Positioning

Don't be blinded by science!

For road riding, I'm not to keen on the idea or the term 'turn in point'. That's very much a track based tool that has little relevance on the road, and to me smacks of braking points, Keith Codes 'two step' approach to cornering, faster lap times and all that. Good fun, a good science, but not for the road.

I think understanding what a turn point is helps on the road, again i don't really have them as road riding is too fluid and dependant on surface (which often changes from one day to the next) and other traffic etc.

However I do know at some point I must turn, the other Code term I like is "Target Fixation" very common, everyone gets it from time to time, but I recognise it, if it is caused by me approaching a bend a bit too quick I know I must turn and I must look where I want to go, so instead of panick braking and heading towards the hedge, I look through the bend and know I need to get off the brakes at some point and turn the bike so I may choose a turn point based upon if I do not turn by then I will not make the corner.

So I look into the bend, turn in and then apply "throttle control rule number one" I am sure all this stuff has saved me on several occasions.

I am still pretty crap, but I know what I am doing wrong and how to improve (although it is slow progress) I recognise when I am getting out of my depth and how to control the panic and get back on track, then kick myself for being a dick in the first place.

Training is always good, both IAM type stuff, Roadcraft courses and handling courses, bike control improvement is as useful as roadcraft improvement, but religously applying science is fruitless on the road or track in my experience as there are always variable which cause you to alter your plans slightly.

Don't be blinded by science!

For road riding, I'm not to keen on the idea or the term 'turn in point'. That's very much a track based tool that has little relevance on the road, and to me smacks of braking points, Keith Codes 'two step' approach to cornering, faster lap times and all that. Good fun, a good science, but not for the road.

The faster you take a corner, by and large, the more you can't help but to apex it. (Back to Tomcats question..) If its a flat open corner, great - apex it!

I remember a while ago, being on quite a quick bit of road, long straight, with a ninety degree right hand bend at the end of it. There was a garden centre oposite the corner. As I approched it, quite quickly, something in my head (and its back to that old bikers instinct that somebody was talking about earlier) told me, just push it a little bit deeper into this right hand bend before you turn. Sure enough there was an old retired gent in is old Ford Anglia or summit, right on the apex of what was for him a left hand bend, about to turn across my path into the garden centre carpark. The bloke had done absolutely nothing wrong, it was just one of those scenarios that could have been a accident if a bike had gone steaming into the corner, a bit too quick and cut it a fraction.

I don't think 'there's my turn in point' when I ride. But i might well think, 'open up this bend' (this view) before I lean into the corner.

Semantics? playing with words? maybe! Just not too keen on the terminology 'Turn in point' ! :thumb

Just about my philosophy in my teachings... there are no apexes on roads on corners that you can't see round.

It's a sad fact that most people 'come in' too soon on corners that you can't see round, and are 'invited' to do so the quicker they are going! Often with disastrous consequences.

Can't see round a bend? Then stay wide, stay late... until the corner opens up!

Good thread :thumb

Just about my philosophy in my teachings... there are no apexes on roads on corners that you can't see round.

It's a sad fact that most people 'come in' too soon on corners that you can't see round, and are 'invited' to do so the quicker they are going! Often with disastrous consequences.

Good bit about "turn in", "braking point" and all that racing lingo...

Also experience tells you that if you push yourself on "closed" corners to the extent that you unecessarily take risks with what you can see then eventually you are going to come a cropper.

I did a couple of track days many years ago and i really missed this "extra" dimensions of traffic, junctions etc. I once asked a track orientated bloke "where do you turn in for X bend?" and he said "aim for the 1st tree at the side and turn in at the edge of the track" and he was right:augie

It is the ability to judge the "cushion" you give yourself that makes road riding so skillful. There is no need to go way outside of that when there are obvious dangers to it and when there are so many bits of road that are more favourable.

Still, one of the most fun rides i have had recently was on a pretty blind, bendy roller coaster of a back A road in Derbyshire in the pissing rain when riding Sheff to Cornwall. It was a challenge, kept me thinking and was great GS country to boot:D:thumb2

Thanks Giles, I am enjoying this thread a lot. I am a returning biker and passed my IAM test this year, now hoping to train as an observer. My ride to work is twisty Broads for 20 miles and I have modified my line over time on several corners. I am not totally in agreement with the quote above even though I know it standard IAM advice. While initially I tended to follow the system of staying out just left of the centre line on long left handers on too many occasions I had to steer quickly to my left to maintain a safe distance from oncoming traffic. I accept that I saw this traffic earlier by being out but with a short view the closing speed seems very rapid ( say 50 +40 = 90mph) and if both vehicles then reaction steer away away from each other this doesn't feel right. So now on these sweeping blind left handers I keep to the just right of centre of my carriageway ( position 2.5) on the assumption that a vehicle is about to hove into view which it frequently does. However there is no nervous flutter when I see the vehicle or any steering action by him we just pass each other at the same safe separation. I also find keeping in position 1 nearside through many blind right handers keeps a good separation from oncoming traffic. Any views on all of this ?

Thanks Giles, I am enjoying this thread a lot. I am a returning biker and passed my IAM test this year, now hoping to train as an observer. My ride to work is twisty Broads for 20 miles and I have modified my line over time on several corners. I am not totally in agreement with the quote above even though I know it standard IAM advice. While initially I tended to follow the system of staying out just left of the centre line on long left handers on too many occasions I had to steer quickly to my left to maintain a safe distance from oncoming traffic. I accept that I saw this traffic earlier by being out but with a short view the closing speed seems very rapid ( say 50 +40 = 90mph) and if both vehicles then reaction steer away away from each other this doesn't feel right. So now on these sweeping blind left handers I keep to the just right of centre of my carriageway ( position 2.5) on the assumption that a vehicle is about to hove into view which it frequently does. However there is no nervous flutter when I see the vehicle or any steering action by him we just pass each other at the same safe separation. I also find keeping in position 1 nearside through many blind right handers keeps a good separation from oncoming traffic. Any views on all of this ?

My observations above are not those of the IAM davnjud, but those of a motorcyclist of 47 years and a police motorcyclist for thirty of those years ;)

Over to Giles..

:beerjug:

I agree to a point with your left hander take as with a boxer and panniers you do feel "stuck out" a bit more. Also very important is the comfort that you can change direction instantly.

Countersteering is also linked with things like the correct gear. If you hold high gears low revs well into corners then you might find that you have too much momentum with not enough engine control. A well balanced bike will "countersteer" instantly to tighten your line.

It is one of the obsessions of the advanced brigade that they hold outside lines come what may. I have thought that an oncoming car wins over a parked car for hazard and an oncoming truck would make me change line:D It is amazing how "stuck" people will become in their theory:thumb

My observations above are not those of the IAM davnjud, but those of a motorcyclist of 47 years and a police motorcyclist for thirty of those years ;)

Over to Giles..

Micky - I can and do respect that -that's a lot of miles and incidents you must have witnessed :thumb

Micky - I can and do respect that -that's a lot of miles and incidents you must have witnessed :thumb

Cheers :thumb

To quote Giles above...

"I don't think 'there's my turn in point' when I ride. But i might well think, 'open up this bend' (this view) before I lean into the corner".

This is bang on ... it's not a question of where's my turn in point, we gell from corner to corner, hazard to hazard in a smooooth flowing line with no sudden and abrupt positioning ;)

'Turn in' means by definition a moment where we alter our course, but we don't ... we flow... we leave one corner on the correct line for the next. It's not rocket science ;)

Not wanting to hijack Giles' excellent thread, but speaking of Rocket Science here's an article I wrote some years ago .... Link

I think, I hope, we all kick towards the same goalposts of keeping ourselves rubber side down and between the hedges :comfort

Not wanting to hijack Giles' excellent thread, but ....

Not at all, NOT AT ALL!!

The more contributions, the better. And as we said earlier, a whole bunch of trained riders may still have their own, slightly differing take, on a particular issue.

Back to Davnjud's question, (and if your training as an observer, its good that these sort of discussions take place!...), the bottom line is this; if you're having to 'steer quickly to my left to avoid....oncoming....', then that is, well, wrong!! I go back to this idea that on a left hander you can't stay out, gambling in effect, and I see far too many riders doing exactly your scenario; 'feck me, get back quick there's an oncoming car'. WRONG!!

I do think it goes down to, as discussed, this idea of, riding a little bit black and white, and not taking it to the next, third, thinking, considered level. I also think there can be an element of show boating. I've been there!! Given some training, go out with the boys, show off and make a complete cock of yourself - sailing into left handers with oncoming traffic on full beam!! I've done it!!
And that to me is part of the learning curve - it doesn't justify it, but it's human nature that ones educational pendlum will swing too far one way, before finding that happy medium. Good! :thumb

Not at all, NOT AT ALL!!

The more contributions, the better. And as we said earlier, a whole bunch of trained riders may still have their own, slightly differing take, on a particular issue.

Back to Davnjud's question, (and if your training as an observer, its good that these sort of discussions take place!...), the bottom line is this; if you're having to 'steer quickly to my left to avoid....oncoming....', then that is, well, wrong!! I go back to this idea that on a left hander you can't stay out, gambling in effect, and I see far too many riders doing exactly your scenario; 'feck me, get back quick there's an oncoming car'. WRONG!!

I do think it goes down to, as discussed, this idea of, riding a little bit black and white, and not taking it to the next, third, thinking, considered level. I also think there can be an element of show boating. I've been there!! Given some training, go out with the boys, show off and make a complete cock of yourself - sailing into left handers with oncoming traffic on full beam!! I've done it!!
And that to me is part of the learning curve - it doesn't justify it, but it's human nature that ones educational pendlum will swing too far one way, before finding that happy medium. Good! :thumb

Good stuff! That is what I have felt over the years... the black and white mentality shown by some people as to this or that. That is where the Sunday run training can go awry (and even the Police:augie :hide)... it becomes a facimile of the instructors style rather than thought through.

