R80st register - your photos please

Nice to see an ST that hasn't been changed into a G/s. Lovely looking bikes and so much better than a G/s. Getting increasingly hard to find especially in that condition.

How did it get an MOT with a dual seat and no rear foot pegs?

He may of put them back on for the MoT, I've got them in a big box of parts and spares, but he never rode with a pillion. I can never get why some people turn them into a GS either, after all it's much eaiser to find a nice GS than it is a nice ST.

Hey.

Very nice. Is it all original and unrestored? How many miles?

Sensible twin front brake mod.

Lots of stainless?

Looks like some of the alloy parts, (fork sliders, rear wheel hub) have been powder coated?

Don't understand the sidestand mod.

Hey.

Very nice. Is it all original and unrestored?

It was restored about 15 years ago, and the last owner brought it back up to this standard over the last three years.

How many miles?

Sensible twin front brake mod.

:D

Lots of stainless?

Lots. :thumb2

Looks like some of the alloy parts, (fork sliders, rear wheel hub) have been powder coated?

Some like the hubs, but the fork sliders are bare alloy, just brought back up with a lot of effort, soft wire brush and petrol apparently.

Don't understand the sidestand mod.

Previous owner found the position of the original sidestand difficult to use from the seat, which due to his arthritis he needed to.

'''''

I've seen that bike a lot in this part of the world! (But only in dry weather!)

How did it get an MOT with a dual seat and no rear foot pegs?
Just depends where you take it, my G/S is the same but manages it!

Here's mine
60f076f4f6e5b9c1b093a3b477b6f4de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a few more pics. I've owned the bike since last summer and 3000 miles later, can't stay off it! Trips around Dorset coast, Devon and Cornwall and a local run on New Years Day included.
18a0de1ec35c635df8b3bb85032bec92.jpg
e926eae4c33b7bf6efc7cec01b7802f1.jpg
1e18fe20bfbc9cd5c56550024de5b08d.jpg
37209d8dcd3430d6f923260fc054a313.jpg
e42bab943c547a2b9ff549e1868018e2.jpg
a3123717ac5384eebf83ad93dba9e402.jpg
d08b00b99bcb4509993a722369162eba.jpg

Nice ST Mark and nice to see one so well looked after. So many were butchered to make G/s copies that they've become a very rare bike in their own right.

Thanks Rob. However all credit goes to the previous owner(s). All I've done is changed the tyres and tubes, one of which was 19 years old despite good tread. Also oil, filter and plugs. Then just cleaning and polishing, especially to keep the salt off after these winter rides. The ST has grown on me, more than any previous bike, and I'm now looking forward to an organised trip on the continent in the summer.

Happy riding

I've had this one for 12 years

I was going to wait until it's finished - but hey, I can always post another one. In the meantime, here's a pic of me trying to decide what to do next...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,004
SPOTTED THIS FOR SALE ON EBAY TODAY ITEM NO 301872764185 !

My first BMW was a R80ST which I had 22 years ago, and after looking on and off for a couple of years for another, I finally found one. Not been very far on it yet, but all seems well. I don't think it'll be coming out again until the salt's gone though.

dypk.jpg

vb2t.jpg

v0st.jpg

6qop.jpg

0xbg.JPG

mxhr.jpg

a0h3.JPG

w2qt.jpg

y7ny.JPG

pxe5.jpg

v6gp.jpg

x4mp.jpg

gjos.jpg

It's mine, and still don't know if I should keep it or sell it, I just keep dithering. :blast In reality I should just get it out and ride it more, I know it's the right thing to do.

In an ideal world I would keep it - I wager you will never have another one like it!

But of course the world isn't ideal is it? Dilemma!

You could advertise it on here (if you havent already) for free, at least it would most likely go to another enthusiast who would look after it. Perish the thought it got into the hands of the hipsterbobbercustomiser crowd....

You could advertise it on here (if you havent already) for free....
I did consider it, but decided I couldn't face all the posts telling me it was over priced, that the wheels had been painted, that the hub had been painted, that it's got the wrong rocker covers on, my lawn needs mowing and fence needs painting etc, etc, whilst having no intention of buying it. If it doesn't sell at the price I'm asking then the decision is made and I'll keep it, it would be too cheap to sell for less and worth more to me to keep and enjoy.

Perish the thought it got into the hands of the hipsterbobbercustomiser crowd....
Forgive me Father for I have sinned - I did consider modifying it. :eek: I saw this bike on the Siebenrock stand at Cologne a few years back and really liked it, so was quite tempted by something similar.

UZF5Xn.jpg

Also spotted it on your Winding Roads site as well....GLWTS!

r80 st

I have an R80 ST, its dead tatty. bought recently for £2500 ( I was robbed)

I don't know how to load photos, so you can see what it looks like.............what's URL ?

I rode an R65 years ago, and recently decided I might like to re-live the "airhead" experience. Hmm not so sure now, they are as badly designed and built than equivalent year Harleys.

but we will see

the forum is interesting,

Howard

hello Howard

You must be XS650 Howard!
I have a 1980 Special 2 & am currently trying to get Rick F. to sort out a revised side stand bracket so I can fit one of your oil filter conversions together with sump spacer. May have to give up on the spacer if he doesn't come up with something soon. I only live 15 miles from him.
However, I digress - I bought an '83 R80ST, slightly tatty but (I think) low mileage last month. Quite a change from Japanese bikes. Am cleaning/tidying presently & have fitted different 'bars, a braided brake hose, fork gaiters & new clutch cable so it should be good to go if it ever stops raining then I'll see what/if anything else needs doing.
The ST seems to held in high regard by those in the know. A lot converted to G/S clones but I won't be doing that, the idea is to use it, 2-up, on some of the Spanish classic bike rallies next year. Good luck with yours.
I'll see if I can post some photos once I've taken some.

yes that is me, I gave the firm to Rick in March, but still build a few race engines, we have just built an 880cc rephased to compete with the short stroke BMW that Matt Kingsmill races. The sump spacers fit most year bikes, BUT the side stands bracket appears to have welded on some years in a strange aplce, but it is do-able. The sump spacer allows you to drop the oil level whilst still keeping the volume up, we got +4hp when we dropped the level right down, oil drag is a killer at rpm

How much was your R80ST ?

I have stripped most of the one I bought apart, checking it over, then reassembling it. I probably paid too much for it ( £2500) it has 70,000 miles on it,. but good news I sold the GS tank it came with today

I sent the forks to Maxton, and decided that the rear shock could do with a change so ordered an NR4 from Maxton too

I am not really fussed what it ends up owing me, if I don't spend the £££ the tax man will get when I keel over

Back
Top Bottom