Final preparations

Crapaud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, final thoughts for the event.

1. Directions. I've had several PMs asking "Where is it?". (Sorry, I've been away in Wales all weekend and only just got back home again).
Its in North Devon, just south of Bideford. Get yourself to the Union Inn
http://www.theunioninndevon.co.uk/FindUs.html
and we will be sign posted from there. For the nervous amongst you, you can send me another PM but don't forget that mobile phones don't work within a 3 mile radius of the secret ALF Headquarters.:D

2. Attendees.
Only people listed on the "I'm in" thread will be admitted. It is a PRIVATE event at a PRIVATE location, ie my house. This is more exclusive than Royal Ascot, Royal Wedding, State Openning of Parliament etc etc. It doesn't matter if you are a blood relation of Charley Boorman/BHT or your dad owns BMW, if your name isn't on the list, you do not get in.:D
No exceptions. NB it doesn't mean that you have to turn up on an Airhead, but if you are not an agreed attendee then you will be politely killed and body disposed of in the woods.

3. You can arrive whenever you like. We will put the signposts up from Friday morning.

4. Workshop jobs. There is no formal bookings for jobs to be done. We will have four bike bench/lifts and a couple of smaller stands. This is not a BMW official approved facility so we work at our own pace. The theme of the entire weekend is "Quality, not quantity" so each job takes as long as it takes. In the worst scenario, you bike can remain here if you have a major job that needs more time.:)

5. Parts from Sherlocks. I've noted the other thread and I'll take my car to James later in the week and collect everything that has been ordered and paid for. In previous years, James has very kindly collected additional bits for us on the Saturday pm to enable us to finish off any last minute requirements. I'm hoping he will join us again on the Saturday night.

6. "Bring and buy table". Someone suggested this ages ago and it sounds like a good idea. I have several airhead items that are surplus to requirements and a few "freebies". We will have a table in the corner where you can dump your items with a suggested price/offers together with name of seller. It won't be organised, you sort it out yourselves.:)

7. Raffle. We won't be having a fucking raffle.:D

8. Music. I tried to book Staus Quo but they were busy and they don't own Airheads so fuck em.:) I have wired up additional speakers to my £5 music centre and any old CD can be played. If you have any particular music that you want to hear, then bring it with you and we can either laugh at your appalling taste and/or put it on to play.:D

9. Cost etc.
Just to repeat for the hard of thinking...
This is possibly the best value event on the UKGSer calendar:).
I'll leave it for past attendees to comment on this.
The food and drink is costed out at near to cost price. This is a slightly debatable issue between me and Proff as he wants to have the very best of everything and charge the minimum cost. He believes that we can rely on the generousity of Airhead Tossers to make the event a success. Unfortunately, I used to be an accountant in a former life and I always worry about the unit cost vs marginal income return:)
Basically, we only charge for the food and drink consumed and that is at the minimum cost. There is NO charge for:
i) Camping. Its on my back lawn which is almost level. I'll even cut the grass in neat lines to make it look pretty. You can ride your bike up to your tent or if the weather is bad (please God, No) you can park your bike in the stable block.
ii) Bunk house. For the Elderly and Infirm (and Paul Wong), there is limited Bunkhouse beds available. I have four beds permanently set up in the games room plus two additional bed/settees in the corner of the workshop. I think my own Wobbly box is available although I think I may have offered that to Sir Robert Of Farmer who is down to wire up PinkLady's R80.
iii). Shower room/bathroom. You are welcome to wash away the smell of wee by use of the shower room/ bathroom.
iv). Workshop use. We want people to use and enjoy the full workshop facilities. I hope I have thought of everything that might be required in terms of tools and equipment. In addition to the usual bits, I have added:
- 2 compressors
- air tools
- Ultra sonic cleaner for Carbs
- Sand blasting facility.
- Tyre changing tools including wheel balancer and bead breaker.
NB. It is listed "At Tosser's Discretion" to chuck in anything they want into the pot at the end of the event. We do NOT charge a "site fee" for turning up.

10. Charidee. This year we have chosen a local charity that works very hard to raise funds. They have lots of little old ladies holding all sorts of coffee mornings/ jumble sales to raise money to take the severe handicapped on respite holidays. Most years they do not raise enough money, so they only have the holidays every other year.:( I realy want to make sure that we do them proud this year and enable them to have a holiday away.:)

Many thanks.

Any final questions?

Sid

As Sid has stated, the entire WeeKend operates on trust...:beerjug:
I can't be arsed to stand behind a bar collecting money, and neither can Sid...
He forgot Wobblybox parking in the Sandschool which is levelest part of the plot :D:rob
I'm collecting T'Shirts and Mugs tomorrow.:bounce1
Regarding the quality and cost of Booze, Cider, food etc, I usually don't inform Sid of total outlay until after the event as he does worry :comfort.....

We are looking forward to seeing you all...........................

No doubt that "someone" [or two] Jaber, Mick DB, etc will turn up even earlier than Friday:augie to do the Swallows nappy change etc, plus others will probably leave later than the Sunday, Sid and Ann, are as everyone would agree,:thumb2 wonderful hosts..:bow..... :D

Regarding MUSIC, if you can [or think you can] play any instrument, bring it, we've had some cracking evenings in t' barn ..

Last edited:
Sid if there's an old fart in need of the top bunk I'm happy to bring me tent:thumb2

No doubt that "someone" [or two] Jaber, Mick DB, etc will turn up even earlier than Friday:augie to do the Swallows nappy change etc, plus others will probably leave later than the Sunday, Sid and Ann, are as everyone would agree,:thumb2 wonderful hosts..:bow..... :D
I've been keeping an eye on the XCWeather site http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/North_Devon for the last few days, and the forecast for North Devon has been varying enough to make me think of coming down a day earlier so as to avoid rain and spending the extra night at a local Travelodge for instance. I'm not keen on being wet and misted up for getting on for three hundred miles.

With Proff's comments above am I right in thinking that perhaps I could turn up at Sid's rather than a Travelodge and possibly make myself useful changing Swallow nappies (not that I've a lot of experience of the craft, but, hey, we all had to learn once :)) I'm sure there will be lots of last-minute jobs that need doing. Would that be OK with you?

John

My ferry gets into Liverpool around 10.00am on Thursday. I was planning to chug down to somewhere near Bristol and then have an overnight and arrive at Sid's on Friday morning.

If you want to form up a convoy, just let me know.

Dave

Happy for people to turn up on Thursday anytime.:)

Yes, there are still jobs that need doing. I've been working all hours for last week trying to get place tidied/cleaned up and sorted out so any extra help would be appreciated.

Those arriving early can use bunk house on Thursday night if they wish. We can go to local pub on Thursday night.

Might have to put the signposts out on Thursday now.

I've been keeping an eye on the XCWeather site http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/North_Devon for the last few days, and the forecast for North Devon has been varying enough to make me think of coming down a day earlier so as to avoid rain and spending the extra night at a local Travelodge for instance. I'm not keen on being wet and misted up for getting on for three hundred miles.

With Proff's comments above am I right in thinking that perhaps I could turn up at Sid's rather than a Travelodge and possibly make myself useful changing Swallow nappies (not that I've a lot of experience of the craft, but, hey, we all had to learn once :)) I'm sure there will be lots of last-minute jobs that need doing. Would that be OK with you?

Happy for people to turn up on Thursday anytime.:)

Yes, there are still jobs that need doing. I've been working all hours for last week trying to get place tidied/cleaned up and sorted out so any extra help would be appreciated.

Those arriving early can use bunk house on Thursday night if they wish. We can go to local pub on Thursday night.

Might have to put the signposts out on Thursday now.

We're expecting to arrive Thursday afternoon 4ish.

I'd like to get Jill's bike on the ramp early, so she can ride it Friday.

Val.

John

My ferry gets into Liverpool around 10.00am on Thursday. I was planning to chug down to somewhere near Bristol and then have an overnight and arrive at Sid's on Friday morning.

Dave
Hi, piebaps, that does sound good but I will be travelling down diagonally from the other end of North Wales to the Severn Crossing, and, with the best will in the world I will never manage to set off early enough to meet up with you at a reasonable time at the bridge. The road I'll be using, the A470 mainly, zigzags eratically all over the place on the way down North to South, and while it's not too bad as a ride it's not much good for actually getting anywhere quickly. I'll PM you tomorrow, (Wed.) but it's going to take a while to empty my PM box.

I'm setting off in half an hour. But hen I am on a /2:)

I'm also going via Liverpool to see people, Tewkesbury overnight, Gloucester and Caerphilly Thursday, and somewhere in th emiddle of Devon nowhere Friday.

It will king of make a mess of the 400 miles per year average that WO has achieved in 42 years. There again over 1,000 miles since April has done that already.:D

Quality not quantity.:thumb TT en route.

Looking forward to the weekend. Must go, I'm supposed to be in Liverpool for 11:00hrs. It's raining:(

John

Dave

We are only a maximum of 2 hours from Bristol, so you are welcome to press on and reach us on Thursday night. Same for anyone else on the road on Thursday. :)
Down M5 to Jn 27 then up to Barnstaple, Bideford then south to Stibb Cross and signposted from there.

Latest weather forecast does not look good for Friday.:(

Thanks Sid, I seen the forecast and may well just do that - at least I won't have to pitch a tent in the p*ssing rain:D

Hi, piebaps, that does sound good but I will be travelling down diagonally from the other end of North Wales to the Severn Crossing, and, with the best will in the world I will never manage to set off early enough to meet up with you at a reasonable time at the bridge. The road I'll be using, the A470 mainly, zigzags eratically all over the place on the way down North to South, and while it's not too bad as a ride it's not much good for actually getting anywhere quickly. I'll PM you tomorrow, (Wed.) but it's going to take a while to empty my PM box.

No worries John. The 470 down through Brecon is a great run - in nice weather. Went down to Bridgend that way for the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

See you at Sid's - That forecast looks grim.

My plan at the mo is to potter down there using A and B roads as dont like the motorway.looking at about four hours (ish) so what with the weather am thinking that i will leave at first light on friday morning.Look forward to meeting you all.

"This is more exclusive than Royal Ascot"

Oh, I've been invited to and done that several times (oh and the Royal Windsor Horse Show). I can vouch that the Wee-kend is much more of a high class event.

Le Rat de Sump

Bike's loaded and ready to roll. one more sleep:clap Well a half sleep really as the ferry check in is at 6.00am:eek:

Hi Sid,

Paul (Cobbster) and I leaving here at 10.00, see ya later!

Turn up anytime from now on.:)

I'm taking MickDB1 up to the builders merchants in a minute which is behind the Union Inn pub at Stibb Cross.
http://www.theunioninndevon.co.uk/FindUs.html

We will put the signs on there to direct people from there to our house. If stuck/lost wait at pub. Nigel the Landlord will make you very welcome. We will probably go up to the Union Inn tonight for food etc. If anyone is arriving late tonight, then call in to the pub first as we may all be there.

Still got thousands of things to do today.:(

Back
Top Bottom