BMW 1200GS Adventure V's Gixxer 1000

Have to say I have never ridden a sports bike and always like the look of the Gixxer. Never really like the look or the riding position either.

Have to say thought that I agree with your comments about the GS. I can sit there all day not a care in the world (care on the road of course) pootling along effortlessly with the big german lass humming away between my legs. Never rushed always arrive relaxed. :D

+1

sports bikes: fast but uncomfortable.

GS: slow and comfy.

who knew? :nenau

You forgot sports tourers: fast and comfy(ish) :p

I still miss the power of my K1200S, especially when two-up with luggage :tears

I sold an unmarked Hyabusa and a pristine duc 999s to get my 2010 GSA. I have since sold a Duc hypermotard and i dont miss any of them. Yes they are faster but thats where the advantages end in my opinion.

The GSA is fast enough, very comfortable, you can actually see things out of the mirrors and you can do mega miles without your back and wrists aching after 10 minutes.

There are still 5 other bikes in the stable but i havent ridden any of them since i bought the GSA :eek:.

Ive probably owned 40 bikes in my 25 years of riding and the GSA is simply the best overall bike i have ever owned.

Why is this a sticky?

Its so the 'sporty lads' who dip in here occasionally, dont have to look too far to be tempted further into thoughts of 1200 ownership by the sheer comfort they provide.

I, being a complete raving idiot, did not realise that the different rider positioning between sports bikes and the GS type of machine would have any bearing on my comfort. It just goes to show eh. The things you discover in this place, its amazing.

Down ... Up, Down...Up, Down ... Up. I'm trying it on the couch. Up is definitely comfier than Down.

I will have to find other things that are comfier than other other things now.

Wooden floor with rug .... not very comfy. Sofa with padded cushions ... comfy !!
Feckin amazing !!
Table with mat ... not comfy. Seat with padding ... comfy !! Wow.

My experience ....

I'd 'sorted' my TRX850, R1 USD conversion, FCR39s, cast discs, Maggie radial pumper ... it was perfect for me.

Then I rode an 800 from CW which was ok, but getting back on the TRX just emphasised the scrunched up riding position of the TRX.

I bought an 800 and lasted 18 months

Since then though I've bought a track based GSXR750K1. Despite going back to the scrunch I love this beast. It's like a scalpel and is faster than any other bike I've ever ridden and, in an odd kind of GSXR way it's pretty comfortable.

Last weekend I got my first speeding ticket in 15 years :blast :eek: :JB but it's still fookin brilliant!

G

Just bought a GSA but have kept my Bandit 12, first shape, love it to much, been over Europe and Cezch, but the my wifes not comfy after an hour, so its being converted to a track bike when i have the need for that inline 4 grunt and pull, its still trying to wheelie in 2nd and its 10 years old :cool:

I will always have an inline four as I went from Lc's to them and love the way they just keeping revving and pulling, and mines and old donkey compared to new stuff, can't bring myself to part with it anyway.:tears, but the flexi ride of the boxer twin is to much to ignore, especially at work when i'm in a hurry in the wet!!!:ninja1:

I now ride a GSXR1000 for the last two years after selling my GS1200 after a nightmare of ownership fault after fault, If only BMW were as reliable as jap bikes I would not hesitate & get another GS, but after taking a look at this web site after a two year absense the same faults have still not been addressed.

I'm just about to get into GSA ownership, I want to do miles in comfort and keep my license, but I love my GixxerK. I've had her since new, sure newer rice rockets might be quicker, but I'm not. When I was a teenager it was my dream to own a gixxer, and i'll keep it for sure, as its immaculate, low miles, and worth far more to me than any dealer.
I've just ran a quote for it through Swintons and got quoted £45 TPFT after £30 cashback, so I'm definately keeing it.

my 2p worth.
Back in the day (80's), I had a Kwa Z1100, Suzi 1100 Katana, then bought a BMW r100. Had all 3 for @ 2 years however, I found very quickly, that both jap bikes were only used by my mates for breakfast runs and I used the beemer 90% of the time. Never really been back to jap stuff since.
I'd love to have that Katana now though.:blast

For me it was comfort that got me to buy my first GS back in 2003 :rob

I went to Assen with a mate, both of us on 929 Fireblades.... it absolutely killed my back, all the way there I was using fingertips on the throttle to try and straighten up ... my mate had no such problems. A bit of scientific comparison and we'd worked out that his arms were nearly 3" longer than mine... so the bars for him were that much closer...