I have also followed position constipated blokes and though "don't want something to come now" 'cos they are hung out to dry so to speak. I rarely ride in a group but I like follow some folk as it's better to keep an eye on 'em:D

Will be the number of the mainset radio issued to the bike as opposed to a personal one i would have thought :augie

Long time no speak big yin.......being from the frozen northlands I dont recognise the force id code.

Was just curious...........it could easily have been a controllers id.........I would get a strange reply if I'd P2P direct to some control room in englandshire........sorry for the hijack..........:)

Not at all, NOT AT ALL!!

thanks - I glad that my intuition ( but not training) has lead me to the correct positioning decision. It seems that there are ( at least ) two types of left handers

a) the shorter ones that you can see right though a lot earlier by keeping out

b|) longer ones where keeping out for view can compromise safety if the view/ speed trade off still does not extend far enough to be sure you are safely clear of unseen oncoming.

Long time no speak big yin.......being from the frozen northlands I dont recognise the force id code.

Was just curious...........it could easily have been a controllers id.........I would get a strange reply if I'd P2P direct to some control room in englandshire........sorry for the hijack..........:)

You might have got a random Kent copper on a P2P as the radio may have been receiving at the time thus displaying their (random bloke) issi at the time :D:D

The radio codes dont follow Force Codes so harder to ID ;)

Thanks for you answer Giles

When i asked about clarification on teh turning point , I was quoting directly from the thread

"If I exit a left hand bend thats followed by a right (as pictured below) then my (for want of a better word) turn in point is the point in my vision where the nearside verge lines up in my vision. "

The above paragraph is what the question was based on, not general right handers. I'm finding it difficult to understand what that means, sorry!

Thanks for you answer Giles

When i asked about clarification on teh turning point , I was quoting directly from the thread

"If I exit a left hand bend thats followed by a right (as pictured below) then my (for want of a better word) turn in point is the point in my vision where the nearside verge lines up in my vision. "

The above paragraph is what the question was based on, not general right handers. I'm finding it difficult to understand what that means, sorry!

It means that you stay out wide to the RHS (if it's safe to do so) until you can see all the near side verge on the straight after LH bend, then and only then can you make the decision to safely drift to a position along the nearside verge in preparation for the following RH bend.
You should then stay out wide to the LHS (if it's safe to do so) until you can see the off side verge on the straight after the RH bend, then and only then can you make the decision to safely drift to the position you require for the next bend....

Thank you
I was trying to understand it in terms of the following right hander.. my mistake

:thumb

001-1.jpg

As you can see, art was never my strong subject at school!

The bike in gold (hasn't come out very well..) is traveling right hander into left hander.

As a rough guide, we use the imagery of lining up the centre lines and the verge as our 'turn in' point.

But.... (big but!), we've already told Rasher off for using track lingo :)D) and I can only echo what Micky said, we gel our corners together, so 'turn in point' is not a term I like, but you get the jist. The view of that straight line imagery will appear when I'm on the blue asterisk and ideally, I want to turn in somewhere around that point. :thumb

As you can see, art was never my strong subject at school!
Your bike must be proper quick steering for those right angle lines. :D

As a rough guide, we use the imagery of lining up the centre lines and the verge as our 'turn in' point....
The view of that straight line imagery will appear when I'm on the blue asterisk and ideally, I want to turn in somewhere around that point. :thumb

No need to wait for the centre line tho, if you can see the other lane is clear (and will remain so long enough) for you to offside for the LHer after it.
Only need to wait for the centre line if there's something already oncoming or to stray out on the offside is not beneficial...

Yes ... you're right. Art wasn't your strong point ;)

May I?

No sudden or abrupt positioning... we stay for maximum view until that view opens up and then we flow/gell in to position for the next. We don't ride one hazard at a time, we see to the far distance and look for the smoothest safest way of getting there. If we can make three hazards/corners in to two then great, make three in to one then superb. This is far better to the central nervous system, tyres, brakes, chains and sprockets and for the pillion too!

OK .. some don't want to stay out too wide, but information is your biggest pal. Remember that left hander, you're leant over to the left, if you see anything intruding then a gentle push on the left bar will bring you away from it in a split second, no fuss, no drama ;)

If a lorry has broken down just round that corner, and you've taken a central position, you now have to move to the right of it, you're leant over to the left remember, this manoeuvre of having to go to the right of it will put you in to conflict with anything coming towards ya :eek:

Information is everything ....

Attachments

• Scan-101114-0001.jpg
    Scan-101114-0001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 435
This next one shows the typical yellow sam brown and sea boot socks over boots brigade, green triangle badges everywhere including their pyjamas :eek:

An Yes ... I'm an IAM examiner...

One hazard/corner at a time ... and I'll fail 'em :blast

They sweep and swoop from position to position, nearside for a right hander, white line for a left hander .... sudden and abrupt, they're only looking at the bit of tarmac in front of their front wheel. No head movement, no looking through a bend... little information, no flair ;)

Follow the line of my first diagram ... follow the line of the second diagram. A bike on the first line will be a clear bike's length in front of his buddy riding the second line after two corners, even when travelling at the same speed :eek:

Attachments

• Scan-101114-0002.jpg
    Scan-101114-0002.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 377

Back
Top Bottom