and the brake pedal.
The brake lamps were probabaly activated by the brake hydraulic pressure sensed in the abs unit, now youve bypassed that hydraulically, no stop lamps...no surprise.

So I've reconnected all the wires in the loom and got the servo abs unit out of the bin removed the electrical box off the end and plugged it back in. Now I've got all my brake warnings flashing my speedo back but have lost my brake lights again. Any ideas?

Have you checked the brake lamp bulb?

Pull out the warning bulbs in the instrument panel :D
Have you replaced the brake servo relay ?

You should have your brake lights working normally with the servo ecu brain plugged in, regardless of the main unit being removed.

The brake lamps were probabaly activated by the brake hydraulic pressure sensed in the abs unit, now youve bypassed that hydraulically, no stop lamps...no surprise.

The brake switches activate the servo motor, not the other way around. :D

Pull out the warning bulbs in the instrument panel :D
Have you replaced the brake servo relay ?

You should have your brake lights working normally with the servo ecu brain plugged in, regardless of the main unit being removed.

Couldn't get brake lights to work off ECU brain so wired original micro switches in series to 5 pin relay and wired straight to stop lamp. Simple and inexpensive if any one else ends up in this particular corner. Rode it today and everything seems to work well enough to remind me of why I bought it in the first place. Thanks to everyone who helped push my repairs in the right direction.

If you follow the advice on this (excellent) thread then you can find some awkward angles on the front brake lines (which can cause the line to be trapped by the steering - both a poor idea and a probable MoT failure).

Motorworks make this bit of kit (although a garage with a flaring tool could probably make one for you...).

i-WVMv2ZM-M.jpg

This lets you leave the splitter and the front hoses in their original places and overcomes this snag.

Mike :cool:

Straight question then.

Has anyone removed the Servo on a 1150 GS Adventure and regretted it? :nenau

What is the situation with the abs lights not he panel after a servectomy?

Can't imagine they do much once the control box is removed. Handy source of spare dash bulbs?

Do the non-servo bikes use the same panel?

Can't imagine they do much once the control box is removed. Handy source of spare dash bulbs?

Do the non-servo bikes use the same panel?

Same panel exactly, no bulbs in that section on my bike or bulb holders

Loom is different on abs & non abs bikes

I spose those that may have said they regret removing their ABS you don't hear from anymore :rose

You put your hand up under the instrument panel and remove the one bulb that still lights up.

Just thought i'd mention that this thread is a bit old now, and there is a far easier way to remove the whole servo/abs unit and keep the wiring intact should you wish to replace and restore the servo/abs function at any any point in the future.

WAIT ONE SECOND BEFORE YOU REMOVE

After bleeding my brakes on my gs1150 iabs 2003, all ok brakes bled but lost servo completely
on front and rear circuit, and brake light now constantly on.
Brake failure warning on dash flashing 4 to a second
residual brakes only
Bought a gs 9-11 and although it didn't point directly to the problem it did help.
It told me that the rear brake was applied.
I looked at the usual stuff, rear brake pedal switch stuck or broke.
All pressures ok in system
fluid level all ok
Then it occurred to me that the rear brake is controlled by the abs unit
which is connected by the large multi pin plug on top of abs unit, I examined this closely
and found that when I put the large plug back on the plug actually pushed one of the pins in the socket slightly down in to the socket, so the plug failed to make a connection with the socket.
Remedy was to get my long nose pliers and just pull the pin back up slightly, connected the plug
and everything solved in a instant.
I wonder how many others have had the same problem and not found it, forcing them to remove the servo and abs, I have been reading lots of forums and lots have people have had this problem, but none have mentioned this solution.
Anyway I am now one happy bunny thank you gs 911

After bleeding my brakes on my gs1150 iabs 2003, all ok brakes bled but lost servo completely
on front and rear circuit, and brake light now constantly on.
Brake failure warning on dash flashing 4 to a second
residual brakes only
Bought a gs 9-11 and although it didn't point directly to the problem it did help.
It told me that the rear brake was applied.
I looked at the usual stuff, rear brake pedal switch stuck or broke.
All pressures ok in system
fluid level all ok
Then it occurred to me that the rear brake is controlled by the abs unit
which is connected by the large multi pin plug on top of abs unit, I examined this closely
and found that when I put the large plug back on the plug actually pushed one of the pins in the socket slightly down in to the socket, so the plug failed to make a connection with the socket.
Remedy was to get my long nose pliers and just pull the pin back up slightly, connected the plug
and everything solved in a instant.
I wonder how many others have had the same problem and not found it, forcing them to remove the servo and abs, I have been reading lots of forums and lots have people have had this problem, but none have mentioned this solution.
Anyway I am now one happy bunny thank you gs 911

Why did you unplug an electrical connection to bleed the servos ? There is no need, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

Why did you unplug an electrical connection to bleed the servos ? There is no need, I've never heard of anyone doing that before.

I unplugged mine to bleed the control circuits, not the servos. I did it because the BMW manual told me to, but the instruction seemed sensible given the placement of the bleeders on the servo.

Am I about to learn a trick that saves me messing with said connector next time?

Back
Top Bottom