Following year it was a mandarin GS for the trip.... no problems :thumb

I now ride a GSXR1000 for the last two years after selling my GS1200 after a nightmare of ownership fault after fault, If only BMW were as reliable as jap bikes I would not hesitate & get another GS, but after taking a look at this web site after a two year absense the same faults have still not been addressed.

I've had many bikes, and at the mo have a Tuono, which is pretty sit up, quite comfy and very fast. I like the look of the GS, and have been very tempted to have a test ride with a view to trading in the T. Having read many threads, as well as this one, I'm staring to change my mind. It does appear reliablity is not as good as BM dealers make out.

I never bought into the plastic rocket Gixer thing. My previous bike is a Yamaha Diversion 900 with various mods to overcome (some of) its budget parts.
I wanted the high riding position the GS offered, so why not get another manufacturer's adventure bike? Because they are all "me too" machines and they all have telefork suspension that dives on the brakes. If a GSA pulled up alongside me at the lights I would always have felt short-changed.

After about 6 weeks I love the GS. Its not perfect of course but they changes Im making are minor compared to what I would be doing to pretty much anything else.

Low power? Hmm.
I have not had any point where I needed more power. Overtakes are quick because I can see so much better what's going on ahead. The handling is amazing, I carry a lot more cornering speed, yet the bike always feels like it could easily have gone quicker. Ive had the front end wash out to the left during the recent heavy rain, a quick tug on the right bar stood the bike up and it carried on with zero drama. EVERY other bike i have owned would have either crashed or scared the s**t out of me. The Beemer didn't even wobble.

It also seems to be unfazed by gravel on country roads, but I dont have the balls to test the limits. Nearly 40 years of riding bikes with normal suspension has taught me to never ever (ever!) trust dirty road surface. That said my brother on his well sorted Aprilia Pegaso with new tyres cant keep up on bends. If we swap bikes he goes carefully and I cant keep up either. On the roads I'm talking about power isnt the issue light handling and grip are far more important. The GSA absolutely isnt light, but you wouldn't know when its moving. The Pegaso feels light but cant keep up in the handling stakes.

you havent lived then :D

:stupid Everybody should ride something like that at least once, and really open the taps, somewhere like ... Isle of Skye, not long after you get off the ferry from Mallaig ...:augie:augie Dont know what you mean officer :nenau horses for courses of course...

I've ridden crotch rockets but while they do warp speed in a blink they and corner by thought alone. In reality they can't do much better than lesser bikes. UK road surfaces etc just don't allow sports bikes to shine. Their real place is on a track with good surface. On roads they are too compromised for me. I also want to ride for more than 30 mins. On a sports bike I spent more time getting over the ride than actually riding.

I embarrassed a few sports bike riders with the Divvie. It could hustle and corner much better than it ever should so why suffer the race track compromises.

In recent years I've owned (amongst others) :

Aprilia SL 1000 (with ohlins front & rear and Oz wheels)
Ducati 999
MV Agusta F4 1000
Gixxer 1000
Aprilia RSVR Factory

Throughout this period I've had an RT1150 and K1200GT for comparison.

Although the Italian bikes looked stunning the Gixxer stuffed them as an 'everyday' bike. I used it many times to commute to London in heavy traffic. It pretty much did everything well and was 100% reliable in the time I owned it. The only thing I didn't try was a 'proper' long distance tour.

In the end I sold it because I simply could not ride it within licence keeping speeds! It would pull 100 in 2nd and I regularly found myself over 100 on a short dual carriageway and 140+ on the motorway. Never once found it 'threatening' at these sorts of speeds either. I just knew my licence would go if I kept it so I traded it for a Buell that I thought would give me all the fun but at lower speeds. Unfortunately I grew to hate it and traded for a full on RSVR Factory just to see if it really was as good as the reviews.

I soon found out that it was a seriously uncomfortable bike - did some things well but, for me, not in the same league as the Gixxer.

The RSVR has now gone and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a GS or possibly a GSA. However, I have to own up that I'd be tempted if a really nice Gixxer 750 appeared for sale. . .

Back
Top Bottom