Triumph Explorer....test ride

RichieS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well it had to be done, didn't it?
The very nice chaps at Bulldog Triumph in Winnersh lent me their demo for an hour or so and said, 'go and have a play'

My first impression, is that you tend to sit in it rather than on it, and although the seat was on its highest setting, i would have prefered it a bit taller. Apparently there is a higher seat, but that would be more dosh.

The dash looks overly complicated, but when you get used to it, its not too bad, but i am not a massive fan of digital speedos.

As i fired the engine up, i have to say i was a tad dissapointed in the engine note. It reminded me of the early K75 Beemers, with more of a whine than a nice triple roar which i had expected. The throttle is fly by wire and uber sensative compared to the GS, so it took a few minutes to re calibrate my right hand ( ooer missus)

The first thing you notice, is how much the bike wants to pull. It really is pretty seemless with a very positive gear box. The steering is much the same as the GS and pretty neutral, and dips into bends and corners very nicely holding the road.

Snicking through the gear box, it pulls from well down the rev range, all the way to top gear. I finally got to a nice open stratch of road and opened her up.......now this is where the difference really shows. It drives very much like the S10 or the Multistada.....ie, like a scalded cat and carries on going and going and going.

But all of this speed and pulling power has a weak point......the screen! Its adjusts in the same way as the GS, and although tall enough for my 6' frame, it is not wide enough and you can really feel the blast of your arms. Fine on a summers day, but not, i suspect on a motorway journey in mid winter.

Now the seat......BMW could REALLY learn a thing from Triumph here. Its excellent. Subjective i know, but much better than the one on my Triple Black.

Now some other bits and pieces. There was the optional fogs fitted to me test machine. Look cool and probabally work well enough in the dark, but the (additional) switch, does not illuminate so you dont know if they are on or off. And if they were on when you switch the bike off ( say at a petrol station) you have to turn them back on again. The rear saddle hides a small amount of storage space, but unlike the GS, has no plate to cover it, so you HAVE to have the rear seat on all of the time. Under the front seat are all the fused and electrical gubbins which are nice and easy to get to if you so require. The twin headlamps look awesome ( in the daylight at least), and i would like to thinkk that they perform just as well at night. The power socket is in a much better place budst behind the ignition barrel as opposed to under your arse( what were BMW thinking?)

My conclusions......It was a great fun ride, but for me, strange as it sounds, too fast and the throttle way to sensative ( and far to sensative for off roading should it ever see any gravel!). I felt that i could have got it to the 130mph mark with no effort, but if i wanted that i would have a k1300 or similar. The GS uses it power in a much nicer way, and whilst you may have to plan that overtake a bit more carefully, is that such a bad thing. I like my ESA, my intergated fog light switch, & intergrated heated grip switch ( yet another switch on the Explorer). The GS has a bit more rider involvement, a bit more character, and so, for now, i will remain faithful to the cause, but is suspect that there will be a big following for the new kid on the block. It IS a great bike, just not for me.

Hope this helps

Richie

Hi Richie:thumb2

Nice write up - out of interest is your current bike a GS or GSA that you are comparing against the Triumph?

My bike

Sorry all. Should have said, mine is a standard GS Triple black with Adventure Screen.

R

thanks for report richie, i hope the bike is a big hit. if i were in the market for a second hand gs1200 i suspect there will be plenty to view at the local triumph shop.

Too fast!!!!! You're getting old dude!

Bet they gave you a good price for your Bavarian pig-iron and you are in the midst of mental torment right now...

Nice write up going to have to try one myself though :augie
Your view is just what I imagined after a ride last year on a 800 triumph
When the salesman asked what I thought I told him the 955 was a better tourer
more relaxed the triumph triples seem far too racy now which I think becomes tireing after a while if your not on the mood to go for it
Which I think is the gs's main plus point it's relaxing to ride, easy power it's there just doesn't require huge amounts of consentration to ride it slow or fast :D

Too fast!!!!! You're getting old dude!

Bet they gave you a good price for your Bavarian pig-iron and you are in the midst of mental torment right now...

Didn't even discuss money. And even if i was going to change, i would sell privately. No mental torment in my mind!:thumb

After 5 years of repairing R1100GS, I have ordered today Triumph Explorer, let's see what will be reliability, cause I'll use it quite hard :)

Best of luck what with the 10 k service interval it should be good seeing what the reliability issues are going to be like we all know the quirks and niggles with the GS , I've got a test ride Saturday will make up my mind then

Didn't even discuss money. And even if i was going to change, i would sell privately. No mental torment in my mind!:thumb

Richie,

I agree with most of your very good write up. I summed the bike up as about 10%+ more. More Power, More Presence, More Speed, More Acceleration and I suspect More Fuel Consumption. It was very stable and a responsive handling bike though. The dealers were keen to get their hands on my bike, one suggesting that he had people waiting for them (a twin cam model). However, I also have people waiting to buy mine privately, which makes you think! :augie If I sell now, it would be the cheapest new motoring I have had.

In the end I got a copy of Glasses guide to price it privately and have agreed a price if I sell privately- if I decide to buy a Explorer ;)

One thing to add to what you covered have already, the mirrors, I thought they were great - I could clearly see my mate disappear in them when I wound it on :D

It is a great bike...... I would be supporting UK PLC and a for host of other reasons I could justify buying one, but I still have that soft spot for the GS :)

It could be a dalliance with some opposition, whilst BMW get the W/C to the table?

The power socket is in a much better place budst behind the ignition barrel as opposed to under your arse( what were BMW thinking?)

They were thinking, quite correctly, that under your left bumcheek is the best location for a power socket in which to plug your electric heated vest.

I took one for a test ride and loved it. I then went back to dealer who told me my 08 gs was worth 6000 euro in the trade. So I think I will be keeping my gs unless I find 9000euro out walking my dog. If anybody out there is thinking of buying a bike Ireland has the cheapest prices in europe for used bikes, and with sterling the way it is you could pick up a real bargin!

By the way, 6000euro is 4800stg for a 08 mk2 gs with 24,000 miles on it and a brand new pair of pilot road 3's on it!!

The extra high seat is £162.00 or so I've been told:augie

It's also a special layered gel and very very comfortable!

I took an Explorer out from Youles in Blackburn when it had just passed the 1000 mile mark. I was expecting a lot, because I had the 1050 Tiger which was a superb bike with an amazing engine. I have to be honest, the 1200 Triple, whilst having masses of Torque, left me cold it was so linear!! there was absolutely no step in power at all, nothing to excite me even a little bit.... over all a good bike, but I went for a new GS instead, the Triple Black won me over, and the riding position is better on the beemer I think and the engine does have a kick if you rev it..

I'd like to see the second generation Tiger 12, see what they improve... a great first attempt though to be fair..

Went to look at an 800xc on friday with my mate who was interested in one at signpost corner in ashford kent. They had 2 demo bikes on 2010 plates and i can honestly say i have never seen a 2 year old bike with such a poor finish. Every fastener was seriously corroded one had a panel hanging off on the left hand side by the tank which they'd tried to re-attach with what looked liked double sided tape. The new one in the showroom looked a great bike and i know they have a good reputation but if it was going to look like the demo after 2 years it is'nt good. I hope triumph have improved the quality over the 800 for the 1200 as it looked great in the flesh. I have to say actually all the demo models they had out front had the same poor finish speed triple etc except the rocket, that appeared to have stood up ok so they can do it. The 2 old 955 tigers they had for sale were in much better nick than the demo's by comparison.

Back
Top Bottom