Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Four days - Dijon/Cote d'Or/Beaune -1 June - 5 June 2012

Wapping

Reaction score
PROVISIONAL DATES, subject to me finding some hotels etc.

Out, late afternoon train Friday 01 June OR early train Saturday 02 June.

Back, for a train late afternoon / early evening Tuesday 05 June

What to do? Ride our bikes.

Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorbike. There are some great roads. In short, it's not a look at lots of stuff jaunt.

That being said, we (or anyone) could take a run down to Beaune, which is definately worth a look. In fact, if we did the Friday train idea, we could perhaps stay there? Let's see what I can find.

Mileages? Dijon / the Cote d'or / Beaune is halfway down France, so it's a longish schlepp. We can take some of the sting out by using the motorway to knock off perhaps 100 miles, maybe. If we go over the evening before and make an earlyish start on the Saturday, we can do a bit more D-road stuff or go thro' to Beaune, perhaps?

Numbers? Six to eight bikes, depending on hotel bookings.

LOCKED ONLY WHILE I SORT THE DEFINITE DATES OUT.

I HOPE THE PROVISIONAL DATES SHOWN WILL WORK.

DEFINTE DATES: Friday 01-June - Tuesday 05 June - The June bank holiday weekend!

As this is the Queen's jubilee bank holiday weekend, Monday and Tuesday are holidays in the UK.

Train out: Friday 01 June - Departing 15:20

Train back: Tuesday 05 June - Departing 18:20

Hotels:

Friday 01 June - http://www.ferm-auberge-laraterie.com/modulosite2/legale-notices.htm

Saturday 02 June - Monday 04 June - http://www.lebourguignon.com/

========

I have reserved:

Two single rooms (one gone)

Two double rooms

Three twin rooms (One place gone to NeilDD, five places to go)

========

I will create Garmin routes for everyone and we'll use the marker 'drop-off' system.

Roads will mostly be a bit of motorway, followed by reasonably fast N and D roads.

The schlep back from Beze / Dijon to Calais is a reasonably long one (over 300 miles) but we can pick up the motorway for the last 100 if it suits.

There is lots of great riding to be had in the Beze / Dijon area, Again, I will produce some possible Garmin routes for everyone.

Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorcycle and who doesn't mind some longish distances. That being said, we will stop for elevenses, lunch, afternoon break etc. A sense of humour is a must. I did a similar wander last year; bods were polite enough to say they enjoyed it.

=====

Please reserve a slot via this thread, indicating whether you would like to share. I may be able to change the reservations around a bit but I don't want to do it every 10 minutes if you get my drift.

I will advertise the jaunt on another site, too. First come-first served basis.

Richard

Train out: Friday 01 June - Departing 15:20

Train back: Tuesday 05 June - Departing 18:20

I have reserved:

Two single rooms (one gone)

Tickets booked for those slots :thumb2

Am I the (one gone)?! :D Confirm a single room for me please.

:beerjug:

Tickets booked for those slots :thumb2

Am I the (one gone)?! :D Confirm a single room for me please.

:beerjug:

Two gone now.

You are one :thumb2

Have applied for leave, should get it hopefully so could I prov blag a place.

Ill sort my accn out Richard.

Thanks. Oh ive got G4 if you want me to sweep up at back :)

Hope you can make it :thumb2

If it's OK I will make the hotel booking for you. It makes it easier as I have several jaunts going on and want to keep a track of what rooms have gone, who's coming etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Richard

Allez le bump (or something).

This still happening? :augie

Still on.... :thumb2

I am in (or very near) Dijon at the moment, waiting for a tyre to turn up.... It's a public holiday :blast

------

After lots of runs down to Dijon over the years I think we have now hit on the best way of doing it.... Should be good.

Hi Richard

Been granted a pass :JB for your little jaunt.

Any chance of a single room :thumb2

Cheers Terry

Aha, a Wanderer returns. :thumb2

I don't see a problem.

I am stuck in Dijon at the moment with a shredded tyre, falling foul of French public holiday yesterday and the motorcycle dealers' being shut on Monday :blast Hey-ho, worse things may happen.

At least it's given me time to look at a map and dreami up other destinations.

Brummie, NeilDD and Paintman

Here are the routes in Mapsource, hosted on Dropbox

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/FINAL - Dijon June 2012.gdb

I have changed the hotels:

Friday night http://www.fermeduvert.com/

Saturday night http://www.lesoleil-dor.com/

Sunday and Monday night http://www.lebourguignon.com/

This will now give us two nights in Beze not three, but means we can take in the Morvan more easily on day two.

Richard

++++++++++++++++++

I have received assorted PM's about this Wander. If anyone is still interested in coming, let me know, please. I may still be able to get some hotel rooms.

What will you get?

Four days and four nights away, over the 'Jubilee Bank Holiday' (so making the most of a weekend and two days of Bank Holiday)

Some nice Logis hotels, some great roads in the Morvan and Cote d'Or region (overlooked by many tourists)

A fair bit of craic and no doubt a few beers.

Hello Wanderers,

I plan to be at the passenger waiting area (experience) thing in good time before the train departs, hopefully meet you all there.

As usual, can everyone leave the UK with a full tank, please. That way we can all get going on Saturday morning without setting off on a fuel hunt.

In case anyone has a problem getting on or off the train, I usually suggest we gather up at the first fuel station just to make sure we are all together. Two problems with that idea:

(1) Last time I went on the Chunnel, for the first time ever we were directed left on leaving the train, not right. This means that we did not pass the fuel station at all :blast

(2) We are not going that way anyway.

I suggest that we gather up at the top of the ramp, instead.
There are only four of us, not the sometimes gaggle of fifteen or more bikes, so it's quite safe. If anyone has a real problem and has missed the train* ping me a text and we'll sort something out. It's only about 40 minutes to the hotel, so we will never be miles away.

Richard

*It happened on a recent jaunt. A bod rocked up at the check-in in very good time to join our train. He punched in his number, only to then learn that someone had used the ticket already. Booooger!

It's easy for it to happen.

The tickets are individually numbered, say 123456, 123457 and 123458. Matey's is say 123457. If another earlier person, whose number ends in six or eight, mistypes their code (entering a seven instead of a six or eight) then they may well receive matey's ticket instead of their own.

As a result, matey is now stuck the wrong side of the check-in, discussing with the booth monkey how his ticket has somehow vanished.... I leave you to ponder how long that little game took to resolve :D

Route,s loaded :thumb2 They look like some very nice roads Richard:clap

hotels looked at (nice very nice)

Terry:beerjug:

Good stuff :beerjug:

I have heard from Paintman, too. So that is all of us near enough ready to go. It's a smaller group than some other Wanders, which means we can make good progress as massed food and fuel stops will be easier. We can be a bit more flexible, too. I have built in some leeway on the times, so it should all work out OK.

Back
Top Bottom