My thoughts on the 800 Tiger

My 800XC has just passed 20'000 miles, 4'000 in the last two weeks with no problems, which is more than can be said for the BMWs with me. :augie

Let's put the BMW problems into perspective:-

> Puncture...could happen to anyone...:D
> Mirror nut required tightening...please...:rob
> Ignition loom...bit more significant, but resolved and my first tow job...:eek:

And should we mention a certain seat moment......:green gri

Let's put the BMW problems into perspective:-

> Puncture...could happen to anyone...:D yup
> Mirror nut required tightening...please...:rob 0n two bikes
> Ignition loom...bit more significant, but resolved and my first tow job...:eek: and rear wheel about to fall off :eek:

And should we mention a certain seat moment......:green gri
no we should not, becacause it was not a fault :D

Think I'm going to buy myself a RT if it's any good in the morning. :blast

Pls also read above.

Same with your post really :nenau

50 miles?

FFS it takes takes more than 50 miles to find out if a new pair of kecks are going to be comfortable.......how the ferk did you honestly expect to tune in to a bike, particularly one with very different characteristics from what you are used to, and have any sort of valid opinion after a measly 25 miles out and back?:blast

Must try harder......

:1/10

Well said Billy Boy !!!!

Why do people start such pointless threads as these and then proceed to show how fucking thick they are in a few lines ?......weird !!!!

How very rude ........ FYI Mr Arsehole I've had loads of experiance with Hinckley Triumphs so felt perfectly able to pass the comment that appears to have offended you so much :nenau.

I've no idea what Fanum thought I was comparing the 800XC with but at the time of the road test I owned a MK1 Speed Triple, a 1050 Speed Triple, an 1200GSA and an R1200RT not forgetting the 1200 Triumph Trophy and a 900 Triumph Thunderbird Sport. So fuck knows what he's on about?

Hey Ho onward and upward :comfort

TIGER

just picked a new 800 xc on friday,

chopped in my 1200 gsa,

so far love the tiger,yep for me the bigger screen is required,engine feels great,

deciced after riding from saigon to hanoi in vietnam on a 125 step though the gsa is just too big,geat bike but deciced 1200cc is not required,

dont think any bike is as well made as it used to be,like the look of the tiger over the 800gs and thought british is the way to go.......:D

chopped in my 1200 gsa,

so far love the tiger,yep for me the bigger screen is required,engine feels great,

deciced after riding from saigon to hanoi in vietnam on a 125 step though the gsa is just too big,geat bike but deciced 1200cc is not required,

dont think any bike is as well made as it used to be,like the look of the tiger over the 800gs and thought british is the way to go.......:D

Did you not fancy the 1200 Explorer?

I took an 800 tiger out for about an hour 60 odd miles, thought it would be the ideal size for solo adventure style bike, loved the first 10 miles then the revvy engine started to annoy me, and I knew I wouldn't want to ride it that far, then the really flat bars started to hurt my thumbs:blast stange never had that on any bike before :nenau.
by the time I got back to the dealer I knew it wasn't for me, I'm going to try the 1200 but I think the triple will be too revvy/busy for me I like big twins can't help it.:D
Took a new GS and GSA out yesterday wasn't overwelmed by the GS but loved the GSA just wondering where the hell I can get £14 from :blast
going to try a S10 as well but GSA has it for me at the moment :thumb
It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things :comfort

Bikes aren't built as well as they used to be. ALL have problems, corrosion etc, but at the end of the day, its which bike you like to ride the most. I've still got my Tuono as haven't decided which way to go yet, and haven't had any test rides, mainly due to time/weather. I love the torque from the V twin but don't need that much power anymore. Most bike forums I've joined to find out about bikes have people complaing of probelms, and BM's have their fair share.

chopped in my 1200 gsa,

Big debate going on in this household over proposed trip to China. Roynie is a dyed-in-the-wool Triumph man. I like the look and feel of the 800XC, but I'd prefer something with a bit more of a track record. (Also, I've distrusted Triumphs slightly since R's 955i Tiger, implicitly targeted at the armchair off-road/enduro audience, but proved utterly crap when it landed on its side in a low-speed spill and kept running - resulting in a broken cam rod and a large hole in the engine casing = write off!)

Took the 800 out for a test ride yesterday, was out for 2 hrs and in that time my mind was changed a few times. At first I thought it was under powered, probably as I'm used to the Tuono, but if you used the revs, it performed realy well. The handling was planted and I reduced the size of the chicken strips considerably. It pulled in top from 30 without any drama, which impressed me. The screen fitted was the adjustable one, which wass pretty rubbish in the high postition, and only ok in low. I enjoyed chucking it round the twisty roads, but not too sure how it would be with the mrs on the back. Anyway, on the way home called into Coopers and had a bit crack with a salesman there, and will be taking a GS1200 out soon. Looking forward to that.

Hello all,

1st post blar blar. Have owned my Tiger 800 now for 18 months. As with everything a few tweeks required to suit "my" taste - bar risers for one, lower seat, de-catting - that sort of thing. As in life one man's meat is another man's poison. I've never owned a BMW but did test ride the 800gs & 650gs (800 engine) a couple of years ago at a bmw day at Mondelo. The 650 I felt was awful in both looks and performance. The 800 was a struggle due to me being vertically challenged. On the move it was OK, but no better than that. More power than the "650" obviously but quite vibey and should it be one of your requirements - not as quick as the Tiger 800.
Build quality I find to be good. The only rusty parts are 3rd party components that I've added and in the course of time cursed their creators for shite quality. The Hepco & Becker top box mounting plate being a case in point. Looks like an annual respray there. Several Touratech parts have been removed now and I've made better myself to replace them. Suppose that could be part of the problem in being an early adopter.

All in all I give the Tiger (roadie version) 8.5 to 9 out of 10.

iv had mine a while now, had an 1150gs before which was great, bought a 1200gs after, (earlyish one ) and was blighted with problems, sold it in the end, had enough, but i hear the newer ones are much better,that put me off bmw for a while......
i borrowed a 800gs and just did not like it, vibey and seemed a bit underpowered,not too impressed with handling. (i tried more than one bike and for many miles),
so i looked at triumphs, didnt want the 1000cc plus ones so got an 800xc off a mate, very impressed, build quality is good, although the odd nut/bolt is tarnished, and the spokes showed a very small amount of rust, easily removed (the bike was in a dampish garage for a year due to owner having a stroke)..
engine wise, perfect ,been around a few years so pretty proven, goes more than quick enough, and enough low power to potter about, no real vibes, handling, better than the 800gs, but maybe the 1200gs had it on handling , it was maybe more stable on fast corners, imo, the 800 engine is hard to beat , with no more problems (or even less) than most other makes..
all round i like the triumph, i would maybe consider a new big bm in the future, but unless i start doing touring in a big way (i mean 600mile plus days)again im sticking with my 800...
dealer wise, it seems very varied, some good, some crap.about the same as bmw,
downsides, puncture repairs harder, not quite as roomy as a big bmw, dealers are too dear, (but i do my own servicing)
upsides, great motor, well built, handles and tours good, easy access via tunecu /dealertool/tigertool to fault find and change mapping if tuned eg, (mines an early one, later ones have no map change capability)50mpg plus.
accesory wise, about as much choice as bmw...
i miss the feel of the big twin, but its not enough to make me go back,

I would never buy one as i dont like them but it was a tiger 800 that finally persuaded me to change the XR. Why ? well ..........

When we were in the Picos last month we were riding the N621 ( potes to Riano the great road where the bronze goat is you know the one ) for the second time of the trip.

We set off out of Potes and tagged onto a Spanish bloke, who turned out to be a local who rides that road every weekend and has done for 20 odd years, on a tiger 800. He was good, fucking good and had the local knowledge and it took us 20 miles before we could actually use the extra BHP and get past him. I do not think that in that 15 miles or more i got out of second gear which is over 100 mphon the short straights. Right up his chuff but not long enough straights to get on him and do him on the brakes

That Spanish bloke was wringing the neck of that 800, every bit that could scrape the road without falling off was doing. When we got to the bronze goat he stopped and shook our hands !

Anyway it showed me that BHP is not, on roads like that, king. Yes it helps but can actually hinder as well.

It also proved that the Tiger is a very capable bike in the right hands.

The Hypermotard would have destroyed him on that road

I did 50 miles on one a couple of weeks ago and fail to understand what all the bloody fuss was about? :nenau

I had one for a year when they first came out and thought it was great. When I traded it in for the 1200 on the strength of all the positive articles I felt like I was making a mistake.

It was very easy to live with, did everything well and was fun.

I must admit even though you haven't exactly explored every aspect of a bike in 50 miles you should already have a reasonable first impression of it

I tried an XR and a GS back to back and within less than 50 miles i knew I didn't want an XR but I signed on the dotted line for a GS

I tried a T100 and a T120 back to back and within less than 50 miles i knew I didn't want a T100 but I signed on the dotted line for a T120

Back
Top Bottom