Reaction score
Come on then, show us your ST's.....

I shall start it off...

p232249593.jpg

:thumb2

Thats nice.

I was going to order one of these:

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/PUIG_Universal_Mini_Sports_Touring_Motorcycle_

Listed is one to fit R45 which I believe had the same instrument cluster as the R65 and the R80ST

Looks to be very similar.

Price is ok at £24.95 for a tinted one, plan to paint it white to match the white that I have just finished the bike in.

Will post up some pics once I get the tank graphics finished.

R80ST.jpg

Untouched since I bought it. Current thinking is an easily reversible cafe racer job. Reality is it will remain untouched for a bit longer. Too many distractions :D

1984 80ST (Yes its still an ST).
See other new thread Dr Nosh's 80ST Project story.

Attachments

• No 12 comp.jpg
    No 12 comp.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2,817
Graphics now on (Designed & drawn for size by me but 'copied' from....)
R80ST is in blue in the original font style (bit feint in the pic).

Now building wheels (see other thread about respoking paralever wheels).

Original shock spring powder coated.

R80STGraphics.jpg

Original shock spring powder coated. Had to make a 'jig' to compress the spring to allow the alloy end cap/eye to spin off.
Cap polished, body painted satin black.

No13Comp.jpg

Thats a class tool :thumb2

How did you hold the centre rod to stop it from turning ?

I need to replace the damper on my G/S.

Sorry they dont have a nut do they ,its the complete top end ,sorry for being a Fud and diving in:beerjug:Bike lookin good Doc :thumb

Thats a class tool :thumb2

How did you hold the centre rod to stop it from turning ?

I need to replace the damper on my G/S.

Ah, now thats the trick.

First, press out the rubber/steel bush because of what you have to do later on.
If you don't have a press, you can improvise with a 'large' bench vice. Place a 1/2 " drive socket just smaller than the eye that its located in, on one side and a large socket on the other side. Place this into the vice. You might need a 2nd pair of hands to help do this. Wind up the vice and literally push the rubber/metal bush from the eye into the larger socket.

I looked at car McPherson spring compressers - too big.
Specific motorcycle spring compresser (eg Sealy) approx £40.
Used 8 pieces of 2" angle and 4 pieces of M10 studding - Cost £0 = Result.

That is now in the 'specials' box, along with others made for other jobs. Its HD, so will last a long time.

If you compress the spring enough to leave the alloy end cap free from the spring, look carefully at the shaft immediately under the cap. SOME shafts have 2 flats to get a 10mm o/e spanner on. If not you will have to grip the shaft with mole grips (eugh!). The shaft is hard chrome plated so will withstand the grips. However if you do mark the shaft right at the end, don't worry, that part will never go past the damper seals as the bump stop rubber will prevent it.

Heat up the alloy end cap with a blow torch, gently, and put a steel bar into the eye of the cap and turn. Only heat it up enough to enable it to turn free. Conventional R/H thread. By heating, you will break down the threadlock used to secure the cap and shaft together.

The cap will drop off, and remember 'Its Hot'. The spring is now free to be removed. The chromed adjustment collar at the bottom of the shock can now be removed. You might need WD40 or similar and a little persusion.

The shaft on this shock did not have spanner flats so I carefully ground 2 x 1 mm flats opposite each other with the Dremel. Shaft is dia 12mm so with 2 x 1mm flats this will suit a 10mm spanner.:rob

Thank you for that, it was most informative.

I now have the technology :D

Took the panniers and frames off the ST at the weekend for the first time to reveal a very slender arse-end.

Quite surprised how different it looks and feels now - liking it!
1f63fe6e-f77c-d439.jpg
1f63fe6e-f78f-3461.jpg

Decals and Screen for an 80 ST

Hi the only photos I have were taken during the renovation, will take some this weekend and post. I am looking for a small screen/ wind deflector and I like the screen on England Kevs bike. Do you have a model ref no ?. I have been looking for a set of ST decals and am finding it nearly impossible. No problem for G/S GS etc but it seems that nobody makes them for the ST, any suggestions would be appreciated.

My first BMW was a R80ST which I had 22 years ago, and after looking on and off for a couple of years for another, I finally found one. Not been very far on it yet, but all seems well. I don't think it'll be coming out again until the salt's gone though.

dypk.jpg

vb2t.jpg

v0st.jpg

6qop.jpg

0xbg.JPG

mxhr.jpg

a0h3.JPG

w2qt.jpg

y7ny.JPG

pxe5.jpg

v6gp.jpg

x4mp.jpg

gjos.jpg

Nice to see an ST that hasn't been changed into a G/s. Lovely looking bikes and so much better than a G/s. Getting increasingly hard to find especially in that condition.

How did it get an MOT with a dual seat and no rear foot pegs?

Back
Top Bottom