Wapping's Wanders - 'Beginners' weekend 28/29 April - DEFINITE DATE

Wapping

Reaction score
'Beginners' weekend

Please don't be put off by the title or some tosser (with a small t) taking the pee. Everyone had to start somewhere and you'd be surprised at how many PM's I receive expressing an interest in something similar and / or looking for advice. Several 'Wanderers' started out on the earlier 'Beginners' days (it's now grown into two days somehow) and are now wandering all over the place.

But, enough already..... Here's the deal:

Out: Saturday 28 April

Back: Sunday 29 April

Train out: 07:50 departure

Train back: 17:20 departure

I have bought my ticket £28 return, all in.

Where are we going: No definite plan yet, only as I am waiting for a couple of hotels to reply. I am hoping it will be a private / family hotel type o'thing. As soon as I know, you'll know too.

How far: I would guess at about 200 to 250 miles a day, some of which will be on a motorway. Let's guess at not more than 500 over the weekend in France. As we lose an hour simply crossing over I may well shove the motorway segment (it won't be miles and miles and miles) on day one, just to buy back some time. On the return leg we could think about cracking off reasonably smartish and do a longer run on some lesser roads. Let's see what the weather is like on the day, too.

Suitable for: Anyone who has never ridden abroad or anyone who just wants to have a trial run with a novice pillion..... old hands welcome too, but first call to 'beginners', if that's OK. It will bring in just about every type of road you may come across (motorways, National (N) and Departmental (D) roads, towns and villages)..... maybe the odd farm road too, if we get a diversion...... but nothing deliberately 'off-road' and nothing that I would not ride on my HP2 Sport, I promise.

Navigation: I will create Garmin Mapsource routes and we'll use the marker 'drop off' system. Don't worry if you don't know what it is. Lots of bods do.... and still get lost. Seriously, we will run thro' it before we set off in France.

Numbers: Let's say eight bikes in all, subject to me getting enough rooms. I will add a ninth if an 'old hand' wants to volunteer for a bit of tail gunner duty.

Richard

PS I will be offering the same jaunt on another (smaller) forum. If we get over subscription I will run another one, probably in September.

One slot gone, rider and pillion..... Tailend Charlie and his lady pillion, so that slot is gone.

It's my chum Phil along with Louise, known to some past Wanderers.... Phil, that is, not Louise.....

Seven slots spare for 'Beginners'....

PS If anyone wants to know about going (reasonably safely) quick, Phil's worth a chat to :thumb2

HOTEL CONFIRMED - All systems go!

The hotel has confirmed my provisional reservation for April next year.

We will be going to Bouillon in Belgium via France, so a two county jaunt into the bargain.

Why Bouillon?

(1) It is exactly the right distance away. Not too far, not too close.

(2) It can be reached using exactly the cross-section of roads I had hoped to use.

(3) The journey back, where we save an hour, can be extended.

(4) If it really pees down, it is possible to escape back from the hotel to Calais on the motorway.

(5) We have used the hotel (and routes) on several Wanders before. The hotel has good parking, the owners are friendly (please don't upset them, I want to go back) and there is a reasonably priced 'Pizza type' restaurant / bar just around the corner. I will definitely book us a table as it is sometimes a problem getting a sitting.

(6) I know it should all work, which is a plus......

Richard

PS I have hacked a provisional route in Google to give bods an idea.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...=dpe&mrsp=8&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=m&z=8

Fancy this trip, if there aren't enough beginners then put me +1 pillion to make up the numbers Richard,

Cheers

Fancy this trip, if there aren't enough beginners then put me +1 pillion to make up the numbers Richard,

Cheers

Same here - sounds like a good trip. Not a beginner, so if there are any spaces left once all the beginners have signed up that want to go, I'm in. Happy to tail end if needed, garmin sat-nav'ed up.

:D

'Beginners'

Wapping
One tail-ender (Phil & pillion)
nharrild (Neill)

Five or six bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
bakerlonglegs
dxtans & pillion

'Beginners'

Wapping
nharrild (Neill)
Duchess 1
Duchess 2

Three or four bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
bakerlonglegs
dxtans & pillion

Put me down please thats if there is a spare place. will be riding solo wife having her hair and nails done :blagblah will be 1st time riding over seas.

'Beginners'

Wapping
nharrild (Neill)
Duchess 1
Duchess 2
agent2494
Paula H (pooh)

Now only one or two bike spaces spare

=====

'Reserves'

Wilburt & pillion
bakerlonglegs
dxtans & pillion
Kev B

Wapping can you just confirm that its the chunnel and it leaving time as its say 08.00!!!!

Cheers

ALL COMPLETE!

'Beginners'

Wapping
nharrild (Neill)
Duchess 1
Duchess 2
agent2494
Paula H (pooh)
Jaq-Ass (and son, pillion)

FULL HOUSE

Now I just need to re-sort the rooms, which will make my head hurt!

Wapping can you just confirm that its the chunnel and it leaving time as its say 08.00!!!!

Cheers

It says: Thank you for booking with Eurotunnel. Please read and make note of your travel details below.

Check-in closes 07:20

Departure time 07:50

Arrival time 09:25

On mine

Cheers.

Ah ... Bouillon ... What a lovely place
Indeed Tom, we were there just over a week ago and it hasn't changed!

Looking forward to meeting the Girls n guys on this trip.... should be fun ;) (thanks to Richard)

Phil

All systems go!

Hotel all confirmed and rooms reserved:

Wapping - Single
nharrild (Neill) - Single
agent2494 - Single
Paula H (pooh) - Single
Ian Morton - Single

Jaq-Ass (and son, pillion) - Twin
Duchess 1 / Duchess 2 - Twin

One tail-ender (Phil & pillion) - Double

==========

I will make a booking for the restaurant across the road later.

==========

Routes etc. to follow in the new year.

Back
Top Bottom