Weird electrical fault

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Indicators / horn / heated grips / High beam indicator (except on 'flash') stopped working in Morocco. Pressing horn or winker buttons brought on the battery light (and some worry of charging issues).

As I had no recovery I continued and once happy it wasn't more serious just continued trip and onward to home (on basis I could live without those, compared to risk of worming around and losing all electrics).

As it's p*ssing down I've suspended the investigation today - the wiring diagram doesn't point to anything obvious, anyone any clues before I get stuck in - I've not seen this one before :confused:

It's not fuses or anything - I'm wondering about a bad earth or something common to all those, i.e. an earth or a connector?

Anyway, I'll let you know on discovery, but just being a bit lazy in hope of saving some time :thumb

it' sounds like an earth fault.

when you press the horn, it appears to earth through the charge light.

Earth lead..Make sure it's ok down by the g/box but don't overtighten the special breather bolt .......
Also check the positive side is all ok as well,, one of the smaller wires could be faulty:(

another possibility could be left hand switch wires, the earth one can be a bastard damhik :rob

wiered electrical fault

it is worth checking that the two relays under the tank are in thier sockets properly and are working ok. my 91 paralever did the same thing, i cleaned up the concections on the relays and it work as normal again:rob

and another simple thing to check and clean is the switch connector where it meets the wiring loom under the tank - often the culprit of intermittent electrical issues.

And the winner is......

No of yer :p

Once I found it, it was obvious...ain't that the way.

Grips,indicators, horn, all have a connection as....

The 4th fuse.

Assumed dodgey wire, but after some experimentation it was the fuse itself - doh :augie

Wasn't blown, just wasn't 100% fine either, must have been a bit 'wobbly', worked then didn't then did, replaced and no further problem.

Anyway, if that isn't the case I'll find out in due course but it all seems fine enough

ta for advice :thumb

Just returned from a few days away on the NC500 and experienced the same weird electrical sympyoms as the OP.
Tank off and checked the 2 small relays, both were corroded. Cleaned up the spade terminals and no further faults.
R100gser diagnosed this @ thread reply 10 years ago.
Just for info if anyone else experiences this with their Airhead.

Back
Top Bottom