A simple fix for some brake servo problems..

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, i've spoken about a how i've fixed a few identical problems on servo units with a simple no cost fix, and how i was reluctant to post it on the internet for various business reasons., but with all the calls i get about servo problems time has come where people need the information.

If you have weak brakes on front or rear, or they drag/stick slightly, it MAYBE , only maybe, a blocked or restricted filter in the servo.

I've found it on a few bikes and it's cleared the problem, but the filters have been clean on other bikes and it wasn't the problem.

You want the rigid brake pipe holder on the servo unit -shown here in the picture below. Remove the circlip and pull out the rigid brake line so it is as in the picture.

2duh8cz.jpg

On the head are two flats, with an open ended spanner undo the rigid pipe holder and remove the holder -

kcmpad.jpg

On the end is a filter ( that's a surprise to a lot of people who you think should know :D) ), the one in the picture below is dirty and pretty restricted.

10ygc3s.jpg

Clean it up, put it back, renew the brakes and servo with new fluid and you could be one of the lucky ones and find your brakes working again all for 30 minutes work with no expensive parts or remedies.

And remember there are two of the pipe holder and filters on each brake circuit = two for the front, and two for the rear - Also bare in mind it doesn't work on every servo with the weak brake symptoms, but what have you got to lose.

The same filter cleaned through.

148saf.jpg

Thanks for that post it's obvious you could make a few bob by keeping this info to yourself. JJH

Wow! We so need folk to try this pre servoectomy to spread the word. There's nothing to loose. Don't know about anyone else, but the only wibble I have with my trouble-free '05 is the fear of the servo going south. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds plausible Neil but I think you should remind folk to change the seal in that fitting where the metal brake line goes into the fitting if they go down this route.
Its called a Quad ring & replacement is recommended every time the pipe is disturbed as this is the seal between the pipe & the fitting

Steppers, you are a gentleman so many thanks.

However FWIW, as others stated when you first mentioned a possible cheap servo fix ......I think you should have made this info avaliable via PM and a small payment for your trouble.
The commercial guys probably won't thank you.:rolleyes:

Steppers, you are a gentleman so many thanks.

However FWIW, as others stated when you first mentioned a possible cheap servo fix ......I think you should have made this info avaliable via PM and a small payment for your trouble.
The commercial guys probably won't thank you.:rolleyes:
You should or you should not.
What the hell !!!
Steptoe helps us.
I thank Steptoe for this and so SHOULD you

Pekka
:mmmm:mmmm:mmmm

Thanks

Steppers, you are a gentleman so many thanks. I would have thought if the little seal needed replaced Steptoe would have mentioned all of this in his report . Thankyou for helping the ordinary joe .
Geno

Nice one Steppers - a very generous gesture :thumb2

Don't get too excited. It's only been a success on a very very small percentage.

I'm just a little bit excited on behalf of servo bike owners :D - doesn't make much difference to my 1100.

However even if it doesn't work, it's got to be worth trying before considering other much more expensive options :thumb2

My rear caliper is sticking . R1150, 03 servo
Gave it the boot, infact moved it easily with my finger pressure and the wheel spins freely.
Gave the sliders a clean, pumped the cylinders in and out and gave them a clean and the retaining pin.
Stil binding and caliper getting hot.
Found this Thread but where are the photos ?

Back
Top Bottom