Wapping's Wanders 2012 - A four-dayer Normandy and maybe Brittany - DEFINITE DATES

Wapping

Reaction score
PROVISIONAL DATES, subject to me finding some hotels etc. and doing some work on what is shut in French France over the religious holiday period.

Out, late afternoon Thursday 05 April

Back, for a train late afternoon Monday 09 April

What to do? Well, I guess the D-Day sites. Maybe the Chinese WW1 cemetery, the Baie-de-Somme steam railway, Honfleur, Carnac etc etc, too? No doubt we'll come up with something.

Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorbike.

Mileages? Not too bad, but maybe a longish scoot back on the last day?

Numbers? Six to eight bikes, depending on hotel bookings.

LOCKED ONLY WHILE I SORT THE DEFINITE DATES OUT.

I HOPE THE PROVISIONAL DATES SHOWN WILL WORK.

One hotel has now confirmed my reservations. I hope to have confirmation from the second tomorrow. As soon as I do I'll unlock the thread.

THE DATES ARE NOW FIRM

Our two hotels have confirmed.

I have reserved:

Two singles (one gone to me)

Two doubles (four adults)

Two twins (four adults)

Only because that was an easy combination to make.

I can probably extend the bookings a bit, too. But, if bods are happy to share or I can have more rider / pillion doubles, it makes life a bit easier. Could bods could post up what they would like, please.

I want to limit the total numbers of bikes to six or eight if possible. I don't mind more but it makes cafe stops awkward, particularly if we are doing it all a bit pot-luck. First come first served basis and I'll be as fair as I can be.

========

Hotels / things to see and do

Thursday 05 April About 40 minutes SSW of Calais, in a small village.

I will look to see if the Baie de Somme steam train is running, as we could pass quite close-by on Friday morning. It might be worth a ride?

Friday / Saturday / Sunday 06-07-08 April I have booked us a hotel in Vire. I have never been there before. I suspect that like a lot of the NW French towns it was rebuilt in the late 40's / early 50's having been flattened in the war. I plucked it at random, many of the hotels nearer the coast all being overfull already or VERY expensive. The town itself is within easy striking distance of the Normandy D-Day beaches, Bayeux for the tapestry (it really is worth seeing) and / or maybe a (longish, if we use the minor roads) run down to Carnac and back to see the standing stones.

As an alternative for those that do not want to recreate the Longest Day, look at millennia old but neatly arranged stones or ancient tapestry work, I will do up some suggested ride-outs and / or look at what is available at Cherbourg. The dive museum / Sea World and nuclear submarine are there, I think?

=========

Trains:

I have booked myself onto:

OUT 05/04: Departure time 15:20

BACK 09/04: Departure time 18:20

Richard

Now available:

One singles (one adult)

One double (two adults)

Two twins (four adults)

Go on then well have the other double room if we may:beerjug: Stuart and Anne:thumb

Go on then well have the other double room if we may:beerjug: Stuart and Anne:thumb

Excellent, thanks.

Now available:

Two twins (four adults)

===============

Wanderers to date

Wapping (Richard)
dxtans (David & Pauline)
Kev B (Kevin)
FERRET (Stuart & Anne)

Also now booked, same as above:thumb

Suprised my wife wasnt barred after the last trrip:blast

I have had a problem (as only the French can) with the hotel.

Don't worry, the jaunt will still be on :thumb2

I just need to probably find another hotel.

Richard

Hotel rebooked - Jaunt is on!

I have rebooked our hotel in Normandy, moving us back to the coast.

Train out: Thursday 05 April Departure 15:20 (unchanged)

Train back:
Monday 09 April Departure 18:20 (unchanged)

Hotels:

Thursday 05 April: http://www.fermeduvert.com/

Friday 06 April thro' Sunday 08 April: http://www.bellevue-hotel.fr/

====

I have spare:

Two twins (both available)

Please ping up interest in this thread.

Suitable for? The usual, anyone who can ride a motorcycle and has a half decent sense of humour. We can do the D-day sites, have a ride about or even just east ice creams on the beach.

Richard

Hi Dave,

Yup, it's full.

Normally I would try to squeeze somebody in, but I have had endless grief with the hotel. Odd, as it never normally happens.

Leave it with me. I am back in London tomorrow and will see what I can do.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom