Are they obsolete

Phil W

Reaction score
I got a Quest and its not locating me anymore, looking on here I guess its the flip up antenae would be the most likely cause. I guess I can get a plug in one but do they work well on the bike. I did phone Garmin support but they wont look at it now as its no longer a GPS they support. Is it so obsolete that I cant get it fixed as I dont really want to shell out for a new GPS that will also be obsolete in a couple of years
Any private refurbishers??

It's a common fault and easily fixed with a plug in aerial:thumb

As for it being obsolete... I preferred my GPS60 to all the GPS I have had since

GPS60C
Quest
Nuvi 550

Listed above in the order I owned them and the order in which I preferred them too:thumb

I suppose when I get back into some money I will change again.

So long as it still works, a plug in antenna with a MCX (not MMCX/mini MCX) plug, will sort it out. Right angled plug is probably better depending on how you have it mounted. Some eBay sellers let you specify along with the length of the lead (did when I bought one a few years ago anyway).

Assuming that we're talking about the original Quest, not the Quest II; The Quest is a great unit, nice and compact. It's only short comings are lack of memory space (243MB for Euro model, 115MB for US model) which significantly limits the amount of mapping data that can be installed at any one time. And running non NT mapping the last map update was in 2009 so the lack of new road detail might be becoming an issue though this obviously depends on where you ride and your tolerance of such things.

got my antenna from maplin, works fine with the quest I and it's mounted UNDER the beak - so not even visible.

Gives better reception than the standard antenna, and the only time it's been 'lost' was at the top of a swiss mountain with clear blue skies (not a cloud in sight). I recokon it was getting too much data!:augie

Mine seems to be going the same way, most of the time it woks fine but will occasionally lose the signal even in an open area, often just moving the antenna up and down a bit will clear it.

Am I being oversimplistic to think this may be just a dirty contact? If so is there a way I can sort it?

Thanks for any help

Am I being oversimplistic to think this may be just a dirty contact? If so is there a way I can sort it?

I think your correct that it's likely to be the connection between antenna and the main board breaking down somewhere. Does it have a ribbon cable, if so that'll probably be the culprit. Not sure how to suggest repairing that though.

There are pics of the internals on the Elsinga Quest pages that might help you.

I think your correct that it's likely to be the connection between antenna and the main board breaking down somewhere. Does it have a ribbon cable, if so that'll probably be the culprit. Not sure how to suggest repairing that though.

There are pics of the internals on the Elsinga Quest pages that might help you.

Not sure what sort of cable it is, can't see anything visible from the outside and nothing I see on that link makes me feel like opening the thing up to look inside.

My Quest went the same way a few years ago. I keep the antenna down all the time and it's fine. It can lose signal sometimes when I'm in central London, but it did the same when the antenna was fully functioning and upright.

most of the Quest owners are obsolete as well :comfort

Mine keeps loosing satellite's even with the external aerial in
it probably needs replacing but Its my gps of choice :nenau
what to replace it with thats the question :eek

Mine keeps loosing satellite's even with the external aerial in
it probably needs replacing but Its my gps of choice :nenau
what to replace it with thats the question :eek

Tuned-in was the 'boy' on repairing 'em and I'm darn sure he posted a thread on how to repair, otherwise external gps antenna was a solution.

The last batch of Quest were sold thru .. 18 months ago ? .. as I recall and Garmin bike cradle is no more although the GA15 cradle is and so is the QPAC charger.

Also worth looking for secondhand unit.

Depending upon what features/functions you want, if its basic with UK/euro maps, try with nuvi then work up.

Back
Top Bottom