Workshop jobs

Crapaud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Although we generally adhere to the Steptoe policy of not planning for anything:) it may be helpful to know if anyone has any larger projects that they want to attempt over the weekend so that we can allocate the workshop space accordingly. If its just simple things like carb balancing then that is easy but bigger jobs might take a bit longer and take up time on the lifts. Simple services are no problem eg fluids and filter changes etc

I'll start:) eg
R80/7 RT Pink Lady's bike. I will hopefully have it almost complete by then and only require help from Rob Farmer for connecting up all the electrics.

R100RS. This is running fine now but has tiny leak from pushrod seals so I may as well replace the pushrod tubes for stainless ones. Hopefully, I will get this done before the weekend to not take up workshop space.

We can change tyres here if anyone wants that. We have a couple of air compressors and I'm reasonably handy with the tyre levers.:)

Let us know of anything you are planning and we can make sure we have all the neccessay special tools etc in place.

Will there be Tossers Tipple? :ChrisKelly

I have an unopened bottle of the Tosser's Tipple that I could be persuaded to bring :D

Planning on overhauling a pair of carbs off the G/S so would be looking for bright corner and some guidance from a learned one.

Just a full service on my R80.

If time and bench available, replace the neutral switch.

I'll contact Sherlocks re parts.

Couple of minor oil leaks to identify, for another day.

push rod tubes

May like to do push rod tubes as mentioned earlier Sid.

Hopefully pick up on way through and early arrival should help get things out the way to then give others chance on arrival. :thumb2

you got 6v HT leads then :D

No , but the two leads which power mine have to clip to a 12v battery, a seperate cable clips over the HT lead.
When Packer used mine I had to run jump leads from my car battery to the strobe connected to his bike HT leads :thumb2

No , but the two leads which power mine have to clip to a 12v battery, a seperate cable clips over the HT lead.
When Packer used mine I had to run jump leads from my car battery to the strobe connected to his bike HT leads :thumb2

You dont need a 6v one then :bounce1:D

I'm sure that there weill be some 12 volt sources.

If we hide the battery that's supposed to go into Pink Lady'as machine until we're done...............................:D

I always have a few ex-Land Rover batteries around fully charged as SWMBO uses them for the horses electric fences.

Don't mention the battery bought for her R80! That found its way into my R100RS along with several other bits I needed to complete my bike last week. I might be living dangerously.:D
Apparently, the clock and voltmeter in her fairing no longer work but everything on my RS works 100% now.:augie

Her bike is safe now as I have Proff's R75 alongside but I think he knows which bits are on his. I was too slow to notice the new K&N filter in his airbox before he noticed it.:)

I have spent several hours in last week working on her machine and it is finally nearing completion. I had to rebuild the front end and fit new forks as some of the fittings were seized solid. Also eventually got the front brakes to work after a lot of time, money and effort. New pistons in calipers, new pads and all new brake fluid.

This bike of hers will be like Trigger's broom by the time it is finished, every single nut, bolt and washer will have been replaced. Bought a load of new washers and stainless nuts and bolts today so that everything is as new. Even managed to get the domed headed nuts in stainless that attach the front mudguard.:) Also fitted a set of Krauser K2 panniers and fittings today. Ordered a period original pressed steal number plate. I dread to think what this bike has cost me in total but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I must take some photos of the bike coming together.:)

Bench time

How long does it take to re-grease the gearbox drive?

And will I need to replace the drive shaft boot? :nenau

Also a bit of expert help/avice wouldn't go a miss too.

I ask 'how long' because Jill will no dought want to be riding around the lanes, rather than have her bike on the ramp while it's serviced :blast

Val.

"How long does it take to re-grease the gearbox drive?"

Is that a bit like asking, "How many tossers does it take to change a [head]light bulb?"

Sumprat

Back
Top Bottom