Pub Lunch & Route Recommendations.

I think your small ford might currently be a raging torrent at the mo, but a local that knows the roads is an absolute boon. As Freddie and Sue found out a couple of years back, i know a few lesser well known runs on the moor too!:bounce1

I'll check it out this week. It's only a small one though. :thumb2

The last time we had torrential rain it wasn't too bad and was still perfectly crossable - even two up on a cruiser!

CiderBash139.jpg

As mentioned in The Walkies section, it's Paignton Bike Festival from Friday to Sunday this weekend. For those that may want to head there for a day out, a good lunch stop can be found at The Sea Trout Inn at Staverton, around 4 miles out from Paignton.

Went out for the day and recce'd the route I've got in mind. The ford was a bit swollen :blast so I found a nice little detour that avoided it. Overall the roads are fine with just a couple or so corners with loose gravel over them caused by the rains.

We ended up back at the campsite and got talking to Zena. She kindly showed us around the site. The camping area is fine, firm but slightly on the soft side. She indicated an area of hardstanding that she will be opening for the weekend, purely for parking the bikes as she's worried they may sink in the grassy areas. The site really is in a lovely situation and is very quiet. All you can hear are the birds singing and the distinct gurgle of the river. I expect it may be a bit noisier at the weekend! :D :thumb2 Madmountainman - you should be congratulated on a brilliant choice. :bow

Looking forward to it.

Went out for the day and recce'd the route I've got in mind. The ford was a bit swollen :blast so I found a nice little detour that avoided it. Overall the roads are fine with just a couple or so corners with loose gravel over them caused by the rains.

We ended up back at the campsite and got talking to Zena. She kindly showed us around the site. The camping area is fine, firm but slightly on the soft side. She indicated an area of hardstanding that she will be opening for the weekend, purely for parking the bikes as she's worried they may sink in the grassy areas. The site really is in a lovely situation and is very quiet. All you can hear are the birds singing and the distinct gurgle of the river. I expect it may be a bit noisier at the weekend! :D :thumb2 Madmountainman - you should be congratulated on a brilliant choice. :bow

Looking forward to it.

Distant gurgles? Reminiscent of East Mids a couple of years ago when tent barfing was all the rage.

Brilliant choice

Some things are definite, others only certain:aidan

For sure you can guarantee Big Rich' would choose a great site and I'm sure we will be quaffing some great beer and eating busting' scoff:beer::thumb:thumb2:thumb2:thumb:clap

If it's of any use to someone, I've plotted the route I intend to take on Saturday and attached it as a Mapsource file below. It's 130 miles long and takes in quite a few of Exmoor's stunning roads and scenery. It's not a fast route and there's a fair few narrow, twisty and even single track roads to negotiate. A tea/coffee stop by the river can be factored in the morning (we'll carry flasks of hot water and all the necessaries), a lunch stop at Lynmouth where there are plenty of eateries, whether it be pub lunch, fish and chips or locally made pasties you prefer. I have allowed for an ice cream stop on Minehead seafront - the locally made Styles ice cream is delicious. Then it's a roundabout route back to the site, crossing over Exmoor near Dunkery Beacon, it's highest point.

Leaving at 10.30 am we should be back for approx 5.00 pm.

Here are few pictures we took yesterday.

Exmoor006.jpg

Exmoor007.jpg

Exmoor012.jpg

Exmoor031.jpg

Exmoor035.jpg

Exmoor039.jpg

Exmoor049.jpg

Attachments

• Exmoor Explorer.gdb
    85.1 KB · Views: 169

Back
Top Bottom