North Wales : May 2005 Anyone interested?

rocks

Reaction score
Dear All,
Just posting to see if there would be any interest in a weekend in North Wales, in May 2005.

The initial idea would be to stay just out Llangollen at one of the campsites.

A couple of round the mountain trips on saturday and sunday.
There are a some good bars in Llangollen and a good scattering of BnBs in the area for those not wishing to camp.

Presently just an idea.. however i would appreciate your comments, ideas, view and opinions.

Cheers..

The Hand hotel in Llangollen was the venue for a GS event in March 2002, an excellent weekend.... from what I recall we virtualy took over the Hotel.... make sure it doesn't clash with the BMF in May though :thumb

If it doesn't clash with anything else then lets have a bash. Would be nice if we could all be accomodated in the same hotel.

Questions, questions....
Might be interested, but:

1) Would it be Friday to Sunday - 'cos there is no fun in me riding down for the Saturday and having to ride back up at night.

2) Would the ride outs be exclusively on tarmac, or is there going to be some thought given to a fords or off-road run?:D :D :D

orienteering.. and hotels..

Hi Guys,
i will try to get intouch with the hotel you mention and check on prices/places and dates etc..
I personally dont mind tentage.. as i do a lot of camping and can put on large marquee or tentage usually..

I will check on the dates. I cant do the bankholiday most likly.. as i am usually away them..

One idea i had was.. how do people feel about a bit of Motorcycle Orienteering.. as well as some big group rides.

Orienteering on bike, consisting of 2-4 people groups.. list of locations ( coords).. each location has a letter code and some clues.. winners are the first team to return with all of the codes and answer to the clues.. Gives those GPS users some fun..

The locations can be either.. standard roads, or if people really want i can really get you out in the mud..

Fri to Sunday

Rev, sorry missed your post whilst writing the above.
The plan would be to have a Friday till Sunday..

Rides can be planned for both.. if you want roads, i can do roads. If you wish mud track, dirt roads then i can do these..

The amount of mud will depend on weather.. but people "really" want to get off road,, then i may be able to oblige, but will have to check with local land owner.. he is usually fairly helpful..

Since i didnt go to the 2002 meet.. what did you guys get upto at that one? Anything you wish to repeat ( apart from the copious drinking)..

Hotel info here Rocks :thumb

<iframe name="cwindow" style="border:0" width=750 height=500 src="http://www.ukhotel.com/north-wales/hand-hotel.htm"></iframe></div>

Re: orienteering.. and hotels..

rocks said:
One idea i had was.. how do people feel about a bit of Motorcycle Orienteering..

I like that idea.

Cprwen Forde

Arh.. corwen forde.. straight over from the lights.. only problem is best to walk/wade it first.. its deep and local farmers keep stringing barbed wire across it.

Though its really is only 4x4 territory if the river is high.. need a dry spell to make it rideable and lots of stones in it.. so easy to go over..

Re: Fri to Sunday

rocks said:
Since i didnt go to the 2002 meet.. what did you guys get upto at that one? Anything you wish to repeat ( apart from the copious drinking)..

There were the usual on road rides off road rides.... an awfull lot of drinking and there's an excellent Curry house Llangollen... I seem to remember giving the waitress a £5 tip..... her smile alone was worth it :D:D:D

PS Paul Young really enjoyed the off road ride :eek: :eek: :D

If I can make it, I'd certainly be happy to run a fords rideout if people fancy one :D

Fanum said:
If I can make it, I'd certainly be happy to run a fords rideout if people fancy one :D

If I can make it, I'd be up for that - sounds like we'd need to remember to bring some wire cutters ;)

Grand tour..

I see a grand tour of north wales fords coming on..
There are a few, but some are fairly small.. however i will do some recce work this winter and see what i can find.

Yup

Yup.. cheers.. I will check a few out and see if i can put a nice ride route togather from it.

Oh no, what have I started? ;)
Rocks, I would have to come back up the road on Saturday night, can't make Sundays. :(

Saturdaay Swimming..

Hi Rev, No worries.. would probably plan the ford rides for the saturday morning so people have a chance to dry off before the evening..

From the look of it, we could fit in 4 or 5 fords without having to push the miles to high, though i will do some recce riding to check the suitability. The wetrodes website, is 4x4 biased, so will check.

I can also combine the ford trip with some forrestry roads, if they are still open and summer logging hasnt started.

The first task will be to set the date and check on hotel availability... will try to get onto this later tonight.

Though i still fancy the orienteering..

Back
Top Bottom