XT 55W - Why so Special ??

flytoolow

Reaction score
Next year a few like minded friends and I are organising what can best be described as "Green Lane-ing in Rural Greece and the Islands". 3 couples, 3 "Classic" bikes, a bike trailer and a Huge RV.

So Im in the market for a "classic" enduro for around 1500 Euros/ pounds ...whatever. The other bikes will be a Matchless G80 CS and probably a XT500.

I like the XT500...but Im not sure its "me" and also I have concerns about 2 up carrying capacity and I cant justify the price vs availability...Seems the market place is full of imported models. Not much decent in my price bracket and also I dont want to loose gobs of money if I decide to resell.

So Im starting to short-list bikes from the mid 80s period, with the probable intent of using it as a fun bike/ mod it to a Paris Dakar or fettle it to its former glory at a later stage...

Currently these are..

Honda XL600 (Probably the LM - dual headlights and larger tank)
Yamaha XT600 (34L , 55W or 1VJ)

The Honda.. because its a Honda, and has a larger tank, the LM is a bit more rare than the R, and has electric start..

The Yamaha..for pretty much the same reasons.( 34L..55W and 1VJ)

Heres the question - Why does the 1985 XT600 55W command such a price differential over the 1VJ model produced the following year? Is it because it was the "last in the kick only" series, 30L tank, or it was only produced for a single year... etc etc

Brief investigations show that the 55W ( and to an extent the 34L) models are usually commanding a 100 premium over the 1VJ models - although externally they show little difference. The XT 500 I can understand being the "start of an era" (although I am still at a loss at the price they currently command..:nenau...and theres a lot of trash out there)...

So why is it ?? :nenau:nenau

If youve got any other ideas...Id like to hear them as well..

Last edited:
There is a lot of feeling that the 1VJ was the model that almost ruined the Tenere. They had overheating problems - mainly caused by the airbox being moved under the tank (which also reduced fuel capacity) and the sides of the tank were extended downwards meaning it covered more of the engine.

It's funny that that perceived issue (and some people don't have problems with it) can outweigh the benefits of the later model like availability and electric start.

There's also the rareness of a 55W because they only made them for one year, even if there were only small changes compared to the 34L.

And yes, sitting in my garage there is a French Blue 55W :)

I've never ridden a 1VJ so I can't help there I'm afraid. Head over to Tenere.co.uk and have a look there - it's a relatively small forum but to say it's full of experts would be an understatement.

The biggest problem with early Teneres is the 5th gear disintegrating. It's a well known problem (and now that I've ridden one I know why!) caused by accelerating too hard in top gear repeatedly. It's the sort of thing that is difficult to check for unless you know they've rebuilt or replaced the gearbox. Mine appears to be original and is in very good condition though.

If I was looking again and didn't mind not having electric start I'd go for a 34L (my favourite looking). If I didn't mind the fairing I'd go for a later one if possible. I don't know enough about the 1VJs to say whether their issues are terminal or not, but on paper the style of the 34L with electric start should be a winner.

Whats wrong with an SLR 650? same motor, same frame, no stupid plastic bits and a lot lighter and cheaper, I have a 1997 6000 mile example which is brill at green leaning etc just dies not have the bells and whistles

i have an 1983 xl6oo iv just aquired,its in really good condition (with a classic 80s paint job(union jack tank)prior to it being parked up in a garage it had the engine replaced with an 86 xr600 electric start version.so it needs the electric start wiring up ,a bigger battery and an mot!it ticks all your boxes.one thing i would say is i think that two up with camping gear may be a big ask for any of the bikes your contemplating.pm me if its of any interest to you.mike

Whats wrong with an SLR 650? same motor, same frame, no stupid plastic bits and a lot lighter and cheaper, I have a 1997 6000 mile example which is brill at green leaning etc just dies not have the bells and whistles

..Sorry for the delay in replying...hols n stuff ( READ : War Department needing attention.)

Thanks for the offer..but Im kinda set on an 80's XL or XT.

i have an 1983 xl6oo iv just aquired,its in really good condition (with a classic 80s paint job(union jack tank)prior to it being parked up in a garage it had the engine replaced with an 86 xr600 electric start version.so it needs the electric start wiring up ,a bigger battery and an mot!it ticks all your boxes.one thing i would say is i think that two up with camping gear may be a big ask for any of the bikes your contemplating.pm me if its of any interest to you.mike

..Interesting. Ill send you a PM...not sure about the patriotic logo...but we'll see.

BTW.. It wont be for a full-on two up touring event..Just for getting us to the tavernas / deserted beaches and back ....:friday

no prob,i collected the bike and changed the oil it started second kick,it was last taxed in 2006,iv put a new standard battery on it just to see if it had enough power to turn it over but,alas no,the speedo is showing 26,000km but as stated its had a new engine which i have reciepts for.my initial plan was to bring the bike back to a nice standard condition then sell it but onced id cleaned off the dust it really turned out to be a clean bike with would pass an mot without any problems.so ill either sell it as is or it can wait its turn with the other projects and restorations im working on.:D.mike

I've just returned from an 11,000 mile, 3 1/2 month tour of Central Asia on my 1VJ. Temps up to 52C. The only problems i had were electrical, oh and my rear shock blowing probably due to overloading.
Henry

I've just returned from an 11,000 mile, 3 1/2 month tour of Central Asia on my 1VJ. Temps up to 52C. The only problems i had were electrical, oh and my rear shock blowing probably due to overloading.
Henry

:thumb2 I'm very jealous!

Having had to completely rebuild the wiring loom on my 55W (and having seena few others in a similar state) I'm not surprised you had electrical issues.

If I was looking again and didn't mind not having electric start I'd go for a 34L (my favourite looking). If I didn't mind the fairing I'd go for a later one if possible. I don't know enough about the 1VJs to say whether their issues are terminal or not, but on paper the style of the 34L with electric start should be a winner.[/QUOTE]

...So how much would you expect to pay for one of these (34L or 55W) ????

These days......bugger all, apparently

I advertised my very original 1983 34l on UK Ebay a couple of months ago

Absolutely original and good condition externally, and the internals were completely, and I mean completely, overhauled by David Lambeth to the tune of around £1500 last year

The engine sounds like a sewing machine, (although not the exhaust :thumb)

Anyway, it didn't hit reserve and the highest bid was £1250 :eek:

There is a really shitty one on Ebay (UK) at the moment that will probably go for around £700 and there is a beauty on Ebay (It) that is advertised for 2500 Eur. Wait for the Italian Euro to collapse and grab a bargain :augie

These days......bugger all, apparently

There is a really shitty one on Ebay (UK) at the moment that will probably go for around £700 and there is a beauty on Ebay (It) that is advertised for 2500 Eur. Wait for the Italian Euro to collapse and grab a bargain :augie

Thats kinda what Im hoping....:augie

I think we are talking about the same bike on ebay(UK). That was the reason I posted this.

Cheers

F2L

There are 2on Ebay UK now, one which has been butchered and is a 55W (the front sprocket is welded on :eek::eek::eek:) Thats around £500 with 3 days to go

The other is a 34L that looks better with six days to go and starting at £650

It is impossible for a 30 year old thumper not to be shagged to some extent. I'd go for as good as you can afford in the first instance

Glad mine didn't sell - it's a keeper now, they sell for such a small amount of money seemingly

King of bikes the 34L :blagblah:blagblah

Yeah,

Noticed the 34L. Its only about 10 miles from where I need it to be over the winter...

(I have a "MASTER" bike builder as a close friend - Most of his stuff ends up with write ups in Classic Trail bike magazines etc - He spent 23 years finding bits for a HRC Trail bike (1 of 2 apparently) - and now he's rebuilding a 1956 Matchless - baremetal job - When it comes to bikes hes kinda crazy but the work he does is astonishing...:drool)

Some very good bikes on ebay.it - A bit too pricey for my needs ( plus getting it back to Switzerland / Import taxes / send to Manchester for a "Master" Fettle & then back to Switzerland...

Ill watch the 34L....and maybe do some more enquiries...:augie

(Also looking at Honda XL600 LMs - one on ebay at the mo as well...)

Keep ya posted...

How are the Arab states treating ya ?

Glad mine didn't sell - it's a keeper now

And a cracker she is too :friday

Mine's still in the same old state unfortunately! Just need to do a few little jobs then I can get it registered, but it's been at that stage for at least 9 months!

Hello....
I had xt550, ok but got stolen in Khartoum...

I imported xt600z 55w..dogs bollox, incredible machine, did deserts in Sudan alone never any problems whatsoever... Nubian desert incredible, high dunes, solitude....

Value because sought after probably because best ever no compromise single year production...imported UK then sold to person who turned around and rode to Mombasa and back without fault....

Never settle for anything less than a 55W

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom