BMW Alarm Retrofit

Roymondo

Reaction score
Is this a DIY job, or dealer-only?

The bike is a 2011 GSA if it makes any difference.

The bike needs to be programmed for sure, but I don't know if the loom will be there for all bikes- you might want to check under the rear carrier.

I was under the impression that the alarm was a retro fit by the dealer anyway?:nenau

When I spec'd one for my new GSA it came without and NOG fitted it.

Asked the same question at Bahnstormers were I recently bought my 12gsa, was told £300 fitted.....

Dealer only, it needs programming but its rubbish anyway so dont bother. This is from someone who got one fitted to the bike and wish I had saved the cash.

I had one on my RT and was stupid enough to spec one on the GS. It shuts itself off after 7 days???? My son has just put a thatcham class 1 alarm on his kwak and it's the dogs dangly bits, plus it's recognised by the insurance companies for a discount. I found only BMW insurance would recognise the BMW alarm.

I am no fan of the BMW alarm but it doesn't switch itself off after 7 days, only the flashing light goes off. It will shut off when your battery goes bellow a certain level (mine was still armed after 4 weeks during the winter) but I don't see that as being a bad thing as you should be able to start your bike even after a good while.
The BM alarm cant be thatcham 1 because the immobiliser isn't part of the alarm, its part of the main ECU so I wouldn't particularly hold that against it. What is rubbish about it is the volume of the siren.
All that said I have come to the conclusion that no alarm is worth a sook unless it has a sim in it and it pages/sms you because the public doesn't give a damn if an alarm is going off. They just hear it as an annoyance and walk on by. Even an sms is useless unless you close to the bike.
Buy a couple of good locks and hope the tea leaf really doesn't want the bike because nothing will stop 4 guys and a van having it.

I have to say I've always had the BMW alarms simply for the tilt sensor in the car park at work, never thought of installing a Datatool or a meta? Has anyone done this?

I was asked by a mate the other day 'that BMW alarm any good then?'.
Had the last GS1200 for 5 years before selling and this one is 18 months old, both had the alarm and (not wanting to tempt fate) I haven't lost either to the scum that steal bikes. So I guess it's ok then.

I was asked by a mate the other day 'that BMW alarm any good then?'.
Had the last GS1200 for 5 years before selling and this one is 18 months old, both had the alarm and (not wanting to tempt fate) I haven't lost either to the scum that steal bikes. So I guess it's ok then.

I keep a pound of butter in the fridge.

It's to keep the elephants away.

It works :thumb2

Installed myself on R1250GS Rallye TE 2019 for around £44.00

Easy !

Hi, can I ask what alarm You put on your bike please?.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

..... the wiring for the original alarm is on the bike

dealers no longer sell the kit and they have silly prices
£160 for the module and £90 each for a remote fob

on the internerd people sell them secondhand for about 100 with both bits - you should be able to fit and nothing will happen - then its just a10 min job with motoscan to tell the ZFE and the Cluster its there

if you can't pair fobs there's a feature to wake the bike up so it will - but its not on the motoscan app yet - he added to his list last week...
there is an auto procedure to code the bike using the GS911 - and they have the separate paring feature working
seems main BM dealers have forgotten how to do the job - they have to get the old tool out of the cupboard

its fits under the rear of the bike - pull the mudguard down - if going secondhand buy new batteries and fit them at the same time >£10 at screwfix

if ur quick

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom