Bilco's TAT tour 2011

Rest day today, I went to a local bike workshops and had an oil change, air filter clean and a few other general jobs done, about most of the day watching this.

Tomorrow is a 300 mile day, I managed tobuy so elbow pads as like a fool that I am I have taken them out of my jacket back home, also some tined googles coz they looked cool.

Everybodies gone to bed and I have just moved the bikes into the outside foyay bit as a guy was hanging around them a few minutes ago.

We have made up a box of unwanted gear and its being sent on to the finish, it will make a lot of difference as we all know we take far to much to start with.

When I get home Im going to lay out all the stuff i have used and photo it for the next trip just to remind me.

I have had a bit of an expensive two days with both sets of wheel bearings going, Im not making that mistake again, change all before leaving weather you need to or not.

So away tommorrow 7am pull out of here,

Bakes

Nice one Bakes - stay (mostly) upright :thumb2

, well we were running well today, I fitted body armer, with 300 miles to go we started early, 7pm ride out, I have a new rear tyre and the trails are now fast, off we go.

Some fantastic scenary today, with mile are mile gravel and powedeed sand.

350 miles today with around 300 on the dirt. Will get round to posting pictures when I'm a little less shattered.we did 2 sections today to give us an extra day in Colorado which makes perfect sense.We are in a small town called Liberal, Kansas which has precisely fuck all going for it apart from a bar, a chinese and a half decent motel but that is just what we need after a day like today:beerjug:

We;ve all had a couple of beers and a Chinese buffet and now hitting the sack. Bakes will be dreaming of his bike/cow interface :eek: He was riding about 20ft behind me and as we past a clump ofg trees, I guess I must have spooked the cow and it just ran out and Bakes couldn't do anything. He ponced about for an hour having a rest while we all worried about his health and once again, Skygod sorted the old boy out and ran with him on the road whilst he got all his brain cells back in the right order.

Heading for the rockies tomorrow for some real fun:thumb

YEP, 360 MILES today fantastic views, and fast fast fast, the 525 was at its best, the roads just went on and on into the horizon, with trails of dust most beautifull.

We all pushed on, and buy 10 about 100 miles covered, a great bakr stop in a small town, and we are sourounded by folks who want to know whats going on.

I went for a trip at thr front with Bilks, there is a pecking order as you woulld guess and Im` 2nd to last with Gary at the rear, with the roads opening up as with the bike.

I find myself at the front much to the dissgust of the pecking order, anyway, there I am with Bilks running up 2nd when I see a lone cow up a lane no problem we pass.

Then out from under a tree on the inside riding line pops out its mate, all I can remember is the thing looking back at me at the KTM hits it and I go down.

Thats all I remember for 40 minutes, 40 minutes lost, bikes a mess but ridable, and the cow was seen limping off.

I carried on the road for 50 miles with Gary ,and we met the others again and we finish the days ride together,

so cool future dinner talk hitting a cow in Oklahoma, anyway a fantastic day even with a bent bit or two on the old girl.

spots working well:thumb

We always had a rule when riding on bike trips lasting more than a week, that if someone hit a cow, the third person behind him was responsible for all food and drink bill for said person for the next two days... have you guys implemented that rule? :beerjug:

Flippin 'eck :eek

Never mind body armour Bakes - you need one of those airbag suits :D

Have a good one tomorrow :thumb2

I think Bakes is lost :D

Attachments

• bakes.jpg
    bakes.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 721
Did the tracker end up around the cow's neck?

:confused:

nO ITS on the bike in car park hotel it running ok yesterday so left it on as you tend to keep checking it on route at least i know its running so i left it on, 250 miles today, Im fine just in case you might wish to know.

Just jaw ache as new helmet still new, that took a bash, bike fine just roadbook bracket bent.

5.30am here

Very entertaining report, thanks to all contributors for taking us along! :clap :clap :clap

The whole lot looks very tempting indeed, Chris, I'll watch this space for next year... :thumb2

Holy cow, Steve! You should have learnt that lesson in South America already: donkeys, sheep and llamas are scared of the engine noise and run away from you; cows are just dumb and completely oblivious to what's going on around them - once they have set off from A to B they won't stop for anything. (Had a close encounter in Bolivia myself...).

Glad you are ok and hope your aches will disappear soon!

Wishing you all a great trip and no further falls - apart from contributing to the amusement for the rest of the group, of course... :augie

Any contributions for donations of med kit greatly appreciated. I'm getting through it on this trip:eek:

They don't want a medic they need a Full A and E unit:D

It's an epic trip guys:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom