Important Announcement : G650 XCountry/XChallenge/XMoto - 2010 BMW RECALL

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A BMW recall has been announced 21/6/2010 for all G650 Models

2-3 items need to be done (in addition to what is written below) and either call your dealer/await notification

I picked this up in the USA, this morning and here's the stuff

BMW is recalling certain ’08-’09 F 650 GS and F 800 GS models manufactured from Sept. 27, 2007, through March 30, 2009.
The company is also recalling ’07-’08 G 650 Xcountry, Xchallenge and Xmoto models manufacturered from Nov. 29, 2006, through May 19, 2008.
The drive chains of the F650 GS and F800 GS may not have been produced to specification. As a result, over time the chain could break. If the broken chain becomes trapped between the rear wheel and the frame, the rear wheel could lock up.
Regarding the G 650 models, over time the roll gear pin’s mounting attachment could break. If it does, fragments of the attachment could become trapped between the drive chain and the rear sprocket, possibly causing the rear wheel to lock up.

BMW has not yet provided NHTSA with a remedy plan or a notification schedule.

The NHTSA campaign ID numbers are 10V273000 for the G 650 models and 10V274000 for the F 650 and F800.

A phone call to Rainbow BMW, this morning confirmed its authenticity and that, new special tools:eek: have been ordered by most UK dealers and the modified parts will be available now or very soon

Regarding the G 650 models, over time the roll gear pin’s mounting attachment could break. If it does, fragments of the attachment could become trapped between the drive chain and the rear sprocket, possibly causing the rear wheel to lock up.

What is a roll gear pin?, what does it look like?:confused:

Or do they mean the chain rollers??

Confused of winchester....

What is a roll gear pin?, what does it look like?:confused:

Or do they mean the chain rollers??

Confused of winchester....

Don't ask me................contact your dealer................they have the bulletin and relevant part no's

It's not just that, there are a couple of other non related items too

Seen the Service Bulletin today

It's a new top chain roller (below fuel tank and above right hand swing arm pivot, roughly) for an updated design

Plus a new rear airshock mudflap, for a redesigned one (most of us have already spaced it out anyway:augie)

Pop into Vines SLM today and booked mine in. According to the bulletin its a 25min job I'm planning on it taking them all day.

Recall done and fuel low level sensor replaced as faulty.
One days work but bike in for three as wrong part ordered, ah well the F800R was a blast as a loan , the G650 felt like a moped afterwards but I still love it.

Yeah, my bird has gone in yesterday...... missing her already!:comfort

Timpo.

Does Miss Teach like being left in a cold workshop all weekend:augie

Anyone who hasn't had the recall, contact any BMW dealer and get yours done....................it's FOC:thumb2

Does Miss Teach like being left in a cold workshop all weekend:augie

She loves it mate.....

OK, the XC is back, done.
I can't see a difference in the chain guide roller, but hey, they're the designers, and the shock shroud has a bulge in it..... even more room around the Ohlins now!;)

Timpo.

PS. Blackbert in Belgium has told me that my Touratwat 16ltr tank has been delivered, just need to nip over and collect...... and sample a few slugs, of course.:beer:
The money I saved buying from EuroTT will pay for a visit over to Belgium.... false ecomomy, I think not.

Worth checking

I rang the local dealer today about my recently acquired 2007 650X Country to see if any recalls were outstanding and they said it had three outstanding recalls. The chain roller, a replacement battery and one of the front brake fittings !!!

They estimated about three hours of work. the front brake is a bit spongy, hopefully they'll have to bleed it and save me a job..:D

Front Brake

Is just a clip mod to hold the brake line near the front forks Nothing more

Time to get bleeding

Regards Frank

2 out of 3 ain't bad

Thanks to JohnnyBoxer for notifing us of the latest recall, BMW didn't tell me about it anyway:(

So I booked in my Xcountry in for the three jobs.

1) New battery - that went fine. My bike had already got a new battery at approx 10 months old, but they replaced it anyway. Not sure of any upgrade in specification.

2) The chain rollers mounting. It is just the mounting bracket that was changed. the old bracket was a pressed sheet steel job. The new one is a chunky solid steel. I took some photos

Before
c20ded4f.jpg

After
25a7940e.jpg

After
7fc72887.jpg

3) The brake hose clip didn't happen. I was told they were sent the wrong parts or something like that. They also said it had to riveted to the frame, does thay sound right? My bike has ABS.

They also managed to scratch my rear subframe, under the seat:mad:

Another 300Km round trip next week for number 3.

New Information NHTSA

I found this on the web,

Service Bulletin Number: TB-34-003-10 NHTSA Item Number: 10034672

Summary:
BMW MOTORCYCLE: REPAIR SET FOR BRAKE PIPE DISTRIBUTOR BRACKET. ALL MODELS (K15) HAVE A BRAKE PIPE DISTRIBUTOR HELD BY FRAME MOUNTED BRACKET JUST BEHIND THE STEERING HEAD. THIS FRAME MOUNTED BRACKET CAN DEVELOP CRACKS. A REPAIR SET THAT ENSURES THE SECURITY OF THE DISTRIBUTOR HAS TO BE INSTALLED. NO MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Looks like an extra brack will be added to strengthen the existing bracket at the headstock.

I finally got around to getting this done,
Sorry about the picture quality, but it is the only one I have.
Here is the new bracket outlined in red.
96501c35-1.jpg

Can anyone put up a clear and in focus image of this brake hose clip recall please?
What it was and what bmw has replaced with.
That would be a great help.
Thank you

Can anyone put up a clear and in focus image of this brake hose clip recall please?
What it was and what bmw has replaced with.
That would be a great help.
Thank you

It’s the bracket attached to the frame that holds the distributor that the front brake pipes go into

If it’s made up of two pieces , one welded to the frame and the other bolted onto that welded part you already have the modified parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"you already have the modified parts" :oops: I do?

on the right hand side (sitting on bike) just forward of the faux tank? where I replaced the hose with the Venhill one?
This bracket? looks welded on and no cracks that I can see -
this would save me a trip to the smoke.
Thanks John

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_092737_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_092737_Gallery.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just to be clear I said "If it’s made up of two pieces , one welded to the frame and the other bolted onto that welded part"you already have the modified parts

Here is the recall notice :

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.49.39.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.49.47.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.49.59.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.50.07.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.50.16.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.50.23.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.50.31.png

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 10.50.40.png

Darn, only have one piece - so mine still needs doing as only got the right hand welded bit.
At least I now know 👍
Very helpful and knowledgeable as always. Thanks you John.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom