sump guard bolts?

seadog

Reaction score
i have just done an oil change on the new (to me) gs 04, two of the bolts holding the sump guard on have sheared through the rubber damper, i have done a search but are these readily available as parts??

cheers
mike

It is a silly design but they need to be there because hitting a rock with the pan rigidly mounted would pass the shock directly onto the sump.

James Sherlock also stock them.

You sure you will get the old ones out? I seem to remember that people were struggling with that (bolt part in the sump breaking, "dremeling" it out etc.). Just wondering :nenau

If you got them out and know a trick how to do so, just share it :D

You sure you will get the old ones out? I seem to remember that people were struggling with that (bolt part in the sump breaking, "dremeling" it out etc.). Just wondering :nenau

If you got them out and know a trick how to do so, just share it :D

Good quality locking pliers (molegrips) with sharp teeth. The bit of bolt left in the sump has a big flat head (that was once bonded to the rubber). Grip this across the edge with your pliers and wind it out.
Peasy :thumb2

I haven't tried to take the stubs out yet as I am on a refresher course, however I will post when it's done;)

well, that was easy!

quick update, tackled the stubs with a squirt of wd40, gave it 10 mins to soak in then used a pair of pipe pliers on them, replaced the two rectangular back ones and the round front one. 35 min job done.:thumb

Just got the same problem with mine - all the bolts sheared off with the rubber being the bit that failed.

Tackling it tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom