Alaska 2012

I'd love to get in on a portion of this ride - but no way in Hell I'd ever be allowed that much time away from work. Might be able to get 10 days off, but even that'd be pushing it.:(

Any chance I could just join you in Alaska and ride along for a few days?

I'd love to get in on a portion of this ride - but no way in Hell I'd ever be allowed that much time away from work. Might be able to get 10 days off, but even that'd be pushing it.:(

Any chance I could just join you in Alaska and ride along for a few days?

No problem:thumb Just keep an eye on this thread.

I am in if you'll have me. Would be wrong, as a Dalton, not to ride the route at some point! Time off is cleared with work and central control ( I.e the wife) :jb

I'll get back to all you have enquired in teh next day or so. I'm working nights as well as working during the day so it's a bit busy here.:eek:

If you haven't already done so, please let me have you e-mail addy's on pm as it's easier to get the initial info to you:thumb

I'll get back to all you have enquired in teh next day or so. I'm working nights as well as working during the day so it's a bit busy here.:eek:

If you haven't already done so, please let me have you e-mail addy's on pm as it's easier to get the initial info to you:thumb

pm'd you, can't commit at the moment but would like to know more :augie

pipe dream for me:blast but could you give a ball park figure for a trip like this:)

i'll go saw the barrels off the shotgun:augie

I've had lot's of questions about the Dalton Hwy and what is it really like? Will you like it? Is it dangerous? What's the weather like? etc etc

Well, I'll be as honest as I can and say in my opinion it's one of the scariest roads you'll ever ride but in a really good way. It's not because it's hard to ride or the conditions are so bad, it's because you are miles from anywhere, no phone signal, no AA van, no burger bar. If you break down, have puncture or fall off you are on you own so you have to make contingency plans i.e carry spares and puncture kit, 1st aid kit extra fuel etc etc.

It's a really exillarating experience being up there knowing how remote it is but you have to be aware of the issues about you. In reality, riding in a group up there is the way to do it and it will be 100% fine but you need to know it's not a blast round a green lane on a Sunday morning. If you really don't want to tackle it on this trip that's no problem and I'll design a nice little 3 day road ride in the area.

Some specific questions answered:

Mileage: It's approx 1000 mils from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay and back and we will do it in 3 days. 1 - Fairbanks to Wiseman approx 250 miles 50% tarmac and 5 hours. 2 - Wiseman Prudhoe Bay Wiseman approx 500 miles and a mixture of everything. 12 hours. 3 - Wiseman to Fairbanks. The first 100 or so miles from Fairbanks is really good tarmac with lovely sweeping corners.

Fuel: There is gas at the Yukon crossing (90 miles from Fairbanks), Coldfoot (250 from Fairbanks) and Prudhoe Bay (500 from Fairbanks). Most bikes won' t make the last stretch so we will carry extra.

Luggage: We will take off the panniers etc and leave them in Fairbanks as there is no point taking a fully loaded bike. Wash bag, camera, Deet and a pair of clean undies is good enough. We will have 2 nights in a place called wiseman halfway up the Dalton.

Food: Carry plenty of water and energy food as there are restaurants in Coldfoot and Prudhoe Bay.

Wildlife: You will see Deer, Caribou, an occasional Moose and the odd Arctic Fox. You may be lucky and see a bear or two. Mosquitos are the big thing up there and carry plenty of deet. Those feckers are enormous and can really spoil your day if you don't take precautions.

Tyres: I will be on Heidenau's or TKC's. You can ride it on Tourances etc but I like the safety and security of knobblies. It's hard enough without wobbling about like a new born foal.

Weather: It can be 90+ in Fairbanks and freezing on the Atigun Pass and in Prudhoe bay. One minute you are sweating buckets and 5 minutes later you are wet and cold so layers and waterproofs are essential.

Road conditions: They range from good tarmac to gravel to dirt. The hardest bits are when the roads have been freshly graded and they are soft so if you see a grader, take extra care! They put some sort of cement dust down and when it's dry it's fantastic but when it rains it's like slippery treacle so be warned. It sticks to your bike like sh*t to a blanket and sets like concrete. It does wash off though so it's not the place to be if you like a clean bike at the end of the day.

Trucks: You will here horror stories of trucks trying to run you off the road and you should pull off when you see one to avoid the flying gravel. In my experience, the truckers are top guys and gals and can't believe anyone chooses to be there. If you see one coming, pull over slightly to the right and they do the same to give each other room and they always wave. If you have a break down, chances are they will stop and check you are OK and radio ahead to other people. They don't hang around though so do not get in their way!!

Speed: In the right condition you can cruise on the dirt at 55 but if it gets wet, this will slow dramatically.

It's a brilliant road to ride and getting to Prudhoe Bay has to be in most people's list of places to go. There's nothing there really but there is something about being 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle which makes you glad to be alive and believe me, it's worth every hard mile of the road.

Here's a little taster from 2009:thumb

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ZmHUYj-xU?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B8ZmHUYj-xU?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hmm, TAT or Alaska? :nenau Both would be great, or am I just being greedy? Will keep an eye on this thread.
Mark

Better get some dirt riding practice in so.....................:augie

You see reports of guys going up there on Hardleys etc, so how bad can it be?

Famous last words. :)

You can do it on an HD ort any bike really but it wouldn't be any fun :D

Better get some dirt riding practice in so.....................:augie

You see reports of guys going up there on Hardleys etc, so how bad can it be?

Famous last words. :)

When I was in Morocco I used to keep on saying to myself, "light on the front, fluffy on the backend" to make sure I was relaxing, I can give you a demonstration in our San Francisco hotel before we leave for Alaska of my own off road technique....:D

When I was in Morocco I used to keep on saying to myself, "light on the front, fluffy on the backend" to make sure I was relaxing, I can give you a demonstration in our San Francisco hotel before we leave for Alaska of my own off road technique....:D

:eek:

Do you think they will let us back to the one in Novato?

"light on the front, fluffy on the backend" to make sure I was relaxing, I can give you a demonstration in our San Francisco hotel

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm really scared now. :eek

Thankfully I will be staying with Natasha and won't need a hotel in SF. :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom